ad: elecraft

West Point Scout Camporee Station W2P coming soon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Apr 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Radio Scouting is happy to announce:
    This weekend, April 26th and 27th 2019, Special Event Station W2P will again be on the air live from the 57th annual Boy Scout Camporee at West Point Military Academy. A custom one-time QSL card is ready for all those contacts who collect them.

Operators KB2FMH and WF2N of the NYCDXA and W2TMR - Ten Mile River Scout Camp Radio Club, will be on SSB from 15 through 40 meters as propagation allows.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

WF2N, K8CGS and K0GOV like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a whole lot of fun!! I'll be listening for you....

Dave
    W7UUU

K0GOV likes this.
  3. KB2FMH

We'll be on a mountain with 600 watts and a custom Zero-Five vertical Dave, hopefully conditions are good enough to make it to the left coast.

AL7PS, W7UUU and K0GOV like this.
  4. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the hours of operation?

5. KB2FMH

We are hoping to be set up by 7 or 8 PM EDT Friday night Tom, if the rain isn't too severe (forecast is rain all night) and then all day Saturday from when we wake up to after the campfire show. We'll self spot from our phones initially and will likely be spotted all day by callers. I posted to several of the Facebook Ham groups totalling over 70,000 members and a few Scouting groups with about half as many so I expect a good run if even 1 % get on the air for us. The frequencies will be those in the General portions of 15 through 40 that end in 57 (Ex: 14.257, 21.357 etc...) as conditions support, barring any QRM / scheduled nets. Maybe some 75 meters late Friday night / Saturday early AM (3.857 / 957). I certainly hope our signal makes it across the US and Europe, conditions have been strange lately. I talked to Hong Kong this morning from NYC on 20 at 8 AM eastern with 5/7s so who knows! All I can say is, wish us luck.

AL7PS likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Any CW?

N7KO likes this.
  7. KB2FMH

Unfortunately no Jeff, Sorry. We have one operating position and it's phone only to get the most coverage. With these niche type events folks seem to enjoy chatting about their experiences. I hope you'll give us a shout if you're on the air this weekend.

James.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, James. I wish you well with your special event.

No phone rig here, so "oh well." heh.

Coincidentally, I was a scout who never made First Class because I couldn't learn the code back in the early 60s. Now all these years later, CW is all I operate on the air. Go figure!

N7KO likes this.
  9. KB2FMH

That's where I learned it and what got me interested in radio as a kid. I learned Semaphore and Wig-Wag also. I still have a few "Official Boy Scout" telegraph keys with the embossed code and blinky light. Those were the days!! I haven't touched a key in 35 years though, after getting phone privileges. I prefer to hear voices and know that my voice is heard around the world. I suppose we all have our own hook in this game.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

James

W4ABC likes this.
  10. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WAY COOL!

(Brother went there BTW)

11. K8CGS

K8CGS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is fantastic. Can't wait to make contact!

Greg
    K8CGS

12. N4JRP

N4JRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Be looking for you. I need that card.

13. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great. I'll have to listen for them.

14. W1TRY

W1TRY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a wonderful event! I'll camp out and scout for your signal, you'll be to my west and I'll make a point of.......sorry, I'll stop now.
    See you on the air!!

15. KB2FMH

Hopefully we'll be able to answer everyone who calls and we hear clear enough to copy.

W1TRY likes this.