ad: Schulman-1

Vortex Joe, N3IBX Collection AUCTION!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

We were recently contacted by an auction company, AARauctions.com, about a large collection of amateur gear for sale by online auction. They had asked if they could advertise in our online swapmeet however due to the nature of the sale, we thought it best to mention it as a front page article.

This is a HUGE auction with over 400 items. Mostly older gear, lots of Military and Industrial, along with plenty of ham gear.

Please note: QRZ is not affiliated in any way with AARauctions.com, and has received no compensation whatsoever for this article. The information regarding this auction is provided as a public service to the community. QRZ has no information other that what is printed in this article regarding this sale.

https://www.aarbids.com/servlet/Search.do?auctionId=3029

large-169425.0_1.jpg

From AARauctions:
    This is a huge online auction of over 350 items from Vortex Joe's (N3IBX) 50+ year collection. He wants to see his items appreciated by other ham radio operators. He has rare and unusual pieces not commonly found in the marketplace including military radios, vintage & modern components, Heathkit, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, ICOM, National Radio Company, RCA, Kenwood, Gonset, E.F. Johnson & many more, boat anchors, receivers, transmitters, exciters, amplifiers, shortwave radios, cabinets, speakers, tuners, vacuum tubes, tube testers, Hallicrafters transceiver "Hurricane" SR-2000. Preview by appointment in Pleasant Valley, NY. Complete details, free registration & online bidding are available at the above link.

large-169173.0_1.jpg large-169168.0_1.jpg

More about Joe N3IBX can be found at the Vortex Joe Museum.

http://w2dtc.com/2004-0711-vortex-joe-page.htm

73, -fred

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    KD2ANN, KC2YMO, KC2DHU and 5 others like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know Joe....or at least, I did.

Way back about 20 years ago I sold him a DX-100 that needed lots of work, a homebrew receiver built by W3QLV (SK) and an 80 meter frequency synthesizer (also by W3QLV - it was in QST).

Glad to see he's still doing his thing.

Thanks for putting this front-and-center!

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that the Valiant II is the one that he bought from the guy I sold it to. I bought it from the Murray Hill Bell Labs club station back around 1980.

Just looked again at the pics... if that's mine it has sure taken a beating in the 15 or so years since I've sold it. Was near mint when I sold it!

And the link at the bottom to W2DTC page... Ken was my very first 'real' QSO on 80 meters back around 1969-1970!

This is most likely the SX-28 that I restored and ended up in Joe's vortex with my bud Ken at the steering wheel:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    W7UUU and KA2RRK like this.
  4. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

neat o ...

5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my, that just way too many radios especially when you have to build a 2nd and 3rd building to hold your radio collection.

I was going to say that this guy really needs to get a Hobby but then I realized that this is his hobby.

AK5B and N2EY like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

"Hoarding" >>> the "Hobby of Owning"

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

WN2C, AK5B and K7MH like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe....but....consider:

- All the radios are stored safely. They're on shelves, in racks, etc. There are pathways to get to everything.

- Joe is thinning the collection. Others will get to enjoy the radios.

73 de Jim, N2EY

VA7ZZT, AK5B, KA2FIR and 2 others like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"This is a huge online auction of over 350 items from Vortex Joe's (N3IXB) 50+ year collection."

Correction on Joe's call it is N3IBX . Have know Joe since around the early 90s.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    K4TJA, AK5B and N2EY like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Page 4 of the auction website has lotsa parts, tubes. Don't miss these....

AK5B, N2EY and W7UUU like this.
  10. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I see at least a hundred new QRZ Trivia questions beginning with "What is a ...?"

K7LZR, AK5B, SA1CKE and 2 others like this.
  11. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Thx. We corrected it. 73 -fred

KA2RRK, AK5B and N2EY like this.
  12. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

DEAR QRZ FRIENDS,

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP
    ON THIS AUCTION.
    I HAVE FORWARDED THIS INFO
    ON TO OUR CLUB MEMBERS.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club

SMALL SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg
    CFO # 1008

N2EY likes this.
  13. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

OH MY GOD !!!! JIM,

I JUST CHECKED MY LOG AND
    WE HAD A QSO BACK IN JUNE OF 1997
    DURING THE ARRL FIELD DAY
    AND ANOTHER QSO DURING THE
    2000 ARRL FIELD DAY.

OUR LAST QSO WAS BACK IN JUNE OF
    2002 BUT IT WAS NOT DURING THE
    FIELD DAY EVENT.

SMALL SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg
    CFO # 1008

W1YW, N2EY and W7UUU like this.
  14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Now that's just plain old COOL!!!

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP likes this.
  15. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow I always wondered what happened to my heavy iron. I used to have 22 operating vintage positions back in the 1980's. Two BC-610's, three Globe Kings and the Gold Dust Twins just to name a few.