ad: ProAudio-1

AMSAT's Fox-1Cliff Satellite Launched, Initial Telemetry Received

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8HM, Dec 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fox-1Cliff was successfully launched on Spaceflight’s SSO-A: SmallSat Express mission on a SpaceX Falcon 9 from Vandenberg Air Force Base at 18:34:05 UTC on December 3, 2018. Following deployment, the spacecraft was activated on schedule at 23:54:27 UTC.

[​IMG]
    A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, carrying the Spaceflight SSO-A: SmallSat Express, launches from Space Launch Complex-4E at Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA, on Dec. 3, 2018 at 10:34 a.m. PST. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Clayton Wear/Released)

At approximately 00:30 UTC on December 4th, several stations in Brazil, including PS8MT, PT9BM, and PT2AP, reported hearing the voice beacon “Fox-1Cliff Safe Mode,” confirming that the satellite was alive. Just before 00:40 UTC, AMSAT Fox-1 Team Member Burns Fisher, WB1FJ, was the first to submit and upload telemetry to the AMSAT servers. Initial telemetry values show the satellite to be in good health.

Thanks to the 29 different stations that contributed telemetry during Fox-1Cliff’s initial orbits. All stations are encouraged to please continue collecting telemetry during the commissioning process and are reminded not to transmit on the uplink frequencies until AMSAT opens the satellite for general use. The commissioning process is expected to take approximately 7-10 days.

[​IMG]
    Stations receiving telemetry during Fox-1Cliff’s initial orbits

[​IMG]

AMSAT purchased a commercial launch for Fox-1Cliff, please consider a donation to “refill the coffers” for GOLF and other future AMSAT missions by making a donation today at https://www.amsat.org/donations/

As part of the preparations for the launch of Fox-1Cliff, AMSAT is making the “Getting Started With Amateur Satellites” book available for a limited time as a download with any paid new or renewal membership purchased via the AMSAT Store. This offer is only available with purchases completed online, and for only a limited time. A perennial favorite, Getting Started is updated every year with the latest amateur satellite information, and is the premier primer of satellite operation. The 186 page book is presented in PDF format, in full color, and covers all aspects of making your first contacts on a ham radio satellite.

[​IMG]

Please take advantage of this offer today by visiting the AMSAT store at https://www.amsat.org/shop/ and selecting any membership option. While there, check out AMSAT’s other items, including the M2 LEOpack antenna system, Arrow antennas, AMSAT shirts, and other swag. Be sure to view your cart before going to checkout. If you add a membership and then go directly to checkout, you’ll never see an option to add your free gift.

https://www.amsat.org/fox-1cliff-launched-initial-telemetry-received/

M0SWV, KA0HCP, W5PFG and 2 others like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the successful launch and initial deployment.

Please clarify the statement bolded above.

According to the AMSAT web site, the first GOLF program mission is to be the GOLF-TEE, hopefully launched in 2019.

Support for FOX-1 Cliff should not have been derived from the separately designated GOLF fund, therefore that "coffer" should not need to be "refilled".

Or are all donations to AMSAT simply lumped together into one big fund? If so, then the donation web page is misleading and /or disingenuous.

73, John, WØPV

3. N8HM

Donations may be designated as donors wish. In the past, we did have a separate Fox fund and all of those funds were used for Fox, but undesignated funds were used to cover the costs as well. It's that "general fund" where the coffers need to be refilled. If you donate through the donations page to the general fund, they may be used for any AMSAT project, including GOLF and ARISS. Donations made through the GOLF link will only be used for GOLF and donations made through the ARISS link will only be used for ARISS.

We are required by law to use funds designated for a certain project to be used only on that project and we have annual reviews conducted by an accounting firm to confirm our compliance with the laws regarding non-profit accounting.

K3RLD, WE4B, AD5NM and 4 others like this.
  4. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'll have to rig up something to try and use these satellites. Pretty cool stuff!
    When do the orbital parameters become available?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Love watching successful SpaceX launches and booster recovery landings. Especially when carrying Amateur Radio satellites. :)

Incredibly clear views on this vid of the booster after MECO and separation, and during the landing burn. And they "stuck" the landing on the ship. Reportedly this is the THIRD use of this booster.

They also attempted to "catch" the valuable payload faring on the ship for the cleanest recovery, but just missed. Nevertheless, the soft water landing prevents heavy damage and apparently they are now considering reuse after a thorough cleansing.

PA3CAC and M0SWV like this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently the Fox-1Cliff amateur radio communications mission is combined with at least three scientific missions from Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, and Penn State-Erie.

What was the total cost for the integration of Fox-1Cliff sat and this commercial launch to LEO? How much of the overall integration / launch cost was shared by these entities? What was the total cost to AMSAT for this launch?

Thanks in advance.

73, John, WØPV

7. N8HM

AMSAT cannot discuss the cost of the launch due to a non-disclosure agreement.

Fox-1Cliff is essentially the flight spare of AO-85 with the addition of the Virginia Tech camera and Maximum Power Point Tracker that were not completed in time for AO-85 plus the AMSAT L-Band Downshifter that was added because there was a spare experiment slot available. University experiments were key in justifying the launch of AO-85 and AO-91 (and the pending launch of RadFxSat-2 / Fox-1E under the NASA Cubesat Launch Initiative), so their presence has resulted in three free launches for AMSAT satellites, but they did not pay any part of the launch costs for Fox-1Cliff.

