ad: Radclub22-1

Youngsters On The Air at Ham Radio Friedrichshafen

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Youngsters On The Air at Ham Radio Friedrichshafen

Chair of the IARU Region 1 Youth Working Group, Lisa Leenders PA2LS, reports their will be a Youngsters On The Air (YOTA) booth at Friedrichshafen June 21-23

[​IMG]
    Lisa Leenders, PA2LS - the Chair of the IARU Region 1 Youth Working Group

The IARU Region 1 report says:

Are you ready for a different fair?

For the first time ever the IARU 1 youth committee will have its own YOTA booth in Friedrichshafen! Yes, you got it right! It will be an adventure full of fun and meetings, sharing of experiences and activities and much more among the youngsters.

Look for us at Halle A1, booth A1-594 (directly next to the big DARC booth).

Furthermore, we recommend not to miss our events during the fair:

On Friday June 21st from 15:00 to 16:00 the South-African YOTA team will hand-over the YOTA flag as well as the official YOTA morse key to the Bulgarian team as start of the upcoming YOTA 2019 summer camp. It will be held near Sofia this August. This event takes place at the main stage.

On Saturday June 22nd – Youth Meeting from 10:00 to 12:00 in room Liechtenstein.
    The program for the youth meeting is:
    – Introduction and the upcoming YOTA program in 2019 (by Lisa, PA2LS)
    – YOTA in Japan (by Riku, JR2KHB)
    – Subregional Camp Finland 2019, NOTA (by Kati, OH2FKX and team OH)
    – Subregional Camp Germany 2019 (by Philipp, DK6SP)
    – Subregional Camp Italy 2018 (by Silvio IZ5DIY)

You will also have the possibility to join our daily lottery at our booth and win our awesome YOTA merchandise hoodies at 3:30pm every day.

IARU Region 1 http://iaru-r1.org/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/june/youngsters-on-the-air-at-ham-radio-friedrichshafen.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KX4O, PA3KC, F4VSE and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, this is a great thing.

But ...try to remember when you were , oh, 12, 14, or even 17. If someone called you 'youngster' or 'kid' that was an automatic turn off. Usually said by someone who used polygrip and chain smoked Pall Malls, with their toupee a different color than their eyebrows or two day stubble....and who looked like someone let the air out.

IOW, a huge disconnect through a generation gap. Let's not invite that gap via words.

Nothing has changed.

Use 'Youth'. Or if absolutely necessary,'young people'.

NEVER 'kids' or 'youngsters'.

:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    N2UN, N4FZ, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. WA9PWP

WA9PWP Ham Member QRZ Page

IOW? Generation gap?

K0UO likes this.
  4. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too funny. Still having nightmares about this guy are ya?? :)

WZ7U and N4FZ like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

Just an eidetic memory ;-)

N4FZ likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Young people in Europe away from the corruption of US popular culture and in many cases their own largest cities, are different from our spoiled, self appointed child media geniuses.

A metaphor for this is that Friedrichshafen is Europe's biggest hamfest held in a modern arena at an airline and rail center while our "Dayton" Hamfest went from a dump of a venue out to a fairgrounds in Xenia with metal buildings and outdoor flee market.

I may be wrong as I often am, but it seems Europe values ham radio operators more than we do.

WZ7U, N7BKV, W5LMM and 2 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure they value many things we know to be merely show-ee and unimportant.

Like chain smoking Gitanes...and drinking stella artois...and wearing 'oocla'
    shirts (UCLA).

So much for stereotypes.

In 1967 I went to my first ham convention. All the men wore jackets and ties. In the USA.

Who needs that?

N4FZ likes this.
  8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Whats wrong with Pall Malls?
    BTW you can generally tell about how old a person is by the way they pronounce it,
    My Dad was born in 1910, and everybody in his generation pronounced them Pehl Mehls...

One of the jokes of the day was asking somebody where the rider of the camel was on a pack of camels,
    And the story behind "I'd walk a mile for a Camel....

9. KD8DEY

Dilbert Clones?

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

In other news, Southgate Amateur Radio News is looking for a editor and proofreader.

G4TUT/SK2022 and K0UO like this.
  11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

L.S.M.F.T. Lucky Strikes mean fine tobacco.

KD8DEY likes this.
  12. KD8DEY

Call for Phil-ip Mor-rees

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  13. DG7NFX

DG7NFX Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately you are wrong. My impression is that ham radio in the US is more appreciated from public as in Germany. We are smiled at... So Emergency services by ham radio amateurs are not really know by public and our hobby is seen as something outdated and for dinosaurs only. No or only a few young people are coming into the hobby.
    I assume it's a dying leisure activity.

73 de Uli DG7NFX

N4FZ and KY5U like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

While ham radio is growing steadily in the US, it is on its death bed in Europe...few new licensees, geriatric population.

Most unfortunate.

Its good to see--here in this OP-- a positive effort to grow!

N4FZ likes this.
  15. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Or "Young men or "Young ladies"........

N4FZ and W1YW like this.