ad: CQMM-1

Rev. Paul Bittner W0AIH - SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by NN3W, Nov 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

It is with tremendous sadness that it must be reported that the Rev. Paul Bittner W0AIH became a SK today in a tower climbing accident at his famous QTH.

Paul was one of the greats in contesting (a member of the CQ Contesting Hall of Fame), a true gentleman, and one of the most spectacular hams you will ever meet.

The contesting community, the ham community in the upper midwest and his friends (of which he had thousands) are pretty numb right now.

73 OM

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I KNEW PAUL FOR MANY YEARS
    ON THE VARIOUS BANDS.
    HE WILL BE MISSED
    W0AIH TRIBUTE.jpg
    candle_animation_1_.gif

N2LJN likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

OH NO!!!! So sad. Sincere condolences to his family. Such a sad thing. :(

He's in my log a bunch of times on 160 - have his QSL card for several of them.

I'm just shocked.... :(

Dave
    W7UUU

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad.

I met Paul WØAIH decades ago, introduced by other contest hams I knew from my time in the Twins Cities. Have been to his expansive Radio Farm several times, which he steadfastly maintained for his gang of ops. Amazingly fit, Paul kept climbing towers even at his advanced age. He was doing what he loved. Last weekend WØAIH posted results for the CQWW SSB on 3830Scores. The soapbox comments are worth reading. My condolences to the whole group, especially Mary.

RIP, John, WØPV

PS - Paul is so well known this story should be on the Zed News front page.

5. AC5O

AC5O Ham Member QRZ Page

Met Paul quite a few times in contests and in person at Hamvention. My condolences to his family.
    RIP Paul AC5O Jeff

6. K8JA

K8JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I Have been to His Antenna Farm In Wisconsin .....Awsome Site ...And he
    Was An Awsome Person to Know .... R.I.P.

7. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What an amazing man. RIP.

8. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Clearly, he was doing what he loved.

Jim, WQ2H

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am so softy to read this.

I never met Paul, but I worked him many many times. Always top notch in every way.

Condolences to all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul operated and built the WØAIH complex into a long time respected contest icon. Settling into the upper Midwest region and its notorious EMF "Black Hole" for propagation was no deterrent.

The CQWW contest database lists entries from Paul since 1958, FIFTY (50) YEARS! Inducted into the CQ Contest Hall Of Fame 2009.

Searching for W0AIH in the online 3830Scores records often reveals details in contest entry soapbox comments, interesting anecdotes illustrating just how generous Paul was to the contest community with the use of the super-station.

I'm sure the Minnesota Wireless Association and Twin City DXA is shocked. My condolences to them as well. Note the extensive biography of Paul published in the latter's newsletter in 2014.

I am sure many many others have more to add.

11. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

I never met the man personally but one never missed his signal ... Many many contest QSOs. Can't help the tear coming down my cheek. 73 and Rest in Peace!

12. VE3YF

VE3YF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad news indeed.

Paul was a very good friend both on air and in person. I am truly shocked to hear how he died.

Paul will be sadly missed. My heartfelt condolences to Mary and the whole Bittner family.

RIP Paul my good friend.

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

14. HB9LCW

HB9LCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul was already visiting me and we had interesting conversations about our hobby.
    He was a very nice and friendly person.
    We lost a big radio amateur.
    My heartfelt condolences go to Mary and the whole family.
    RIP Paul my friend.

73 de Silvio
    HB9LCW

15. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Paul was a great friend to me and many in MWA and TCDXA. He did fall from a tower where he was working. His family have released some details. Paul was preparing his station for ARRL SS and CQ WW CW. He had enjoyed the CQ WW SSB but had admitted he was likely soon to stop hosting MM due to amount of work involved.
    I know his family will appreciate all of the nice words posted on this forum.

NL7W likes this.