ad: M2Ant-1

FT8 Contest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SQ9GOL, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

WSJT-X isn't. But FT8 very easily can be.

W4KVW likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My issue with FT8 is our use of it....or, to those outside of ham radio, the over-use of FT8 being interpreted as an ham-abandonment of precious spectrum that can, and in their opinion will, be used for other purposes.

There is a HUGE OPPORTUNITY, however, that FT8 affords: it allows an inexpensive entry (low power and modest antennas) into HF for TECHS --IF-- we facilitate that.

Most Techs come into ham radio under public safety, with HT's, on 2m. That's it. But many of them WANT to work DX on HF, don't know how to approach it; don't want or can't put up fancy antennas; can't or won't use QRO. There are spectrum allocation issues also. We need to remove any impediments.

FT8 allows all of these and is a great incentive to then go further.

If you want to 'save' ham radio, use the tools you have.

TA4SO, W0PV, K0WJ and 3 others like this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well stated!

Let our computers 'TALK' to their computers, and 'AUTOMATE' their entry into the hobby. I want to be 'BORED' seeing the bands occupied. 'CHALLENGE' them to try other modes as well. Help them become 'True Blue DXers' eventually, and acquire skills that would be 'REMOTELY' possible otherwise.

It's the RF part that matters, always remember that.

K2AMF, SE3X and W1YW like this.
  4. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are probably refering to me? Read your post .. you named yourself "fanboy" .. I just confirmed it, QSL QSL :D Hope to meet you on the air sometimes soon. I'm fairly active with WSJT-X, since making my first FT8 contact december 6. It works great, today done a total 2164 FT8 QSO's :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  5. VA3VF

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there are much kinder people out there that called me a 'fanboy' before you. Another one also called me a 'drumbeater' for FT8.:D

6. SE3X

Damn .. I'm beaten on that one then .. hate not be No 1 :D they say I'm kind of competetive .. :) Still hope to see you in a QSO soon.

7. VA3VF

I'm on 40M now.

Edit: Moved to 80M, 40 is not productive right now.;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    SE3X likes this.
  8. SE3X

And I'm having dinner at my soon and his family. So won't make it tonight unfortunately.

Not sure on 40m this time at night? 23.15 local time. To late I'd say, but I have worked lots of DX from both US/Canada around 11 local. I'll have to ask you to keep the invitation open :)

9. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless the mode can send the exchange without a predefined setup having to be published or passed around then the mode isn't allowed. WSJT-X can't do it without a special setup and having to relate thta special setup to WFD participants. Further FT8 is all but useless in an emergency other than to check propagation. It can't pass useful information. And no, using ARRL FD as he contest mode won't do it because it will not accept an O, I or H in the Exchange field. So 2I, 5O or 2 H won't work. So it can't do the exchange. Further, I can do more than 1 QSO in a minute CW or SSB. If all you're looking for is a muliplier try JS8Call. It can do the exchange easily and without special setup, it can call CQ WFD no problem.

N8KC likes this.
  10. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the characters are restricted so the enchange can't be made.

N8KC likes this.
  11. NT5A

NT5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that the current incarnation of FT8 does not support the needed exchange for the winter fd. There was some discussion about it on the FT8 reflector, and that is what I recall that the discussion was about. Also, please note that FT8 contacts are not fully automated. The software COULD have been written to facilitate automatic contacts, but that feature was specifically written out of the goals for the mode. Operator input is required. I personally love FT8, but the message length and structure is a limitation. 73 de NT5A - Bob

12. N2YDC

N2YDC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LMFAO

13. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

"Fanboy fanboy what ya gonna do? What ya gonna do when the FCC comes for you; rummm puhhhh pummm pummm. Rummm puhhhh pummm pummm

I'll play for them puhhh rummm puhhh pummm Rummm puhhh pummm...

I think we have have a new hit song

Lets call it LITTLE FAN DRUMMER BOY.

It should go over big around Christmas.

Just kidding, no disrespect or denigration intended.
    John
    K4AGO

14. SE3X

I'm on 160m right now. Have seen VE2MF on the cluster a while ago. But having heavy AU right on my head making contacts west almost impossibel.

15. K0IVK

K0IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing wrong with FT8 for those of us who are satisfied with a call sign exchange and a more accurate signal report than 59 or 599 and a grid square rather than a state. I have been using FT8 since the beginning and have 1300 QSLs on eQSL. My beef is that the decision was made to allow the contesting group to abuse FT8 as they have been doing with the rest of the ham bands for years.
    With FT8 we had a place to escape the contesting when it blocked the bands. Now FT8 is also blocked.
    That is why I quit using FT8.

KB2HSH and W4HM like this.