ad: portazero-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

DX'ing on 40m Phone is a bit unusual compared to other bands because many DX have allocations below the USA segment. Not always so much simplex, the DX sit down on their lower frequency calling CQ but listening to one or more frequencies, often their own plus others split UP, often very far up, like 7285 KHz. Most DX is savvy enough to know there could be more USA ops of license classes less then Extra up there.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    W1YW likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's an idea: Don't SHOUT.

No it wasn't. Some folks claimed that, but there's no real proof of the claim.

No, the Extra required both 20 wpm code and another written test. And in the old days before CSCEs, you had to pass both at the same test session, no partial credit.

This has been proposed to FCC and they have turned it down. You've been an Advanced for 30+ years - what's holding you back from getting the Extra? The 20 wpm code test was eliminated in 2000, and from 1990 to 2000 one could just get a doctor's note and get a medical waiver.

If you think the Advanced was "a more difficult written test".....consider this:

I passed the Advanced in the summer of 1968, at the FCC office in Philadelphia. In those days there were no Bash books, no VECs, no published Q&A pools, no CSCEs, no medical waivers. Heck, we didn't even have calculators then, and if you failed a test, you had to wait 30 days before you could even try again.

I hadn't studied for the Advanced at all; I was at the FCC office to upgrade from Technician to General. In those days the only difference between the two licenses was the code speed (5 wpm for Tech, 13 wpm for General).

I passed 13 wpm (receiving and sending) and was about to leave when The FCC Examiner said "why don't you try the Advanced while you're here?" So I did (one did NOT say "no" to The Man From FCC). Passed easily - it wasn't that difficult at all.

I was 14 years old in the summer of 1968, and had been a ham less than a year. I had no formal electrical, radio or electronics training and no Elmer; nobody in my family or neighborhood was a ham. My Elmers were books.

It was the summer between 8th and 9th grades, and a few weeks after I passed the Advanced test, I started high school. None of this was unusual, there were Extras younger than me back then.

In those days you needed two years' experience as a General of higher before you could even try the Extra. So in the summer of 1970 I was back at FCC, and got the Extra on the first go.

So when I read stuff from folks who claim that the Advanced was "so technical" and "difficult"......I am.......skeptical.....

AC0GT likes this.
  3. N2EY

Dupe removed.

W1YW likes this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. I walked into that one. Ooops.

Contests, sure. On the other hand, I looked at DXSummit as suggested, DX involving US phone stations above 7,225 MHz, not much in evidence. So, it would still be a little misleading to tell a Technician that they'll be able to work the world on SSB phone, without qualifying that statement (work split in contests, five nine seven three, and move on).

Won't matter. Their HOA won't let them have an antenna anyway.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

TECHS: You will be able to work the world with 40M sideband.

Ron, lotsa DX stations operate split OUTSIDE of contests. I listen down every time I am on 40m.

Ron: You need to operate on 40m, not just look up the DX cluster. Most of the non-rare DX doesn't get listed because it isn't 'juicy' enough.

ALL DXpeditions operate 40m split also.

W0PV likes this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron, not trying to pile on or pick on you :D, but Chip is correct. DX runs split on 40m frequently, not just contests. And a vertical FLAGPOLE, widely HOA approvable, can make an EXCELLENT 40m DX antenna!

Operating duplex, QSX split VFO's, is an example of a finer form of "radio op art" that can't be taught or examined for easily unless it is performed by the student. It would be nice if more new entry level op's got introduced and familiar with it BEFORE upgrading and coming onto 20m ;)

WQ4G and W1YW like this.
  7. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly !!
    They don't want to earn it so temper tantrums will be thrown until it is given to them.
    I busted my butt to learn the code and went from no license to Extra Class w/Code in 1.5 years. If I can do it.... ANYONE CAN!
    Now that I have learned CW, I refuse to let it slip. More than 90% of my contacts are CW and will remain that way.

K4XJ likes this.
  8. NN4RH

Ok. Ok. Chip wins the internet today.:D

W1YW likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So here's the rap...

We SOLD the TECHs with the 'NOW You're TALKING' shtick---but assigned them in a band that is dead for talking (10M).

Since 2000, over 150,000 new Techs have been added, with a test question pool that STILL KEEPS THE CONTENT of that 'Now You're Talking' era.

Those TEST QUESTIONS SET AN EXPECTATION for TECHS.

So, my friends: live up the the promise and give the TECHS a REAL opportunity to TALK.

Add the ARRL proposed changes.

Chip W1YW

N3FAA, WU8Y, W7AV and 1 other person like this.
  10. NN4RH

That's a question pool issue, not a regulatory issue. I've already mentioned earlier that addressing the way we do testing and question pools needs to be looked at and made more effective. And more in line with reality. But in the meantime, the FCC has left the question pool to "us"; so if it's failing, it's "our" fault. The ARRL Technician Enhancement petition doesn't address this fail. In fact I believe that ARRL has stated that it doesn't want to change the question pool at all.

Needs to be sold to the FCC. That's who will make the decision.

As I've posted earlier, I think the Data privileges are a good idea. Phone, I've said I don't really care about either way. I don't operate phone myself, which is plentifully evident by now.

The issue is getting the FCC to buy into it. This ground has been covered before, but the FCC has in several past proceedings, said they were not going to increase Technician privileges because it's "easy" to upgrade to get those privileges and just giving them removes "incentive". The FCC is not on the "same page" as we are.

So part of the argument to the FCC needs to address that. Convince them that they are wrong, or that things have changed and they need to reevaluate that position; that there exists disincentive under the current privileges. Etc. Arguments about what Technicians "expect" I doubt will make an impression, since that's "our" fault not a defect in the regulations. Arguments about numbers and HF activity haven't been effective before and likely won't this time either. The EmComm card has been overplayed so many times it's lost its punch.

What I believe would convince the FCC is what someone else brought. up earlier: Does it impact Part 97.1 Basis and Purpose positively or not?

W0PV, N2EY and W1YW like this.
  11. NN4RH

Well, OK, the other Big Issue is that there are a lot of current Generals and Extras who won't like it. Too bad. We each have to think abuot whether it's good or bad for the long term of the hobby/service; or whether our emotions and egos are more important.

N3FAA and W1YW like this.
  12. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IS HAVING FUN PILING ON FOR EXPRESSING AN OPINION AND ACCUSING ME OF SHOUTING BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS. (AND HAVE TYPED IN ALL CAPS SINCE BEFORE THE TEXT POLICE DECIDED FOR EVERYONE THAT IT MEANS SOMETHING IS DOES NOT) ENJOY. (NOW I PUT IT IN BOLD...I REALLY MUST HAVE ISSUES)

13. NN4RH

OK. Noted.

14. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a record? Well that explains a lot... I don't have any vinyl. Or a record player.

15. N2EY

Why all caps? This isn't RTTY.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is entitled to respect. But every opinion is not entitled to respect.

And remember this:

This is a discussion forum. Anything posted by anyone is fair game for discussion, debate, disagreement, dissection, disproof, analysis, commentary, etc. If you want to post something and not have anyone comment on it - you're in the wrong place.

Why are you still an Advanced after 30+ years?

AC0GT, WU8Y and N4AAB like this.