ad: Schulman-1

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

What is a dipole??

K6UMA likes this.
  2. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Calculate, measure parameters, trim. Model if you like a fourth step. It doesn't matter if it's paper or some calculator online. I just used one and it worked to within a foot for a 75 meter dipole. But I still measured the electrical characteristics and trimmed. What methodology you chose is NOT a reflection of your worthiness. Just use a method and don't do something random (short of a random length balanced doublet, hihi) I don't buy into this "if you don't do it MY way you're not legit" mentality. Only morons say things like that.

There are so many variables ANY calculation method will be inaccurate, unless you put up your dipole in a vacuum in perfect free space. So all this (including the OP) is academic, since any calculation is just a rough guideline. It still comes down to electrical measurement and tuning.

PA0MHS likes this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

An EDZ is a non-resonant antenna, so it can vary quite a bit in length and still perform close to optimum. The matching stub will change based on the chosen length of the EDZ.

4. N8XI

N8XI Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N8XI

N8XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Somebody ought to tell him his abacus is broken :0)

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  6. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you just did. :)

7. K6UMA

K6UMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep learning. Your "how to be a good ambassador for amateur radio" still needs work.

8. K6UMA

K6UMA Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet you're a lot of fun to talk to on the air.

Great job being an ambassador for amateur radio.
    4) Look up the definition of "sarcasm" - then apply to "Great job being an ambassador for amateur radio."

WB5MG likes this.
  9. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

My future son-n-law has a computer science degree but could not properly use a shovel until he went through my basic course in the use of hand tools.

KC1DR, KK4NA and WN1MB like this.
  10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Metal end towards the ground.

11. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

They have grown up with "do not attempt" shown on every ad for a product and they have taken that to heart.

WN1MB likes this.
  12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That wont work for many because you forgot to include the necessary shortening as an inverted V. So for the next time use ~ -3%
    Then to take it a step further apply the ground effect shortening for antennas below 1/4 wave or so. That also changes the feed impedance so if the VSWR is worse than 1:1 an expensive antenna tuner may be needed.:rolleyes:

Carl
    Ham since 1955 and still building my own antennas from wires to multi element yagis.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and WN1MB like this.
  13. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most new cars don't come with spares anymore, mine did not. I had to buy one for it. At least it had a place to store it and a jack. He would have had fun with my old Plymouth, it had left hand threads on the left side wheels.

14. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked for me. 468/7.2375/2= 32.33ft which got me a 1.3: swr across the band.

15. WB4BLY

WB4BLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Also the height above ground and the orientation of the dipole elements as well as proximity to metallic objects affect the actual length for resonance at any frequency. Any calculator is only a quick math substitute to get you in the ball park and then you can fine tune for resonance at the desired operating frequency.
    Since I did not have a computer until 1980, I used a slide rule to calculate. I wonder how many people know what one is?

Joe
    WB4BLY