ad: Radclub22-1

Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

>"So in other words, we would have truly gone "full circle"
    > Dave
    > W7UUU"

Pretty close. Of course, telegraph technology was a wireline service that worked with sounder clicks instead of mouse clicks. No RF needed. It could (and did) work in multicast architectures.

So, why not take FT8 to the next level with RF hotspot devices? Anyone get a SharkRF Hotspot2 for the holidays? Apply the same concept to FT8. Use a tiny hotspot device connected from a 100 milliwatt SDR transceiver and say you're making "RF QSOs" to distant lands for DXCC. No need to even worry about -24 dB SNR contacts. No antenna restrictions. One of those Miracle Whips is all that's needed -- indoors!

Anyone using Yaesu System Fusion or DSTAR likely understands. Just let the Internet connect to thousands of other FT8-enabled SharkRF hotspots direct via the Internet backbone or through medium-power HF/VHF/UHF RF nodes to do all the heavy lifting. It's just a matter of time. What's left are just...mouse clicks!

Paul, W9AC

2. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

WHERE CAN I FIND A INEXPENSIVE RADIO THAT DOES USB. PLEASE DON'T SAY "BUILD ONE"

W1FVB likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone takes a different approach I prefer to use my search engine on the computer where I find page after page of information that, for the most part, answers my questions.

WU8Y and WN1MB like this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe you should recalculate after adding all the Olivia speeds together. Speed often changes mid QSO depending on conditions.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not at all. For one thing, there is a heck of a lot more to working FT8, JS8, or PSK31 than click-click-click. Successfully anyway. Who should I try to work right now? Which band? Call CQ? Wait for him to call CQ? Tail-end the station he is working? How much power should I be using? And on and on...just like phone or CW. :)

And I wouldn't worry about CW and phone going away. As soon as conditions improve and amateurs with modest stations can do better with the trad modes, many if not most will go back to them (if they stopped using them, which most digital ops haven't).

WU8Y and N5AF like this.
  6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can often find a used ssb xcvr for 400 or less at a hamfest.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Haha! No, I would not suggest building one. You'll just have to "keep your eyes out". Watch the Swapmeet section here at QRZ. But I would recommend keeping it pretty modern. An Icom 718 or Yaesu FT-450D would be the "low end entry point" at around $500 - $600 Anything cheaper (meaning OLDER!) may be more of a challenge to get set up for digital modes with.

You'll also need an interface (SignaLink is a good one - I've used one for years) and of course a computer, which can be practically anything as long as it runs well, and has a clock-sync program (Dimension4). WSJT-X can run on Mac, XP, Win7, Win8, Win10, and Linux.

Good luck!

Dave
    W7UUU

8. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like Olivia as well, 500/8 on 14.072, however, the DX I find more on JS8, as it has about 11db advantage, (-24db for JS8 while -13dB decoding abilities for Olivia) and for my favorite flavor for Olivia (500/8) the bandwidth is 10 times wide than JS8 (50hz). add to that, the program for JS8 is a fix platform, so the pool of ham operators all in one spectrum, whereas Olivia there is a wide variation of flavors, and choice of frequencies, which you would think is a good thing but the reality it is to scattered (Also Like 30wpm, on Olivia!)

C U on the bands!

NN2X
    Tom

9. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Pretty close. Of course, telegraph technology was a wireline service that worked with sounder clicks instead of mouse clicks. No RF needed."

AND - before that, semaphore (flag waving) and signal fires ... the "wigwag" method ...

The US Army used to have manned posts out west doing signal relay too.

10. AA5CT

Would one of these qualify?

Order µBITX with Raduino for $129 with free shipping ($10 extra for DHL Shipping)

http://www.hfsignals.com/

I think these are a "minimal" kit:

Build the µBITX transceiver in an evening. A general coverage, 10 watts HF SSB/CW transceiver kit with features you NEED for operating ease, convenience and versatility. It works from 3 MHz to 30 MHz, with up to 10 watts on SSB and CW, with a very sensitive receiver. It features digital tuning, dual VFOs, RIT, CW Keyer and more.

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just my 2 cents, but having built one, I wouldn't recommend a uBITX kit for a beginner. It's still a "kit" and must be built. Despite being a fairly easy kit, it's still going to require decent bench skills to build and get working properly, before launching into getting it running on FT8. I plan to put mine on FT8 actually. But building the kit and getting all that working is not something I'd ever recommend for a rank beginner.

Aside from that, he specifically said "don't say build one" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

12. AA5CT

Do you have to 'stuff the boards' or is it more like Elecraft?

I'm not sure I would want to stuff a board (which also means winding toroid coils) either today.

13. W7UUU

VERY much like Elecraft in fact! The boards are built and "all you do" is wire up all the external controls and display panel and very likely install it all in a cabinet (otherwise it's a VERY clumsy radio to use). There are cases that are 90% ready to go but still require tool work for the display panel cutout and holes for the controls. I bought mine from a Chinese site for $8!!

But all the really hard stuff (a zillion toroids, SMT parts) is done and the boards are tested at the factory.

Not hard for someone who works on stuff but definitely not a "first timer kit". Also, using it is a challenge at first. Sure, it has lots of cool built-in functions but it's a pretty steep learning curve learning how to access them in the menu system.

Fun little radio though - amazing for the price, in fact.

Dave
    W7UUU

AA5CT likes this.
  14. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

No I'm not questioning whether or not it is taking off, I'm taking issue with you cherry picking data and representing it as proof that JS8 is second only to FT8 in popularity. Take a look at the psk reporter map at various times of the day - FT8 varies a bit but the number of reporting stations is generally above 2500 most of the time. JS8 reporting stations has hovered around 100 for months now, not much growth there.
    CW is worse yet with generally less than 25 stations reporting. Yet CW and FS8 run about the same number of spots.
    Then consider how psk reporter collects its data - based on de (callsign) heard. Obviously FT8 and JS8, with their 15 seconds between ID, spit out a lot more spots than CW.

W7UUU likes this.
  15. AA5CT

US Army "Heliograph" - A heliograph is a wireless telegraph that signals by flashes of sunlight reflected by a mirror. The flashes are produced by momentarily pivoting the mirror, or by interrupting the beam with a shutter.