ad: Schulman-1

QRZ Adopts new Payment / Checkout System

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

We're pleased to announce that we have a new shopping cart / checkout system that is even more flexible the system that we've used for the past decade. Our new system is hosted on the fabulous Shopify platform, which is one of the most capable billing and checkout systems available. Like QRZ, Shopify also runs on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform which means that they can be depended on. The new checkout pages are faster, more informative, and have a number of exciting new capabilities that we'll be introducing later in the year.

For example, we will have the ability to accept other payment types including Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Shopify Pay which means that if you're an existing client of any of these services that you can have the payment taken from your existing account and never have to present your credit card or underlying payment info. It's nice and neat, and reassuringly secure.

It goes without saying that you can also pay by credit card without having to sign up to any payment service. We accept all of the major credit cards.

In addition, in the coming months we will roll out the ability to purchase QRZ products and subscriptions on behalf of another member. This means that if you have a DX friend that would like to become a QRZ member but has no access to electronic banking, YOU can make the purchase and send him a voucher that he can redeem at QRZ! This capability can also be used to send gift subscriptions, certificates, or any QRZ product to anybody you choose.

About Our Subscribers

Our subscribers are the folks who have brought all of this to you. Fewer than 10% of all QRZ members have purchased a subscription and yet everything you see on QRZ is supported by their patronage. Whenever you see a QRZ Subscriber badge on someone's page, give them a shout of thanks for taking action and becoming patron of QRZ. Without them, QRZ would not exist. They all deserve our gratitude!

73 -fred

WQ2H, W1TRY, KF1P and 15 others like this.
  2. WM1A

WM1A Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a great move on your part, Fred. Nice job . . . keep the improvements coming . . .

3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you to all subscribers who allow me to mooch off your dime!

EB1BSV and W1BR like this.
  4. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

You are welcome!

EB1BSV, KD8DEY and WR2E like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HERE IS SOME GREAT SCOOP ON THE SHOPIFY PLATFORM
    https://www.disruptiveadvertising.com/ppc/ecommerce/shopify-tutorial/

6. K8NS

K8NS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job Fred, You should run for President, HI

EB1BSV likes this.
  7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I click on ads and look around for awhile to produce income, no?

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  9. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

K1LKP likes this.
  10. DF5VAE

DF5VAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, for my part I will never use any google-amazon or other supplementary account to do any payments, never!
    What ever these sites claim, they just collect (steal) informations from you.

If others Hams do not care who collects private information it is there private business. I try to keep my privacy as much as possible
    I don't think paypal is much /or any) better but one such account is enough for me.
    Cheers, Charly, DF5VAE

K7GYB and DL6BCX like this.
  11. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YUP! You're spot on Charly! Anyone who STILL believes the google/amazon experience is a benign one...

...and I'll leave it at that!
    73 sir!
    Greg

12. N4GST

N4GST Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YEP !! Mine just did the exact same thing. May be a good idea to get it checked...just sayin...

13. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HI BILL,

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP ON THIS LINK.

I AM USING AN XFINITY SERVICE PROVIDER AND
    THEY PROVIDE NORTON PROTECTION.

I CHECKED THE LINK ONCE AGAIN THIS MORNING
    AND ALL APPEARS TO BE OK.

ENJOY HAM RADIO
    73 - K1LKP

14. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

There is currently a widespread Google Cloud outage which has put many (maybe all) Shopify shops off the air, including https://shop.qrz.com.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20077421

Screenshot_2019-06-02_17-53-11.png

It just occurred to me that this explains another problem that someone in my house was complaining about today. Nest is down! If your home security depends on Nest then it's probably not working right now. We don't use it for security ... just for monitoring a litter of kitty cats born today :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    W4MMR likes this.
  15. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page