WE4B likes this.
  8. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You would be hard pressed to get an actual customer to share this information. This is usually protected by NDA as pointed out by @N8HM.

M0SWV likes this.
  9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Between who is the NDA made; AMSAT and SpaceX? The integrator? The universities? All the above. What does it cover. Specifics please.

I can appreciate the NDA protecting dollar figures in regards to commercial launching becoming a competitive industry, but these are not "actual customers" in that AMSAT is a membership driven non-profit begging for donations, and universities are public institutions.

The explanation about the justification and three "free" launches is a bit fuzzy. When were / are those to be? Were those the same academic institutions. Apparently that was a deal with NASA; this one is with SpaceX.

Again, IF they are shared, how were the financial obligations for this Fox1-Cliff sat launch divided up between AMSAT and the scientific partners; ball park figures or percentages would be fine.

Sorry, "just trust us" doesn't work well for substantial donations.

AG5DB likes this.
  10. W5PFG

Please contact the AMSAT office when you are ready to make substantial donations. +1 (888) 322-6728

KB2PNN and M0SWV like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I may do so, but it doesn't stimulate the effort much if AMSAT is unwilling to become more publicly transparent with finances to demonstrate the need and attract similar offers from others.

Stop hiding behind a nebulous NDA. Explain it here. Or quit soliciting donations from the general public for secret allegedly shared missions.

I'll make it easier. AMSAT is a non-profit membership. The NDA certainly doesn't cover its organizational financial data. What was the dollar status of the General Fund before Fox1-Cliff expenses, and what is it now. It's certainly a fair question to ask to publish how much is needed to "refill the coffers".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. W5PFG

Yes, those are fair questions.

Here's where you go to get the information:

AMSAT
    10605 Concord St, #304
    Kensington, MD 20895-2526 USA
    Toll-Free: +1 (888) 322-6728
    Phone: +1 (301) 822-4376
    Fax: +1 (301) 822-4371
    info@amsat.org

WE4B likes this.
  13. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Since satellites go into space, there are ALL KINDS of national and international rules and regulations that cover what goes on with satellite activity... what can be done, who partnerships and cooperative efforts can be formed with and most of all... what may be PUBLICLY DISCLOSED. There are even some satellite keplerian elements for tracking an AMSAT bird that must be acquired only from particular servers simply because the satellite was co-launched with a military based satellite and the information falls under restriction guidelines... Yes, in some cases Keps info to track an amateur satellite is RESTRICTED information per government regulations.

Just because AMSAT is not a typical 'customer' does not mean it is free to discuss any/all details of it's operations. And no, not all of it is restricted by regs, but simply put... not a lot of multi-billion dollar space companies will take kindly to cooperating with (and helping out) a group of hobbyists that will blab what may be (to them) highly sensitive financial information in public forums at the drop of a hat. In this day and time, this might seem to some like it smacks of conspiracy, cover up or some other nefarious intent by power hungry individuals anxious to do what they want with donated money. Nothing could be further from the truth... These guys (both of the prominent posters so far) are AMSAT board members and are properly carrying out their fiduciary responsibilities to keep this information confidential. I can assure you that if they did NOT, they'd be voted off the board quicker than you can ask, 'Was that a rocket blasting off?'

https://www.amsat.org/amsat-officers-and-board-members/

Truth is, I'm sure they would PREFER to openly give you all the data you ask... they can't. It's that simple. They are board members... so defending themselves on this matter might only be interpreted as more 'cover up' which is why they keep politely directing you to contact AMSAT through some non-public manner. I am not a board member... and I've not had enough sleep, so my judgement might be slightly impaired, but I felt like I might jump in here and give them an attaboy while asking you to give what I've said some consideration. These guys do what they do for the love of the hobby... I, for one, support them.

And while I may not be a 'substantial' donor, I am proud to have a Fox Challenge coin here on my desk that I received as a thank you during a Fox launch funds donation drive. And if memory serves... it was to pay for this VERY launch of Fox-1Cliff... an investment well made. :)

mail was good today.JPG
    (Sorry, only picture I could find on a moment's notice and I just got the dinner call... the coin was mailed along with some QSLs for new grids... good mail day.)

73 & all the best...

Kevin N4UFO

WE4B likes this.
  14. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Explain a NDA? Here you go:

A non-disclosure agreement (NDA), also known as a confidentiality agreement (CA), confidential disclosure agreement (CDA), proprietary information agreement (PIA) or secrecy agreement (SA), is a legal contract between at least two parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to or by third parties.

Now that an NDA has been explained, AMSAT-NA, feel free to start soliciting donations from the amateur community. I wish I could afford to give more, but I can't right now but am proud to be a member and to have a child as a member. There's a good chance a second child may soon be a ham and a member. Even though I'm not in a position to donate any more monies right now, I and my child can and will be cheerleaders for AMSAT-NA. Thank you for keeping amateur radio in space for us to enjoy on a daily basis!

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fanatical responses, irrelevant to the fair questions, just make AMSAT support and membership look like cultism; astro-Scientologists blindly worshiping their org. :(

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    AG5DB likes this.