ad: Radclub22-1

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This isn't news. It belongs in the discussion forum.

2. KD9JTI

KD9JTI Ham Member QRZ Page

A cheap $25 Baofeng UV 5R could be the ticket.

3. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure on the address for NEW YORK..???
    I live a few miles from that location and have never noticed this activity happening..BTW...this address is right next to the thruway in NY....I don't think this is safe...especially if engine or parachute failure...
    Also the info posted is for Illinois...

4. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just FYI, a number of EAA members are hams and got into APRS :)
    I think the OP has a thing against parachutes more so than radio issues. IMHO promoting a 2 Meter "national air mobile simplex freq" and offering classes for licenses would be a really fun way to recruit and at least the unlicensed ops would be pointed at a safe place away from repeaters and satellites where their licenses peers would hopefully bug them to step up. Plenty of licenses pilots as well would be happy to learn this stuff.

KW4ZW, AC7DD, W9AFB and 2 others like this.
  5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd hate to be the guy who was jamming when an in-flight emergency occurred and their communications didn't work. As distasteful and illegal as it is, at some point safety has to prevail.

NUITSBLANCHES, W8YIH, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if a lawnmower tied to a parachute qualifies as an "aircraft."

KW4ZW and W8MLC like this.
  7. N2UHC

Likewise, the address for Kansas, located in Neodesha, I don't think is accurate any more. There was a Powrchute (I think that's the name of the company) plant there but it's since either closed down or moved. I actually did go to a Powrchute fly-in once, was pretty interesting, didn't notice any illegal 2m use (since this was in the days long before anyone knew what a Baofeng was) but I did see some aero band HT's for sale.

8. AB1PW

AB1PW Ham Member QRZ Page

A restricted radiotelephone license for the aviation band is easy to get, and does not require a test. I live in an aviation community and have one.

Walt Brown, AB1PW

AC7DD likes this.
  9. N2UHC

OK, did some searching around and the actual name of the company is Powrachute. They started in Columbus, KS, and I think they briefly moved to Neodesha but are now located in Hastings, MI. So if you contact someone at that listed Neodesha address, they'll likely have no clue what you're talking about. I wonder how many other addresses in that list are incorrect?

KK4HPY and WU8Y like this.
  10. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

another fake story..--OK OK if its such a big deal or if its true...vidio the conversation of your ht hear it then video when they land and asking them.and video the cars they arrive in....simple send it to the er FCC with a complaint...let then handle it from there...simple as that...

KK4HPY likes this.
  11. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever listened to the bottom end of 2 meters when road construction, natural gas drillers or pipelines are being laid? Im not sure that all are bootleggers, I think some are the study the answers to the test to get your license Hams and give their non-licensed co-workers an HT to conduct business in the ssb/cw portion of the band. This stuff has been going on for years, there in no blood being shed so just shrug your shoulders and move on and enjoy the view. If you have listened to the way that some "licensed" hams conduct themselves on HF (7.220 for one example) you'll understand we cant police them all.

12. KF5KHG

KF5KHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Shotgun and some "Skeet Loads" should solve the problem ;-)

13. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This! We know who these people are and where and we can't fix THAT.

WQ4G likes this.
  14. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is upon the aviation users to anticipate any such "emergency" and provide the appropriate communications channels/radios/frequencies to use for such an event. There is NO provision for the use of what would be considered "outside channels" (police, fire, ES. or any licensed service) on a routine basis. The rules change when the isolated emergency event does take place. S0, if a person were to transmit a call for help or a "Mayday" on amateur frequencies, then we should help them, go to their aid, assist in whatever way we can. But the "emergency", on whatever frequency, better damn well BE an emergency, and the result of the call, and any "punishment" should it not be deemed an emergency, is upon the initiator of the call. It is NOT upon the legal users of the band in question.

If amateurs are engaging in normal amateur traffic, nets, qso's, or otherwise perfectly legal operations, and there are interlopers on the frequency simply for the purpose of their convenience. that unauthorized activity IS illegal. Period. Furthermore, licensed and legal users of radio services are NOT required to expect OR respect such illegal operations while conducting their business at hand. Therefore, if there such stations routinely operating on amateur channels of any band, a licensed user is NOT required to stand by, stand back, or stand FOR those operations that are not already a shared operation as per FCC regulations/agreements.

In order to stop such interlopers, the best way to do so is to operate ON these frequencies (2M simplex) while ignoring the illegals. Operating in spite of illegal stations, ignoring their presence is NOT "jamming"; a station that is illegal to start with has NO protection against "jamming" because he has no damn business BEING on the frequency to start with! IF there is a "Mayday", or call for help, one must assist. Just that simple.

So talk OVER them when you hear 'em (except in an emergency). They'll get the idea and move on.

15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I would agree and was not suggesting blanket jamming. Selective channel capturing which can be done easily on FM and including a message to whoever is in charge would possibly be a first step and keep repeating it every time they are on. If it disrupted their play time enough they may get the message. Be sure to ID properly to be legal:p:D