ad: QSLWorks-1

Detained Norwegian Radio Amateur Now Allowed to Leave Chad

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Establishing an amateur radio presence in a country that doesn't have a significant one is a process. That process includes engagement with regulators and other authorities, and those engagements will be influenced by issues unique to each country.

What doesn't help is denigrating the regulator or other authorities, or the government as a whole. The very definition of the amateur service in Article 1.56 of the ITU Radio Regulations has "duly authorized persons" as an element. Without the cooperation of those in a position to duly authorize, we are . . . well, we aren't.

N2EY, KF4ZKU and W1YW like this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly! If people think the 'bad mouthing' that sometimes goes on on the net does not reach those involved, think again. Not to say it may jeopardize the safety of the ham/s already in-country.

It's just commom-sense, not very commom these days, but think: you need something from somebody. He/she does not have/need to do it. How do you proceed? Politely, and yes, with some BS sometimes. Egos need to be fed.;)

As the old saying goes: one is more likely to atract bees with sugar than vinegar.

N2EY, KF4ZKU and N4QX like this.
  3. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

It is NOT one world; there are nations that will never progress and should be avoided and left alone.

KE4OH and W8JBM like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that.

Americans, in particular, are used to speaking their minds, fact-based or not.

The problem is most countries have a very different approach. You don't necessarily need to RESPECT it (let alone agree with it), just be aware of it and don't jeopardize others in their travels.

Hope Ken doesn't get discouraged from trying again elsewhere.

Chip W1YW

N2EY, KF4ZKU, WD3N and 1 other person like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they may eventually 'progress' ; but the bottom line is we all live in real-time and understanding and dealing with the reality of the moment is a profound directive for survival elsewhere.

Chip W1YW

WD3N and N4QX like this.
  6. N2RDQ

N2RDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

note to self: remove chad off my vacation list

K7KBN, KD4MOJ, KH2RU and 2 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree.

Chad is a poor country attempting to pull itself up by its bootstraps. Under the right circumstances many further dxpeditions are warranted.

Chad is not Liberia.... Liberia is a mess.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

There are problems in some countries, but things do not happen overnight, it usually simmers for a while. It's incumbent on the DXpeditioner to monitor the situation well before the planned DXpedition.

That said, I emphasize, DXpetioners are GUESTS. Don't 'throw your weight around' thinking you are a 'big shot' just because you come from a rich country. It's THEIR country, THEIR culture. Your passport is as good as THEY say it is. Be NICE, even if you hate everything about the place.

Regarding the second paragraph above, if it's not a 'natural' for you, you should not try operating from these countries. And as mentioned before, the 'armchair' political commentators should keep their mouth shut, as not to cause or compound problems.

N4QX and W1YW like this.
  9. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Listening to FT8 very long will definately fry your brain...

W1YW likes this.
  10. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I lived in or short stays in 70 countries the last 43 years, and let me tell you, it is not always recommended to operate Ham radio even when you are legal. I was in Guinea Africa, and done all the correct paper work. I was arrested, my radio taken away, and had to pay 500 (USD) to get out of jail. (1980's)

Turkmenistan, that was another place, I had issues, but a few hundred dollars avoided all the problems. (Another loss of Ham equipment) (Back in 1990's)

On the other hand, Morocco (CN8ST, took care of me! FYI Found my XYL!), Greece was super (SV1JG, set me up), Bahrain, and UAE all good, Aussie land was a blast! (Met VK3MO!)

Cheers

NN2X
    TOM

11. SM6BMC

SM6BMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very strange behaviour of the authorities!

KA1BSZ likes this.
  12. WA4HBK

WA4HBK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have operated in several of the so-called third world countries I would personally lower the rating a bit from 3rd.But I have successfully operated from some of the more unstable places. Guinea/J5TUBA, Ivory Coast 2 years/TU4EC, TU5BA, Burkina Faso/XT2CH, Mogadishu/TU4EC/T5. Once my licenses were issue no hassles after that. And I made certain that they were welcome to monitor my RF. TCHAD is almost paranoid concerning coups, they even jokingly referred to certain times as the coup season.

13. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

really? I operate mobile 90% and have worked dx such as VK,YB,UT,HK,KP4,CO2,G,DL and TG all from my mobile and a tarheel.

14. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Also North Sentinel Island.

15. LA3VEA

LA3VEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Then my brain should be fried by now. . 4000+ QSOs since February 1.