ad: Radclub22-1

It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Better yet, visit ARRL. Even though you're not a member, they'll welcome you, give you a tour of both the main building and W1AW. Bring your license so you can operate W1AW, too - even if you're not a member.

I bet you they'll even let you search their electronic and "analog" archives.

2. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

No axe to grind and nothing against ARRL except for what I mentioned. No one has to believe me. That's fine. I know what the truth is and I stated it. I would still be a member, probably a life member if it were not for their decision so many years ago. I respect your views in light of the absence of the printed ads. I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll find it eventually. 73

3. WN1MB

Correction: "the truth" you believe to be so is your memory of the event - and that isn't necessarily "the truth."

Suggestion: consider adopting a prefaced caveat of "If memory serves..." to such remembered truths.

We look forward to seeing your substantiating evidence.

And 73 to you.

4. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

"Suggestion: consider adopting a prefaced caveat of "If memory serves..." to such remembered truths."

You say it your way ... I'll say it mine. I wouldn't presume to tell someone else how to talk. Have a great day. 73

5. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats to N2RJ and the other insurgents who won. I for one am renewing, and will do what I can to make ARRL great again. David, K2WPM

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You made a claim - but you haven't backed it up. And there are inconsistencies in your claim (you remember it happening years before the organization was founded).

Memories are tricky things. Researchers have found that people sometimes remember things which simply didn't happen, and forget things which did happen. There was at least one Titanic survivor who testified to seeing the iceberg in the moonlight - but a quick check of an almanac proves there was no moon that night. People convicted of serious crimes by sworn eyewitnesses have been freed because evidence such as DNA and security videos proved they were many miles away when the crime happened.

In post #67 it is mentioned that an organization - but not the organization you named - managed to somehow slip through an ad or two in the 1980s - and that ARRL went to court to defend their right to stop the ads, and lost. If they did manage to do so, that was ~30 to 35 years ago. Yet you blame the ARRL of today, even though the staff today is totally different people!

Why?

What would you have the ARRL do? Violate the law?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    WU8Y and WN1MB like this.
  7. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the ARRL needs to move out of that high taxed state.

8. WN1MB

There was talk of doing just that 30 or 40 years ago...to North Platte, NE, if memory serves. Rumor was that a significant amount of property was available for donation. The move never panned out, obviously.

Moving ain't cheap, you know...plus, consider how many of the then existing staff would have been willing to move - especially from New England to Nebraska. The same holds true for today.

WA1LBK, N2AMM and N2EY like this.
  9. KC2TFX

KC2TFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I dropped out recently though not primarily over membership increase. My so called area reps never respond to me so why should I add to membership?
    Amateur Radio CQ has my money.

10. WN1MB

...and takes their damn, sweet time delivering their one, single product: seldom on time - often late.

Great choice! </sarcasm>

W3UC and WU8Y like this.
  11. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm quitting the ARRL after this election. It will completely lose effectiveness, and ham radio will be destroyed and sold off to Ajit F'n Pai's corporate masters. Totally self-inflicted wounds, unnecessary, and only due to a smear campaign of FUD.

12. W0KDT

W0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

This post is back in the thread a bit, but I noticed it when skimming through.

Any nonprofit, except tiny ones, has tax returns that can be found at guidestar.org. They are public. Guidestar requires registration but it is painless and does not evoke spam.

From a quick look, ARRL is about a $15M organization. Page 20 of the 2016 tax return shows executive salaries for CEO, COO, and CTO. They are between $150K and $200K which in my experience is very low for an organization of this size. Interestingly, the CTO makes the most money.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I thought you guys might be interested to have a few facts added to the speculation.

N2AMM and N6HCM like this.
  13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Nebraska is only one state, I can tell you for a fact that many people are fleeing the "great" Northeast and moving elsewhere.

14. WN1MB

Thanks for reminding me of the obvious. I hadn't forgotten, as I'm a lifelong CT resident who happens to also stay on top of the state and regional job markets, employment trends, and demographics. I only look old - I'm not mentally feeble quite yet...

Now some Obvious for you to consider:

1) Pay at ARRL isn't unlike pay at many other non-profits, or not-for-profits - ie. less than similar jobs generally pay in for profit environments,

2) picking up and moving such an organization is significantly more involved than those Ford Econoline "midnight moves" some of us made in our rowdy youths,

3) employee retention for such an organizational move is going to be in the 40-60% range,

4) for that retention range, consider how much employer paid relocation expenses would be.

All these things and more must be taken into serious consideration before a decision is made one way or the other. When the minuses outweigh pluses, you stay put.

I would be remiss to not mention that I take umbrage to your implied cheap shot at my region of the country. The northeast is great. It's a wonderful place to live and work. Two hours drive either northeast or southwest and one can be sitting in Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium. An hour drive and one can be camping at the beach or hiking out in the middle of nowhere on the Appalachian Trail.

Is the cost of living in New England high? Generally, yes! Do I like that? No! Once again, it's all about pluses and minuses.

And remember that when you're accusingly pointing that index finger at the great northeast, there are three other fingers on that same hand pointing back a you.

Now for an appropriate musical interlude before the next post:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    WA1LBK, N2AMM, N6HCM and 3 others like this.
  15. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

New Hampshire gives y'all a wave!
    Good luck in the contest! :rolleyes: