ad: elecraft

FT8 – Tipping Point for Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5FGE, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD5FGE

KD5FGE Ham Member QRZ Page

PY2NEA, N2NH, N0BZ and 2 others like this.
  2. CM8JFL

CM8JFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am eager to change my ham rdio category so i can used FT8

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I attended a local ham club presentation last night and as a ham with absolutely no digital experience I was both over and under whelmed. I was impressed with the propagation tool it possesses and not impressed with the amount of data conveyed. Now I'm not dead set against digital (hell I'm even thinking about joining in!), but I am not really convinced that this communication mode has much relevance. The one thing that was noted was the number of times questions were answered with "that's all taken care of in the Software!" To me it's more of a software hobby with very little radio involvement. Maybe I'll change my mind after I try digital modes.

PY2NEA, M0DPX, KI7TBU and 14 others like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

As long as "boring" floats your boat, FT8 will likely bring a lot of hams in. But my fear is once they see what a few hours of FT8 "operating" is really like, I suspect they'll quickly fade away.

For myself, if all there was for modes was FT8, my radios would be for sale right now

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, PY2NEA, N7RD/SK2023 and 56 others like this.
  5. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"True, it is mostly automated. True, it reduces the skill required to make DX contacts. True, it removes conversation from the QSO the same as is true of most DX chasing contacts on any mode. True, it removes some of the human factor."
    Let's see, automated, no skill, no conversation, no human factor. Right . . . 10-4 good buddy. Why not just pick up a cell phone? Sure has changed from the 1960s. I really miss the good old days when technical competence, experimentation, and, Heaven forbid, CW was the norm.

PY2NEA, N7RD/SK2023, W4KVW and 43 others like this.
  6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy the challenge of working DX stations in FT8 - it's not boring to me at all - at times it is intense; adjusting my power settings (sometimes lowering power gets thru), monitoring my rig's ALC, pouncing at the end of a previous QSO my 'target' is completing, working new bands, testing new software versions. I've been running FT8 as my primary mode for over 12 months - no fading here - it actually encourages me to improve my antenna, improve my feedlines, get better meters, improve my shack, etc.

FT8 has been the catalyst for me trying other modes such as CW, FeldHell, MSK144 and others. FT8 is the 'gateway' mode for many new hams and a rejuvenation for many experienced hams.

For me, if all there was for modes was ANY SINGLE MODE, my radio would be for sale right now.

I always read your posts Dave and appreciate your insight. My response in no way is meant to belittle or criticize your thoughts and feelings on this matter.

NQ1B, KM6AGE, K7LRC and 28 others like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very nice response and I have to say that I agree with your thoughts 100% in fact. The only part I don't do is the DX side of things. DX'ing for me is "something that happens" not something I pursue. I only pursue DX via CW and mostly just DXpeditions and special events.

Nicely stated. Good post :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, KM6AGE, M0DPX and 10 others like this.
  8. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

How many modes have we seen? Remember packet in the late 80s, talking about cutting edge. Like all the other ones, time will move on to something else. As long as it keeps interest going, I may not participate but Im all in.

Im a cw guy. I really enjoy it but have an uneasy feeling there may be few to converse with in the future..

N4KRX, 9A5O, K0PV/SK2023 and 7 others like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 is "news?"

K0WJ, MI0GTA, M1WML and 6 others like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what big changes in FT8 have happened in the last 6 months or last year for that matter not exactly "breaking news". JS8Call is fairly new but that's a somewhat different subject. If you participate in a hobby that is technical in nature you can expect changes to occur over time some will come with more impact than others. AM/SSB anyone?

G4SGD, K7LRC, KC7HDE and 9 others like this.
  11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

If that happens again, just ask HOW do you operate FT 8 manually.
    Yes, it can be manually operated;)

K4AGO and N0NEV like this.
  12. WB5THT

WB5THT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever floats your boat.

I was heavy into RTTY (Model 35 ASR) back in the late 70s and enjoyed it very much. After a long hiatus away from hamming I'm back! Enjoy nets, rag chewing and digital modes, especially digital. I do like conversational digital but FT8 is okay as well. The important aspect here is people getting on the air using our frequency spectrum - that's a winner.

K7LRC, KK4HPY, K4HAS and 10 others like this.
  13. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's it, Dave. If DXing, regardless of mode, was the main goal for you, especially with a 'basic' station, FT8 would likely have a place in your operating routine.

Nothing wrong with your choices, I want to emphasize, before one of 'God's gift to hamradio' jumps in to 'excommunicate' me.:D

I agree with KD2NOM, it may actually make people try other modes after they get bored with FT8.

I also kind of agree with AG4GQ. For a good conversation, nothing beats an eyeball QSO. If that's not possible, an unlimited cellphone plan is a close second.:D

I'm actually very surprised how much repetition we have on this topic in general. One would think the case for or against would have been settled already, with each side maintaining their original position.;)

KQ4MZ and W7UUU like this.
  14. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to remember that many people read these threads at different points in time....that's why they seem to go on forever. Nothing wrong with keeping the conversation going!

K4AGO and W7UUU like this.
  15. W7UUU

Very good point!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and K4AGO like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.