ad: Halibut-1

FT8 Contest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SQ9GOL, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if Dr. Joe Taylor is bemused or amused by the FT8 debate?

2. K2AMF

K2AMF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

So many are misusing the FT 8 mode by running high power and splattering across the normal band width, it was meant to be used at QRP level. Take the time and effort to learn CW you will find it very rewarding. 73,

SP8NFC and N3XL like this.
  4. N3OP

N3OP Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 is a weak signal mode, NOT a lower power mode.

WA9WSJ and G8HGN like this.
  5. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 contest? Really? C'mon guys! If you win the contest, the award should go to your computer, because you were asleep, at work, making love, working out, running errands, drunk, high, stoned, listening to music during the contest...while your computer is racking-up contacts!

W4KVW likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hummm...I must be doing something wrong then. Care to share your technique? The only time I'm not 'in charge' is like now, 8000km from my radio room. No, I do not use remotes.

As for FT8 contests, we agree, but for a different reason, not that fun.

7. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL,AMEN,AMEN,AMEN,& AMEN! LOL I bet you made some very sore toes after that comment but THANKS for telling the TRUTH. Lots of folks with some very thin skin that operate that mode it appears. The TRUTH is great medicine. I have seen it referred to as the Lazy Hams mode & boy that one hits lots of nerves as well. It is Exciting like watching grass grow & wet paint drying in high humidity. ;) o_O

Clayton
    W4KVW

8. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't get me started

9. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I operate FT8 and I am very familiar with the sound. I had DQRM from FT8 in the ARRL CW DX contest. Followed me through 5 frequency changes. One transmitter. not in the "warbler" zone.
    AF4RK

10. W3MMR

W3MMR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Haha you guys crack me up. The ones who talk crap on FT8 are the ones who have NEVER used it. The ones who ONLY know of rumors. The mode IS NOT fully automated. Yes the QSO itself is, but you have to initiate the contact, call CQ, return to a call, change frequencies, etc etc. Its the exact same principle as SSB, CW, or any other mode being used for DX. You acknowledge the call, give a signal report both ways, and say 73. So you gonna talk crap on everyone who is a DXer as well? You cant just turn it on, and walk away. It wont make contacts for you all day and night. I ignorance of some on this post is quite comical. I bet you guys are the ones who cant get through one QSO without saying "Remember When" as well. :p:p:p

K2AMF likes this.
  11. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

You should do some further research because YES you can set it & Forget it & it will keep making contacts without you being anywhere near it. I am a DX Chaser & I have no problem making the Phone contacts in super tough band conditions since I invested in a good antenna,feed line,amplifier,& transceiver & YES that is ME you hear calling & replying to the DX Station not a computer or even a recording since my computer does NOT have a call sign nor does anyone else's yet so many let their computer do everything because it appears they can't do it on their own with their radio,antenna,& their own voice which is their own fault.No effort required for those bragging rights for their computers. LOL :rolleyes: :p

Clayton
    W4KVW

12. W3MMR

Haha, please Clayton, point me in the direction of this automatic FT8. Id sure love to try it. But Im sorry, there isn't such a thing. And I make plenty of SSB phone DX contacts, just go give my log book a gander on my page. So my station does just fine on any mode. And you sir are totally ignorant. You HAVE TO HAVE A RADIO TO USE FT8. YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN ANTENNA TO USE FT8. YOU HAVE TO USE HUMAN INPUT TO INITIATE A CONTACT ON FT8 AND WHEN THE CONTACT IS DONE IT DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY WORK ANOTHER STATION FOR YOU.... Was that clear enough? Use google man. Get with the program...

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

14. W3MMR

wow

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  15. W3MMR

It doesn't log them automatically. It calls CQ for set amount of time, and when someone calls you, YOU HAVE TO INITIATE THE CONTACT. It will keep calling CQ if you don't. DO you use the mode?