ad: Alphaant-1

The FCC fights back!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6VPS

WA6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

(Writer of that blog^ here, Lucky225 de WA6VPS) This is from Sept. 27th and already been discussed several times in the thread. At the top of that blog post you'll see they 'back pedaled' on Sept 28th saying it's okay to use them in the ham bands and that it's actually illegal. Since then however ARRL is "in talks" with the Enforcement bureau. Let's not beat this dead horse any more and wait for the outcome, it seems likely based on the fact ARRL is involved now that they're going to walk this back again or grant a temporary exemption from the rules and propose a new rule or something similar.

W1YW likes this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Meanwhile, who was in the middle of all this? I won't say "disinformation" was spread by any particular party, but, one would have a hard time convincing some in the audience that that is what may have happened here ... no?

PRESS any particular individual (esp. in enforcement) in the FCC hard enough (or, give them insufficient info or 'back ground') on a particular matter, and you can get 'them' to say almost anything ...

3. WA6VPS

WA6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly wasn't my intention. Initially the FCC said it was perfectly fine, then they walked it back with the below email:
    After asking for clarification she followed that up with the following (while I was on the phone with her):

Yes, she's only one person at the FCC, but she is the Enforcement Bureau Special Counsel, her words do have weight that one would think reflects the Commission's position and obviously needs further clarification. I'm just the messenger here, I wasn't trying to provide any disinformation, I was trying to actually get the FCC to clarify the opposite that the disinformation that was being distributed was incorrect, that just wasn't the result that was achieved, and I wasn't targeting Laura Smith directly, I sent my original email to whom I thought were the appropriate parties:

will.wiquist@fcc.gov,
    Jessica.Rosenworcel@fcc.gov,
    Brendan.Carr@fcc.gov,
    Mike.O'Rielly@fcc.gov,
    Ajit.Pai@fcc.gov,
    Rosemary.Harold@fcc.gov

In the mean time another operator got a response from Scot Stone that was more in line with our view that operating on amateur band was fine regardless of what radio is used, so I sent him a note and he forwarded me on to Laura Smith who contradicted his position..

AC7DD likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This isn 't the first time this type of issue has come before the FCC, but it may be the first time Ms. Smith has seen it. Give it a couple of weeks to shake out. Chances are that all these radios will be deemed valid when used by a Part 97 licencee operating under Part 97.

Likely that future purchase will require providing your callsign.

Again, the real issue is use of these radio by non-hams, without authorization.

Just remember the country of origin and their tactics are the issue here.

PRC tried the same thing with 'pocket jammers' back in around and after 2010. That was a disaster that took major effort to contain.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    WA6VPS likes this.
  5. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your right, this stuff brings out the worse in people. I regret making the post. Not because what others say about me , truthfully I could care less, I don't give a rats ass about that. my wife and kids are most important. I should have known this would be way too controversial for some. and that's why I quit commenting, it's a waste of time. I could make a post stating that the sky is blue during the daytime, and there will always be one pot stirrer that has to get their two cents in, It's like an obsession! and claim it was not blue, that it was safety orange, and that I was an ARRL robot because the ARRL also says the sky is blue.and start name calling.
    People resort to name calling when they have no substance to their argument.
    anyways , back to work.. 73;s

W0BTU likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This was what you posted, as news. It is incorrect. That's why there has been so much contention.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this will be voted on along with bump stocks.

You can own them, You just cant use them.

N7EVL, KF4ZKU and N9JML like this.
  8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Your right,"
    Your right or your rights as an American citizen? Can you clear this up?

Maybe you mean "You're right" as in "You are right". Not clear the way you rote it -er- WROTE it. Whew.

9. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW likes this.
  10. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Was not referring to u. :)

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No one hates anyone here.

The crux of the thread is that PRC is not playing by the rules. This is hardly the first time PRC has been brought to task on such issues. Its NOT an ethnic issue: again, those who think it is have to spend some time understanding the realities of human existence. Start with respect.

The very interesting and important point is that hams are not the offenders here--the exploitation of the illegal marketing and sale of these transceivers is happening with others, who are buying the units and hitting the ham bands with them(for example). We are not the problem.

Perhaps many of those are 'preppers' in the US. I suspect that's the main market. If you leave the cities you will find an undercurrent that the country is going to hell in a handbasket, and part of that response is to be a 'prepper'. Enough said on that-- IMO you don't walk away from problems, but communicate and try to resolve. That is OFTEN exactly what we do on these threads :)

It is disappointing that the FCC is, at the very least, unclear about the point of use of these units BY hams. Thanks to the many who queried that for us, and just wait a bit.

No doubt we will have a definitive resolution to that shortly, in part from the ARRL's positive efforts on our behalf.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  12. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to hear this crack down on that chinese junk. They have been using the junk in the business bands and all over the place.

W5TXR likes this.
  13. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I meant "right" as in correct.

14. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm afraid this cat has been left out of the bag far too long. Enforcement...if any...will be a long slow procedure. But a good start would be to ban "new" products that don't meet FCC requirements. It will take a generation for non compliant hardware to disappear.

WA9WSJ, KF4ZKU, AC7DD and 2 others like this.
  15. KE5XA

KE5XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a broadcast engineer for almost 45 years. In 1970 when I started in Television, the FCC would routinely sit in a market for a few days and monitor the broadcasters and all manners of radio communications. They would then pop in, do a snap inspection and issue citations where necessary. somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s the FCC gave up all of its enforcement teeth, and was neutered so to speak. I wish they would get back to being a regulatory agency not a profit center for the politicians. Wake up FCC, the house is burning down, it's not just the coffee burning. I really wish they would scan 40 meters in the evening, catch the moron broadcasting all of the profanity and lock him away for a very long time. Back on point. As for my two Baofeng/Btech VHF/UHF radios, they are FCC part 90 certified, work well and just what I needed being on a fixed/limited budget and only an occasional user. My hand held allows me to operate in the marine band when I am on the boat cutting down on the numbers of radios I have to own and maintain. By the way, where do you think Yaesu, Kenwood and others manufacture their radios? I would be willing to bet they come from the same factory the cheap radios do judging from the quality or lack of. Quite frankly, more American companies need to be willing to produce quality electronics in this country at a reasonable price. I will end my rant with this FCC, do not worry so much about regulating, there are already enough laws on the books, do some enforcement for a change.

Thank you, Very much

WA9WSJ, KF4ZKU and AC7DD like this.