ad: Radclub22-1

Researchers capture an image of negative capacitance in action

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KR4EE, Jan 21, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Uninductance? Unductance? I heard about it one day at a Mobius strip joint.

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. W8GRI

W8GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

I thot it was spelled aether.....

3. K3GD

K3GD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was like, what the hell garbage is being posted now, then i watched the video. Well done W0PV, you win the prize!

4. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Charge up your flux capacitor! :p

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Incapacitance?

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With regard to negative capacitance and voltage this is a case of "Less is more!". :)

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I admit it...

I have a forward bias!

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Been using it in a flux capacitor for years.

9. KI7SS

KI7SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We saw this effect last Winter Field Day at about ten pm, when a fifth-grader substituting for the regular operator dropped his cell phone into spilled cola during a break in an 80 meter run. Unfortunately his mother wiped it up before we could record the pattern for posterity. The question is: is it repeatable? To which we can affirmatively answer: by any fifth grader.

K9KXW and AA5CT like this.
  10. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

... oft referred to as a "Reduction in Force" (RIF)?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  11. K7DIP

K7DIP Ham Member QRZ Page

That may all be well and true, but I think the Dillon-Waggoner Graviton Polarity Generator achieved similar results without resorting to hydrocoptic marzel vanes.

upload_2019-1-27_13-27-40.png

12. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you combine anti-inductance with anti-capacitance, you get anti-resonance, a condition where all energy applied is immediately dissipated at the anti-resonant frequency.

WA2LXB likes this.
  13. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that a 'negative capacitor' would break physics in roughly the same way as a 'negative resistor', and thus is a great source of jokes.

In a nutshell, if you had a 'negative capacitor' with a small charge on it, you could connect it to a resistor, and the current through the resistor would _increase_ the voltage on the capacitor. A negative resistor would have a negative resistance, and thus supply power rather than consuming power.

However I think that the original post is about some real news, not an April 1 gag.

In the same way that negative _incremental_ resistance is possible, it is possible to have parts of larger systems that look like negative capacitance.

I don't think we are looking at breaking physics here and getting negative energy for our warp drive; I think we are looking at microscale manipulation of electric fields for things like transistor gates.

Jon
    AF7TS

AF4RK likes this.
  14. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait a minute... Did I lose a whole month.... is it April already?????

15. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not, it's not April. Look at the publication. Nature, the international journal of science. It's not QST!
    AF4RK