ad: elecraft

Fan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Vertical Fan Dipole, ya right. This was just a cleaver way to get a FREE advertisement for your "Amazon store, or visit my author page: http://amazon.com/author/owh. Volume 7 is out now".

Some of us write how-to's to help HAMdom not make a profit off HAMs. You can find my many antenna articles for free on many HAM bogs (HamUniverse.com/etc.) including my FREE YGroups 'RDF-USA' or 'HAM-SATs' - Files area.

Now insert some meaningful information into your QRZ ad then tell all that an Inverted V multi-band Fan Dipole with near 102 degrees leg separation has a reactance of near 50 ohms which is great for direct single point connection to RG-8x. Some of us have been using multi-band fans for many decades - like mine 60/40/20/17/10m. The issue in making it is keeping the wires equidistant via spreaders (another free how-to article I posted many years ago). My main goal for my designed multi-band inverted V was durability, simplicity, and usability. Plus the low cost was great too going back to simplicity. These 12 gauge wires have ~1" of ice on each demonstrating durability. These dipoles are not vertical nor is the radiation pattern vertical either.

AntICE.jpg

N7EKU, W1YW, KA2K and 1 other person like this.
  2. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhh...so this is a driver to SELL for Ono.

Nothing wrong with making a profit. But is that effort--- NEWS?

Look: can the Zed staff PLEASE list Ono-'s stuff as PODCASTS rather than AMATEUR RADIO NEWS?

Clearly I am not the only one who feels it doesn't belong as NEWS.

Thanks!
    Chip W1YW

WQ4G, KA0HCP, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That falls under the "getting your hands bloody" category. See OSHA directive # BS734527284HF-784nd6639 for further information.

WN1MB likes this.
  6. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WN1MB likes this.
  7. AK5B

I must admit that reading his single 1 star review on Amazon gave me a chuckle, though.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I will not fault Onno for his creative efforts.

It just seems a shame that with so much talent in our ranks, in this 'come as you are' service, we want a story told, replicating that known for a century --as 'news'.

I found the responses--with ham-grown antennas- far more interesting, and far, far, better informed. Proud of you folks!

Not a hand-hole in the bunch.

Podcasts are aural story telling. This VK6FLAB stuff is podcasts, not news. Let's keep it as 'podcast'.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What The Zed needs is an "Articles Forum" so that the News Forum, remains about news.

AK5B likes this.
  10. AK5B

This is not a rebuttle or a defense of Onno's shameless merchandising posted as news, but I am compelled to point out a couple of things here.

First of all, "ham" is not an acronym---every licensed ham should know that by now.

Secondly, this entire thread is full of posts about horizontal fan dipoles rather than vertical fan Marconis/ground planes which besides supposedly being the subject under discussion here are a somewhat different kettle of fish, n'st ce pas?

Too bad fan verticals are getting the short end of the stick ion a manner of speaking---they're really a very nifty solution for those of us who enjoy using verticals or can't put up an effective horizontal antenna at decent height above ground.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...'Maker Notes'?

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What I want to know is when the drill bit was through his hand, did he go high speed ream-o-matic mode or switch the drill to reverse mode to extract the bit.

That bit belongs on a fancy, schmancy display plaque prominently displayed in the ham shack or workshop.

AK5B likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure many of us have had hand-related accidents.

For Ono, we see--here at least-- a blame on psychological issues, for an injury, rather than a need for knowledge of safety practices.

MO. Yours may differ.

14. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed. Or maybe what the Zed needs is to apply more rigor to their existing thread submission guidelines, which reads in part:

"Your article may be moved to another QRZ Forum location at the editor's discretion. For example, a For Sale ad posted to News will be moved to the For Sale forum. We will attempt to notify you of a forum move if needed."

Is it too much to ask that articles about antennas be posted TO the forum that supports articles about antennas?

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/antennas-feedlines-towers-rotors.33/

<sigh>

AK5B and KA0HCP like this.
  15. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

Did your cute dog write this? If so he is very smart, for a dog in that he only made four spelling errors.

AK5B likes this.