ad: Halibut-1

Vortex Joe, N3IBX Collection AUCTION!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And for those wanting the Auction house info.

Feel free to use any of the methods below to get in touch with our team

Mailing Address:
    Absolute Auctions & Realty, Inc.
    P.O. Box 1739
    Pleasant Valley, NY 12569

(800) 243-0061 or (845) 635-3169
    Fax: 845-635-5140
    Email: info@aarauctions.com

Voicemail Menu Options:

Real Estate: Option 2
    Consigning Your Items: Option 3
    Directions to Absolute Auction Center: Option 4
    Antique & Estate Auction Information: Option 5
    EZfast Information: Option 6
    Administrative Offices: Option 7

Business Hours:

9:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday-Friday on Non-Auction Weeks

3:00 pm - 8:00 pm on Friday Preview Days

3:00 pm - End of Auction on Auction
    Saturdays
    Closed on Non-Auction Weekends and Major Holidays

They need more lead time on these announcements.

KA2RRK

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KC2YMO

KC2YMO Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!

4. AA3AE

AA3AE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh geez, this is the guy who I referred to as "radio guy" when I lived in Philly because every time I tried to bid on radios at Freemans Auction House I was outbid by someone. And this became a pattern, it was always the same guy. Vortex Joe, how appropriate!

N2EY likes this.
  5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I met Joe on 6 meters several years ago, he informed me that I was very close to a ham friend of his Bill W2DGB a WWII vet. Turned out he only lives 2 miles from me and after feeling each other out at a planned lunch I found out he could no longer drive to hamfests so I suggested I drive and we go together. Long story short we became friends, as a matter of fact I just returned from picking him up and going to breakfast which we have done every Thursday for the past 6 or 7 years as well as hitting hamfests and visiting ham friends of his. Bill has a collection similar if not larger than Joe's and they often swap back and forth. Bill has introduced me to other hams who also have similar or larger collections. I am amazed Pennsylvania is not 100' lower than all other states from all the boat anchors in the eastern part of the state! I have only been to Joe's QTH twice but had a great visit both times, he is a great host.

WJ4U, W7UUU and N2EY like this.
  6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is the biggest boat anchor collection that I’ve ever seen. It’s probably a hamfest supreme for some of you.

7. WA8UEG

Trust me, I know of 3 that are larger in eastern PA BUT he is not selling is complete collection. He has close to as much that’s not listed.

If you want to see pics of some giant collections send me an Email. Many if not all are all in pristine condition and go back to the 40’s.

N2EY likes this.
  8. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KI7ARR - my sentiments exactly. I know there are collectors out there - but you can't go home to like it used to me. It's too bad recycle-rs don't pay good bucks for these antiquated boat anchors.

9. WA8UEG

One friend gave a small portion to AWA, it filled a 26' Penske truck floor to ceiling but only was about 20% of what he has!!

10. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet 2/3 of what was sold will end up on ePay. lots of recyclers bought it up.

11. WA8UEG

Absolutely no doubt.
    Most The Drake radio’s were not close to their value IF THEY WORK. And even if they don’t much more then they sold for.

12. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And that's perfectly OK. Here's why:

Whoever bought those old radios has to pay for them, go get them or pay someone to do so, check them out (at least minimally), put them on eBay, sell and ship them. There are fees and costs all along the path, plus their time and effort. If they wind up ahead by selling those old Drake radios - they earned the money.

-----

What's really bad, for all involved, is when someone amasses a hoard of old radio stuff, stores it improperly and does nothing useful with it. Then the hoarder dies or becomes incapacitated, and all that great old radio stuff gets hauled away and dumpstered, because the family can't deal with it and only wants it gone. Often what was good radio stuff has been turned into worthless trash due to improper storage. Often treasures are lost because they are mixed in with piles of junk.

-----

A quick tally of all the items sale prices works out to just under $20,000 if my math is right ($19,583, but I did it fast so may be a bit off.)

Very few items didn't sell.

I don't know if the auction house takes their fees out of the sale price, or if the buyers pay the fees on top of the auction price. Either way, a good number of classics found new homes and Joe got some decent cash for them. Win-win!!

73 de Jim, N2EY

13. WA8UEG

Yea I agree. I believe his take was around $13k. He will have round 2 listed in a while.

N2EY likes this.
  14. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most excellent!

73 de Jim, N2EY

15. KA2CAF

KA2CAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Jim... I only found out about Joes passing this summer.. I left an Email with the auction house. Because there is an Issue... The Gates BC-1T transmitter that was in Joes Basement was loaned to him.. he did Not own It. I did. and I would Like to know where it Ended up... last Time I saw Joe was after my Wife's Funeral in 2014.. after that My Health went to shit. I finally went to Visit him to find the house was sold and He passed away. Jocelyn said she had No Idea where any of his stuff went she said guys from the radio club came over and would take care of getting rid of it... from what she told me I think she said she did Not get anything from them. so where did the Money Go? where did MY transmitter GO.. Neal KA2CAF not a happy camper. I can be reached Via W2CJA@yahoo.com