ad: M2Ant-1

The Top 2 Issues EVERY IC-7610 owner needs to check for.

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VK3BL, Jun 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0MDA

K0MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good turn of events with my 7610 and ICOM. After a little back and forth with ICOM they are issuing a call tag to ship the radio back for repair/replacement of the screen.

Upon a more thorough evaluation of my unit, I've determined that in addition to the burn in, I've got the milky wash out starting from right to left. I hope that their new screen supplier is a better unit.

I'll update when I ship the unit and when I get it back. It's gonna suck to not have my radio but at least it'll be back to 100% when returned.

73s
    K0MDA
    Mike Arnold

2. K0MDA

Unit has been shipped and it's on it's way to Washington state for repair. Now I play the waiting game. I'm happy that ICOM made the right decision and issued a call tag.

K0MDA

3. K0MDA

FedEx delivered my radio today. We will see how long it take for the ICOM wizards to replace and ship my radio back to me.

4. K0MDA

Received my radio this evening. All looks well and the screen is crisp and clear again. I had the output power checked and it was verified at 105 watts per ICOM and all the heat-sinks were as they should be. I must say I am very pleased with how ICOM handled this.

Also, the packing was in the original boxes as it was shipped, however the folks at the repair facility improved upon the packaging by adding the foam filled plastic to the factory packing. I was very impressed by that level of care.

Mike Arnold

K0UO and N9FM like this.
  5. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad you're impressed and glad I didn't buy one:rolleyes::p:D

6. W4WTS

W4WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

By any chance, does anyone know the last SN of the 7610 that shipped with the old manufactures displays? Or rather, how can we tell which ones are suspect?

7. K0MDA

I tried to get a range from ICOM but they wouldn't divulge the information.

8. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

The only way that information will ever come out is by compelling it through discovery.

9. W4JF

W4JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the original display replaced, due to clouding-up, a few months ago. Now, my replacement screen is cloudy in a different way and has noticeable burn-in on certain parts of the display. I have been assured that the screen will be replaced, again, under warranty. But I will have to cough-up another almost $100 for shipping. None of the display issues affect the operation of the radio in the slightest...the radio is the best rig I have ever owned with a fantastic receiver. I have been putting-off returning the rig for another screen replacement because it's my opinion that whatever they replace it with will eventually fail as well. I am concerned that Icom may not be working hard enough on this problem to find a working solution for the 7610 display. It is a very frustrating situation for all of us that are experiencing this problem on such a nice transceiver.

10. K0MDA

Push the issue and make them pay for shipping. The same issue is unacceptable.

11. WB0TYZ

WB0TYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sent my 7610 back on 9-18-19. Purchased 6-24-19 because of burn in. SN#12003887. No word as of 10-5-19.

12. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HMMM??? Say Larry, I guess I'm one of the LUCKY ONES since I've owned mine since "FEB. 2018"!!! Absolutely (NO ISSUES), so far??? :-/
    But really from what a number of guys out here have commented that "ICOM" wouldn't DO ANYTHING to correct the issue is in my opinion simply "BS" in that ALL gear manufacturers are always VERY KEEN on having all their gear trouble-free and KEEPING CUSTOMERS HAPPY, especially as "REPEAT CUSTOMERS"!!!

K0UO likes this.
  13. WW7F

WW7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom seems to have had that problem since they first made transceivers with display screens , IC 756 series all the way, from IC 756 non pro on up.Although there were some aftermarket replacements for a while was about $300 or so to replace it at the time. I am hesitant to get a newer generation rig as it seems they are far from solving this issue,and like the 756 series, how many of the displays were made for spares or production use? When those run out buyers and owners will be SOL for replacements if no after market solution is to be had. OT but I'd love to find a replacement for my 756 non pro. 73 also :)

14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear Michele,
    I don't doubt your statement "One-iota" :) Most of we "HAMS" ultimately want to spend a good deal of money if we have it to try and get the BEST (or BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK) that we can, but the MANUFACTURERS should also be cognizant of "it's our money", so give us a "QUALITY PRODUCT"!!! OR? WE'LL SHOP ELSEWHERE!!!

15. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look at the problems of the 1987 [?] Kenwood TS-940S? Dead key 120 watts CW from it's 50 volt supply but only able to get 45 watts PEP on sideband in the early models? I had one as a second owner 10 years ago as in 1987 that radio cost $2750 which would be 10 grand today. If you research, many of the costly high end radios have had problems over decades, and most but not all Manufacture did fix them. For Example Yaesu had the Performance Enhancement Plan that fixed issues from the early 2000, 5000, and 9000s etc.

I had to do an aftermarket fix to my TS-940S' lack of SSB power. My Current IC-7300 exhibits full power in CW and Digital modes, but average SSB talk power is very low. Only way to see 100 pep is to use the most promiscuous MFJ Giant Swing PEP meter. If I put audio into the USB port for SSB like Sherwood's tests did, it is full power average. The ALC on the MIC port is common for ICOM to Nanny., Tests for SSB should be from the MIC port, not the data USB ports.