ad: CQMM-1

Parachute Mobile Mission 35 set for May 25

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Parachute Mobile Mission 35 set for May 25

Make a QSO with a Skydiver and get a one-of-a-kind QSL card.

Mission 35 will happen May 25 from Byron, California.
    2 meter QSOs on 146.430 MHz simplex and 20 meter QSOs on 14.250 MHz. AllStar and EchoLink nodes available.

That's not all! Watch all the excitement live on streaming video and follow us on APRS.

Go to parachutemobile.org for all the details and fallow us in FaceBook.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/may/parachute-mobile-mission.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VK3GOR, AB2GD, MI0GTA and 6 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like fun!
    I run Air mobile both HF and vhf/uhf, but I don't jump out of a perfectly good airplane to do it!!!LOL
    Happy Landings

KC5JSR, AF6IM, K9ASE and 2 others like this.
  3. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool idea and I hope to work you!

KP3WR likes this.
  4. WB6ARO

WB6ARO Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall going up with my brother skydiving in Livermore some 44 years ago.... also, not been to Bryon (C83) in years. Used to fly for fun out of Buchanan Airfield (KCCR) to Byron (C83) with my son for fun and do touch-n-go's.... Maybe if I get free time and no auto traffic (which is impossible to east county), will try to come by with xyl. Sounds like fun !

AF7EC and K9ASE like this.
  5. WB6ARO

WB6ARO Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss flying with my kid...... been around 5 years now. Got my kid into flying at 14 years with a T-6 doing some stunts on video - crazy, 17 got private, 18 years instrument rating, 19 years old checked off in 16 different aircraft including multi-engine land. Moved on to becoming an instructor..... at 21 and in Dec (just before the new FAA rules) made 1st officer for the airlines. There until 25 as 1st, then made Captain and been a Captain for 1 year now.... this kid is making serious bucks. Still renewing and keeping his instructor's license. Really proud of him. We used to fly cross country and up and down the State of CA with beautiful pic.... also ran 146.52 aeronautical mobile with my handheld.... had a blast. 5K to 10K feet talked hundreds of miles on that little kenwood running around 2 to 5 watts. Between his airline job and getting married in Jan 2019, never see him much anymore or fly.... bummer, but understand.... still talk on the phone all the time. He is K6JRH.

Attached Files:

6. W6BSD

W6BSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On the 25th, if you are not local to the San Francisco Bay area and you are interested in making a QSO with a skydiver, you can use Echolink.
    For Echolink, you need to connect to the node W6BSD-L. Make sure you are connected to the node with the call ending by `L`.
    You can also make a QSO through AllStar. Connect your AllStar node or repeater to the node 40490.

You can find more information on how to contact a skydiver through Echolink or AllStar on the parachute mobile website.
    https://parachutemobile.wordpress.com/using-allstar/

Good luck and 73 to all of you.

7. KN4KEY

KN4KEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know what antenna they use for HF? Would it just be an end-fed antenna?

8. KC6TYD

KC6TYD Ham Member QRZ Page

For the past few years we had been using an tri-band end-ed. Approximately 40 something feet long. However, for our last mission, W6BSD hooked us up with a home brew 20 meter off-set dipole. A lot smaller and lighter.

K6GOD likes this.
  9. K6GOD

K6GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KC6TYD,

Hi Rob, would it be ok to promote your event from my QRZ Page???

73, Allen / K6GOD

10. W6BSD

W6BSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Until recently the skydivers were using an end fed antenna. During normal utilization, an end fed needs a ground. This ground is either provided by a rod stuck in the ground or a counterpoise. Often the feed line lying on the ground acts as a counterpose. This is why when you read the manual for this type of antennas the manufacturer ask to use a 25 to 30 feet feed line.

I did some research and found the off-center-end-fed dipole in the ARRL antenna book. Chapter 19.1.5 for those who are interested. I had to modify the design to make it monoband and adapt the length to make it work with RG174. The antenna the skydivers are using now is, lighter and only 27' long. The end-fed previously used was twice as long.

11. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, back in the days when Livermore had wide open areas providing plenty of room for drift of round parachutes from a bad spot. And when houses were cheap and only the very wealthy had telephones in their cars (exception for hams that did phone patch).

12. K6MFW

on behalf of Parachute Mobile, the more publicity the better so I say go for it.

13. K6MFW

14. K6GOD

"K6MFW, on behalf of Parachute Mobile, the more publicity the better so I say go for it."

Thanks, I added it to My QRZ Page.

73, Allen

15. K6GOD

"Parachute Mobile Mission 35 set for May 25"

https://www.qrz.com/lookup/k6god