ad: HamHats-1

SharkRF OpenSPOT 2 digital hotspot review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Nov 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is SharkRF's new digital Hotspot, the OpenSPOT2. This device now includes WiFi and covers many digital modes such as, DMR, D-STAR, Yaesu Fusion C4FM, etc. It can even do "cross mode" between the DMR and the C4FM (Yaesu System Fusion).

This is an improved new version of the very popular OpenSPOT (1).

73 Pascal VA2PV

Openspot2_thumb.jpg

KA9UCE, DV4DNX, HH2MJF and 2 others like this.
  2. W1MSG

W1MSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Still missing P25 and NXDN ..

3. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HI Craig, it's there but grayed out for now. It should be available in the future. 73 Pascal VA2PV

K9CTB likes this.
  4. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

What does this device offer that the ZumSpot doesn’t? Besides twice the price?

KN4HGV likes this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no experience whatsoever with DMR and *spots of any kind. I purchased a DMR HH only to learn the local DMR enabled repeater closed down.:(

I use the Raspberry Pi a lot, there are 3 around the shack, but I dislike the microSD corruptions and required re-images. This is why I would not consider a ZumSpot.

The reason for this post. Do you need a DMR HH to use the OpenSpot2, or a standard analog HH will suffice, meaning, the OpenSpot2 does the analog to digital conversion? I see you used a DMR HH in the video, but those usually work in analog mode as well.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    KA4RUR likes this.
  6. K0SZ

K0SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pascal, another great video. I enjoy watching your reviews, you do a great job.

K9CTB likes this.
  7. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t know of any of the Spots that will go in on analog and out on DMR or any other digital mode.
    That being said, the DMR mobile and DMR HH will both work on the hotspots. It’s very beneficial if you travel. It’s like having your home repeater with you where ever you go. That is, as long as you have a network or are able to tether to a cellphone.
    There is now a Bluetooth board that replaces the RPI Zero board for the ZumSpot. Just download the Blue DV app and some minor config and you are ready to go. I picked one up at a recent ham fest and I’m much happier with it than the RPI Zero. I haven’t had the issues you speak of with any of my RPIs. I’ve had my weather station online for over a year now without issue. I have noticed the I-gate I just built up with an rtl sdr and the RPI Zero Is finicky when it comes to connecting to networks. Once it’s running it’s solid.

Thanks for reviewing the OS2. A group of us were looking for it at the Pacificon show but they didn’t have any.

Don.

8. VA3VF

Thank you for your reply. The HH is 'stored' somewhere in the basement. Hopefully the battery is still good. It was only charged once, as I had no interest in using it in analog mode, after learning the local DMR repeater was no more. It's been a couple of years now.

The OpenSpot2's price is higher than the competition, but the feature set, setup simplicity, and size are substantial plusses, I think.

Thanks again.

KA4RUR likes this.
  9. M0DPX

M0DPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video pascal and i will be ordering 1 as soon as :Di already have the little blue openspot 1 and i have never had any problems with it at all,i am sure i will be able to say the same for the new openspot 2.
    Thanks again for the video pascal.
    m0dpx :)

10. KC1TV

KC1TV Ham Member QRZ Page

WoW! Not nearly as capable as my Zumspot ant over twice the price!! I honestly don't get it. Seems like a huge profit margin for the manufacturer if folks buy the
    "unbiased reviews"

KN4HGV likes this.
  11. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To each his own.

If price is the only consideration, then there are tones of options out there--even a few that are a good bit cheaper than a Zumspot setup. If you lump size, shape, complexity of setup, and complexity of maintenance into function and capability, then the OpenSpot2 is quite a bit ahead.

Just determine what you value most, and make your choice.

12. VA3VF

The JumboSpot is the lowest priced alternative currently, I think. Still, after reading about it, I decided to wait.

I don't buy anything shortly after it's released. The OpenSpot2 appears to be a very nice device. A price difference of 100% sounds substantial at first, but it really depends on the base amount.

13. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got both the original OpenSpot and the OpenSpot 2 and both work great. I really could care less if it's more expensive than some others. It does what I want it to do, the set-up interface is a simple to work with and I'm used to it. Download the app for mobile use and making changes on the fly couldn't be easier. I'm very pleased with mine.

Pascal, thanks for doing the review. Well done.

WD4ANA, KA4RUR, W4INT and 1 other person like this.
  14. KD0USA

KD0USA Ham Member QRZ Page

open spot 1 was good open spot 2 installed a works and don' t work WiFi
    its Added modes do not work . The worst part of this item is its company .
    They stuck it to the major ham stores in the USA had a Sale online sold the shark
    one for less than wholesale and Left US Sellers holding the bag. They have Little or No
    tech support and be careful what you wish for Happy Holidays

15. KA4RUR

KA4RUR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Had a Zumspot -- OpenSpot2 took all of 5 mins to setup -- Zumspot in my opinion was a waste of money for me.....