ad: elecraft

Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

You and a few others might be interested in a couple of activity snapshots taken today that would seem to show more activity on JS8 than FT8.

Both these snapshots were taken shortly after 12:30 PM local CDT - the Windows date/time window was made part of the image capture to timestamp the images from both the JS8 and FT8 screen captures from PSKReporter.

First, the JS8 activity:

Clipboard-5_crop.jpg

And now the FT8 activity:

Clipboard-6_crop.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your PC must have been broken. :D

FT8 1430701
    RTTY 3111
    CW 2857
    JS8 1695
    JT65 1586

3. AA5CT

1) Did you look at the two images - did you count the blue markers in those two images?

2) You are posting aggregate totals - do you know what an aggregate total is?

3) For what time period - probably an entire day, whereas the images above that I posted are for what - did you look? They were for an hour mid-day. (Hint: Look at the drop-down box upper right corner. Did you know you could do this on the PSKReporter website?)

It is just possible you failed at comprehending what was posted, but I can't conclude that without gleaning a little more information. ;)

4. KD4IEM

If you go to pskreporter and look at the statistics page you can see "modes reported over 2 hours". I think that might be a more accurate representation. But obviously JS8 at 1695 users has never had more users than FT8 at 1.4 million +. I think your page may have needed to be refreshed. It doesn't seem possible. :D

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't seriously believe that there were 1.4 million hams on the air using FT8 during that 2 hour period?

6. AA5CT

That's where the "map" is a little less misleading - it will show a station if he or she has been active in that time period (30 min, an hour, etc.) on that band (as selected) and for the selected mode, with out re-counting them time and time and time again in the numerical stats. ...

7. KD4IEM

I get that but the same applies to each mode in the count. I did the same thing you did and have often and this is the result yesterday at 4:46 pm. I suspect you needed to refresh the data.

JS8 63
    upload_2019-1-7_7-57-49.png

FT8 1273
    upload_2019-1-7_7-58-27.png

8. KD4IEM

No I don't. There were 1.4 million reports in a 2 hour period. I didn't say individual Hams.

9. KD4IEM

Obviously these "reports over a 2 hour period" show that JS8 has NEVER had more users than FT8...ever. Anything saying otherwise is flawed data. I did the same map analysis and showed that it was.

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, you said "users", which to me means individual hams. Perhaps you meant "reports" since clearly there is not a one to one correspondance between those PSKR numbers and numbers of "individual hams" or "users"

Not obvious. That report over the 2 hour period only indicates that JS8 had fewer PSKR reports than FT8 ... over that 2 hour period. To say "NEVER" is a flawed conclusion - you would have to had collected data continuously as far back to the invention of JS8 in order to say "never". It's probably true but not an absolute based on a single 2 hour period.

11. KD4IEM

Okay I guess you just want to argue the point. I backed up my flawed conclusion with the actual map data showing the number of "reporters" in North America over a 1 hour period to confirm my conclusion. I didn't make up the numbers. If the point here is to promote JS8 to the point of lying to everybody then so be it. Lets agree to disagree.

12. AA5CT

It's obvious that the stats for FT8 are slanted in favor of 'counts'. Just sheer, raw 'counts'.

There are a couple reasons for that, one being that a typical FT8 "contact" lasts 2 minutes maximum, whereas a JS8 contact might last 2 hours.

JS8 is a human-interaction QSO (conversation) mode vs FT8 being machine to achine contact-only mode. The data-driven IoT (Internet Of Things) industry has an acronym for that too: "M2M".

Apples and oranges.

AND I've not even considered what "automating" an FT8 station can do to the stats!

Word has it that on the order of 8,000 to 9,000 downloads of JS8call have taken place. Per capita, on a popular, useful band like 40 meters it is possible that a higher percentage of the user-base is active on JS8 than the user-base of FT8 (which has certainly has had "Its day in the sun").

13. KD4IEM

I see JS8 v FT8 exactly as comparing SSB Contesting to Rag Chewing.

It's just a fact when there is a major contest all the eligible bands are flooded with Amateurs. Without a Contest, its just a few Rag Chewer's and Nets with just a few hundred or so people on the bands daily and that's about all.

Lets be reasonable, JS8 is a Rag Chewer's mode and it will never be as popular as FT8 which is simply a Contest Mode. :cool: But if you really think it is or ever will be, I have a lot on the Moon I would like to sell you too. :D

14. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this reports seem to be in contentious, but consider this a relative trend

JS8 is in 2nd place...

Mode Count
    FT8 735426
    JS8 2006
    CW 880
    JT9 322
    JT65 109
    MSK144 95
    PSK31 87
    OPERA 40
    PI4 3
    ROS 3