ad: wmr-1

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB4TF

WB4TF Ham Member QRZ Page

Gonna go out on a limb here and say the OP has more of an issue with the "sport" itself than the use of the 2M ham band for communications. However, given their higher altitude a 5 watt handheld would cover an area a whole lot larger than 5 watts at ground level.

WU8Y, W9AFB and KG7VTO like this.
  2. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not saying everyone but a lot, here in the vast Mojave Desert... weekends and holidays off roaders operating two meters band. Dad, mom and the kids yakking away. When challenge as to call sign, they move to secret channel two. Not that hard to find them again up or down the band. If you look at off road accessories... cheap "long distant" rigs being sold all the time. Thanksgiving weekend will be a dooize.

Where's the radio police when you need them?

CAM, WA6VVC / WA6CAM

3. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd suggest a small change to the FCC rules, as follows:

Permit limited announcements be made on amateur frequencies to non-amateurs believed to be operating illegally or simply listening. These would be limited essentially to descriptions of how to get licensed, announcement of license education classes or license exams, etc. No threats (other than the implied threat if you read from part 97), no deliberate QRM of their illegal use (because this would also be QRM of proper users of the band), simply educational material intended to get people licensed. I'd also permit pointing people to GMRS licensing.

If these folk are actively using radios and find them useful, then we should invite them into the fold.

I believe that the above is currently prohibited under FCC rules, because you are not permitted to send messages ('brodcast') to non-amateurs.

FWIW my only encounter with this particular use of amateur frequencies was a friend who's boyfriend was studying for his tech license in order to use 2m while doing some sort of sail sport. She looked at his study material, said 'I can do that' and proceeded to get her license. She then broke up with the guy. AFAIK she has never actually used her license.

Jon
    AF7TS

KW4ZW and AC7DD like this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Try learning how to use other modes and switch during contests....pretty simple no?

WQ4G likes this.
  5. W7ASC

W7ASC Ham Member QRZ Page

§95.2707 Airborne use of MURS not authorized.
    Notwithstanding the provisions of §95.307, MURS operation is not authorized aboard aircraft in flight.

This whould give them another federal regulation they can break.

-- Tom
    AD7PM

6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling it the "new CB band of interference" is a stretch.
    If you listen to the CB band these days, you will notice that most operators are quite well-behaved (except for the trucker chaos channel).
    There is almost nobody on CB anymore, except for occasional activity on these channels:
    • trucker channel 19
    • channel 6
    • channel 38 LSB
    Maybe a better comparison would be to say that it is the "new 75 meter band of interference", where constant jamming, music, and fights are a nightly occurrence :)

WU8Y, WQ4G, W4POT and 3 others like this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like what used to go on here on the Political forum

8. KQ6XA

Hang Gliding/Paragliding/Paramotor/PPC/PPG frequencies in USA:
    US Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association (USHPA) is licensed on some industrial/business VHF FM frequencies for "Nationwide Mobile and Itinerant" use; including Hawaii, Alaska, and US Territories. USHPA charges a $15 one-time fee. FCC part 90. (Baofengs, etc. are legal for these freqs) :)

• 151.625 MHz,
    • 151.955 MHz
    • 151.505 MHz
    • 158.400 MHz
    • 151.925 MHz

Hang Gliding/Paragliding/Paramotor/PPC/PPG frequencies in Canada:
    Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association of Canada (HPAC) uses 173.640 MHz FM for "Hang Gliding club use".
    The following frequencies are available in Canada:
    • 123.400 MHz AM in the Aircraft Band
    • 173.640 MHz FM for Para operations (shared non-interference basis)
    • CB 27 MHz AM/SSB any channel

There is a thread on the West Coast Soaring Club forum in Canada called "Why the Amateur Radio People Hate Us...."
    Some of the pilots lament the fact that many of the PPC pilots already own and use Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu HTs which are locked out from transmitting outside the ham bands :)
    That seems like an example of regulatory and radio manufacturers' misguided attempt to control out-of-band ham operation, that has completely backfired.
    They seem to be using 146.415 MHz and 146.460 MHz.

Worldwide Paraglider frequency list:
    Globe Gliders

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    NUITSBLANCHES, AC7DD, WU8Y and 2 others like this.
  9. ZL2SCI

ZL2SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hullo folks , the French RI's have the simplest solution they patrol launch slopes and any one with out appropriate licence's or radio for the activities have radio's ceased and a battery drill is used to disable the said radio ... Seems those who abide using am air band are PPP EFT alone ... Yes I agree I would need to know of other aircraft in the air space seems rather pointless not knowing ...

10. KQ6XA

At one popular Para location in San Bernardino, Southern California, the Crestline Soaring Society seems to be using 145.555 MHz FM.
    Reading their forum, it seems that many of the pilots have ham licenses and encourage other pilots to get their license.

In fact, if you read some of the other Para forums, there seems to be a lot of pilots getting ham licenses (mostly Tech).

NUITSBLANCHES, AC7DD and K6LPM like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie you nailed it well. I had been thinking similarly that a far more suitable place for PG ops who do not want to be Hams is the 11m CB band. Despite occasional skip, there are no repeaters, no weak-signal users, no digital, a lot less activity with a lot more open channels. Rigs and HT's are NOT expensive as seen here.

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem that @KM1MT pointed out with the USHPA frequencies is they were poorly advised for that application. They are designated for business band "itinerant" users, meaning there are thousands of sources of probable QRM from all over. HPAC in Canada has a far more sensible plan.

SOMEBODY like the ARRL, or (ahem), @KM1MT (with help from @KQ6XA? ;)) should start working with USHPA to change that ASAP, and/or as others have said, use it as a primo Ham recruiting opportunity.

FAA licensed pilots were formerly required to have a FCC Restricted Radio permits (the old 3rd Class Commercial), as well as medical certs. Unlicensed PG pilots, should they choose to use Ham gear, ought to see acquiring an Amateur Radio Tech as just a very small step toward being more qualified for their activity.

WQ4G likes this.
  13. KQ6XA

Too late to advocate for CB :)
    There probably isn't any way to change their use of VHF FM at this point, because it is already widespread, and their helmet and bluetooth systems are set up for it.
    However, it may be possible to "corral" them onto one "National Para Ham frequency" on 2 meters if enough effort was put into promoting it.
    Pick one of the less-used simplex freqs on 2 meters and start promoting :)

There is a surprisingly large number of Para pilots who are already hams.
    We are missing out on the new ham radio operator outreach recruiting here, folks.
    Ham classes at the air parks!

KW4ZW, AC7DD, W9MB and 2 others like this.
  14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well before writing me off as an intolerant grumpy old fart, try to consider that we are a society of laws and as such it's simply expected for these individuals to respect that.

I'm tolerant and heck i'm even flexible, ...but I don't usually make a habit of openly embracing individuals who don't exhibit any respect for the law.

WQ4G, G8HGN, KM1H and 2 others like this.
  15. WW5JS

WW5JS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd never advocate using any frequency in an unlawful manner. But I can see how an unlicensed ordinary person with a Baofeng might infer from all the dead air on 2 meters that no harm would be done by occasionally using a small part of all that empty space.

I'd love to see 2 meter simplex be an actual thing, but the realist in me knows I'll probably never see that in my lifetime. I have very little interest in repeaters, and from the dozens of times I've called CQ on 2 meters, I've only ever had one answer. I rarely even try now.

So from my perspective if these paragliders get their tech licenses and operate in a respectful manner, it's probably a win-win. We are in a use it or lose it world. Encouraging legal use is going to be much better for us than trying to chase off unlicensed users.