ad: CQMM-1

ICOM to make PTT satellite based radio for world communications.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K3GD, Jun 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K3GD

K3GD Ham Member QRZ Page

https://fudzilla.com/news/48896-iridium-and-icom-come-up-with-satellite-push-to-talk-radio

Real-time communication with anyone on the planet

Iridium Communications and partner Icom today announced the commercial availability of the world’s first dedicated satellite push-to-talk (PTT) radio.

The Icom IC-SAT100 is the only Iridium PTT capable Land-Mobile Radio (LMR) offering real-time communications at the push of a button between groups of individuals, each of whom can be anywhere on the planet.

This combined product and service offering provides critical communications beyond the range of trunked radio networks and as an emergency back-up, providing business continuity and security for customers.

The Icom IC-SAT100 can interoperate with existing LMR networks and be managed over the air through the Iridium PTT Command Centre, simplifying device administration.

Bryan Hartin, executive vice president of sales and marketing, Iridium, said there was a clear demand for this type of Iridium Connected product

“This new satellite PTT device is unlike anything ever offered commercially in terms of capability, and it would not have been possible without the great partnership we’ve built with Icom, who are de-facto experts and leaders in the LMR industry. Icom has created a small, lightweight and very high performing radio that’s perfect for LMR users. We look forward to many more collaborations with Icom in the future.”

The industrial, radio-style design that keeps dispatched personnel connected beyond the reach of traditional LMR networks. The IC-SAT100’s commercial availability makes it useful for government agencies, NGOs, first responders, law enforcement, search-and-rescue organisations and businesses.

The IC-SAT100 is also compatible with existing Icom portfolio accessories and the new VE-PG4, an interoperability gateway feature that allows for integration with any existing deployed LMR systems. No other commercially available PTT device has the design, functionality and coverage of the IC-SAT100.

The IC-SAT100 is a compact, user-friendly radio with military grade ruggedness and includes a high audio speaker to ensure communications clarity, even in high ambient noise environments. Radio-style control knobs and a familiar LMR user interface make the IC-SAT100 incredibly easy to operate for existing radio users.

With real-time, one-to-many communication at the push of a button, and Iridium’s truly global coverage, the new device ensures reliability of communication between work teams in isolated areas. Users will know that regardless of where in the world they need to deploy personnel and assets, they will remain within coverage.

PP7NM, KK4HPY and VK3GOR like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great little handheld radio, that I saw at IWCE a few week's back.

Iridium is NOT dead: it has been resurrected twice; first from bankruptcy as a DOD backup( almost 20 years ago!); now as a renewed and more cost effective commercial service.

The best way to look at this is like the old NEXTEL mode, but with GLOBAL reach from the Iridium birds.

Happy to see it back!

NU4R and XE2JC like this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

All the military special forces, CIA, and spy thrillers will be featuring it in their new novels.

KB2HSH, AK5B and W1YW like this.
  4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

It
    It's a GREAT way to ... 'keep track' of those "types". Give them a radio service that they just can't do without.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. "

- Sun Tzu, Niccolò Machiavelli or Petrarch, Michael Corleone

K8MHZ likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Having grown up in Brooklyn and then close to Long Beach the Corleone "family" was close to real life! It still exists out there.

K4AGO likes this.
  6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Satellite based Walkie-Talkies...

7. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    XE2JC likes this.
  8. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

These are commercial SATELLITES ! what does it have to do with Amateur radio ? I work the ham satellites daily & all I need to do is PUSH THE MIC BUTTON ! Phil KI6PMD ..

N3FAA likes this.
  9. W4HUF

W4HUF Ham Member QRZ Page

and will cost one hundred quatillion dollars.. icom doesnt make amateur radios they make "Professional radios"

US7IGN likes this.
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I don't know anyone I want to talk to.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

AK5B, N1DQQ, W7CJD and 1 other person like this.
  11. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Iridium phones are common enough here in Australia especially in some Mining sites which are often 300kms away from the middle of nowhere - the only way in and out is a VERY long drive to another fly-blown town or a flight via an airstrip.

I know of a couple of people who work in that area who are very interested in these as it means they will have point-to-point comms without needing an expensive radio infrastructure in place to support it.

Here we have iron ore mines with autonomous dump trucks and remote-controlled trains. The radio infrastructure to support that is considerable.

AK5B, KM1H and N0TZU like this.
  12. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew it would be pricey; minimum $67/mo/unit with a minimum of 3 units. Without prices per unit listed on their website, I have little doubt that each one is in excess of $1K. I think I'll stick to 2 meters/HF.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  13. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

...yeah, but will it work on 11m?

14. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, over $1000 for the radio alone. The people I care enough about to pay for something like that and the monthly subscription do not want to talk to me on a radio. ha! :D Well, if we were floating our own boat in the ocean, yeah I would have them.

Comparatively, that price is a few hundred dollars more than the latest cellphone. An unlimited monthly cellular data subscription cost 2/3 less.

15. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure Baofeng will come out with a cost effective model...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