ad: portazero-1

Good News for Amateur Radio Operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD0NDG, Nov 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0NDG

KD0NDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've begun a plunge and have started extracting information from the FCC Database. The results are better than I expected, and I wanted to share it with you all! We are at about a 1.4:1 ratio; meaning 1.4 new operators for every one that leaves. I'm currently developing a system to automatically track this and other important data. You may view my full article here:
    http://www.kd0ndg.com/index.php/2018/11/30/amateur-radio-report-is-in/
    [​IMG]

W2CSI, KC5YSQ, K9ASE and 7 others like this.
  2. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, cool stuff. I love it when data gets pushed around.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

AC7DD likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to be a cynic on this....but the FCC data base is notoriously behind in CANCELLING licenses. It took months and months and months for me to cancel a (defunct) club call, and that is with me actively trying!

Basically there is up to a 2 year overall lag on cancellations, and that two years is often built into the system for deceased hams that do not renew. So the cancellation curve doesn't tell you a heck of a lot as a snapshot. Also, there are many hams who hold licenses but are essentially cancelled due to bad health or non-interest. This may take 2-5 to reflect in the curve.

If you translate your cancellation curve by the two years, it basically tracks your growth curve right now.

IOW, any growth, if real, is feeble.

It will be interesting to see what 2 or three more years of data shows; I suspect real growth that is modest, but no longer feeble.

Chip W1YW

AG5DB, W5CJA, G3SEA and 6 others like this.
  4. KD0NDG

KD0NDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip W1YW,
    I moved the cancellations back 2 years this is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    That certainly paints a different picture. I also agree that this chart is not a true reflection of interest in the hobby, but I had to start somewhere. Thanks for your insight.

KD0dNDG

W2CSI, KC1FUU, KK4HPY and 4 others like this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Who else is in the running with me to be the Last Advanced Class Operator?

Do you think you have a chance?
    There are currently about 40,000 of us.
    14 years ago, there were 80,000 of us.

We diminished by about 3000 during 2018.

At the present rate, we can project that we will hit zero Advanced Class Operators by year 2031.
    But, the loss rate will probably lessen by 25 years from now, as a few of us stubborn Advanceds will probably live to be at least 95 or 100 years old.

The Last Advanced Class Operator will probably happen between the years 2045 and 2065.

Perhaps FCC will forcibly grandmother us into some new all-encompassing license class by then.
    (If there is still an FCC by then)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    KC5YSQ, KP2XX, AC7S and 15 others like this.
  6. KG3L

KG3L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Should learn how to spell amateur .

KA5JTM, AE8W, 4X1ST and 1 other person like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

How would you measure the number of new hams that remain active over their 10-year license term?
    How do you measure overall those who are active in the hobby? Does quantity also mean quality?

KR3DX and K2DFC like this.
  8. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im with you Bonnie ..... 57 years young and no incentive to upgrade.

KR4HH, KD0QG and KE4OH like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What you did was an excellent indication that US Part 97 is not in its death throws, and actually holding its own.

As I said, I think the recent exponential tail is real and that we should tout our numbers.

Ham radio is neither antiquated, trivialized, nor dead.

!

Chip W1YW

G3SEA, N4QX, DL6BCX and 2 others like this.
  10. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the running with you Bonnie.

Haters hate this: We are the only license class where 100% of us passed the 13 wpm Morse Code test.

73 de Steve KE4OH
    dit dit

KC5YSQ, W4ABC, N6RRY and 12 others like this.
  11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I waited about 25 years hoping that the FCC would grandfather all us Advanced Classes to Extra. But, it never happened. I finally gave up on waiting and upgraded.

Don't hold your breath while waiting for the FCC to grandfather you in.

Dan KI4AX

N2EY, WD9ICU and WA7PRC like this.
  12. W4EIP

W4EIP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that this database may not be accurate. So I would propose to measure the health of Amateur Radio by economics. The major equipment manufactures Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Flex, etc all seem to be doing well. It is my perception that there are still a lot of ham radio stores selling a lot of ham equipment. If this were not true the stores would be closing and the manufactures would be dropping their lines of ham equipment and not introducing new models, so it is clear that the demand is still there. This indicates to me that there as still a lot of very active hams and the general health of the hobby is still good.

As far as the decline of the Advanced license class goes, it is easier that every to upgrade to Extra. I was an Advanced for about 25 years. With a little study and the HamStudy.org, i upgraded with very little effort.

Dave, W4EIP

KK4HPY, WD9ICU and N4FZ like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, at HF, the OTA activity is not filling the allotted spectrum. And that's a real problem, which didn't exist 15-20 years ago, for example.

This is not a problem caused or aggravated by FT-8, BTW.

The 'health' of the manufacturers is not a good measure: they see the market as quite finite, and compete for market share with razor-thin margins as a result.

N4FZ likes this.
  14. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm Advanced. Also passed the 20 wpm code test given by the FCC. Missed a few on the written.

KD0QG, WD9ICU, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  15. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great point. Search any zip code and you'll find many hams listed. Check the QRZ listing and you find many who appear not active.

KR3DX and K3XR like this.