ad: QuirkyQRP-1

A new solar index number is being published - Thermosphere Climate Index

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Oct 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not think we will live long enough to tell...
    But as they say: we did not inherit the planet from our parents, but we borrowed it from our kids!

I still think this is an interesting subject and if you can not accept global warming as a fact then just watch this new index and learn

NA4RA and KT4RK like this.
  2. K3RPK

K3RPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I still think this is an interesting subject and if you can not accept global warming as a fact then just watch this new index and learn[/QUOTE]

I will accept global warming when someone can show me what the average temperature of the earth is supposed to be. I don't want an average over the past 30 years. I want the average over the last 4.5 billion years.

KR3DX, AE8F, KD8SKZ and 2 others like this.
  3. VP9KF

VP9KF Ham Member QRZ Page

1200 degrees K. No such thing. It's 1200K.

VE7DXW and WN1MB like this.
  4. VE7DXW

I will accept global warming when someone can show me what the average temperature of the earth is supposed to be. I don't want an average over the past 30 years. I want the average over the last 4.5 billion years.[/QUOTE]

Scientist actually worked out the average temperature overt past 100.000 years. Which is pretty cool using air bubbles in ice found ice cores from the Antarctic. So we so have a good record of where we are in terms of global warming.
    As you might recall earth was a fireball of hot lava for a long time... so to measure the average temperature of the planet for 4.5B years does not make sense.

NA4RA and KT4RK like this.
  5. VE7DXW

1200K = 926.85C = 1700F

I hope this helps....

6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for clearing that up as I was going too.

KR3DX likes this.
  7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no independently verifiable data/evidence that anthropogenic climate change (harmful man induced global warming) is occurring. Water vapor is a much more powerful medium that traps long wave radiation than carbon dioxide.

K0WJ, KR3DX, K3RPK and 1 other person like this.
  8. VE7DXW

I agree with what you are saying, but a delicate balance has been disturbed and as the global temperature continues to rise more water vapor in the troposphere will make weather events more severe. More strong storms, hurricanes and cyclones as well have experienced in the past few years.
    The climate change is a runaway process and life on earth will be in the midst of it... the sad thing is that a lot of the "conveniences" that cause climate change could be done away with easily! It takes leadership to make the change now and it will not affect us as much as our grand kids, which will pay a horrible price, if we do nothing!

Alex

NA4RA likes this.
  9. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not a political view. There is absolutely zero of anything even remotely political in the original post.

NA4RA and VE7DXW like this.
  10. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

That statement is by definition, surely, a political one. Anyhoos, I'm not here to argue that.

Much Ionospheric science, these days, completely ignores the effect of galactic cosmic rays.
    Have you even noticed how long after we've passed the 'greyline' into deep-night and the Sun is now on the opposite side of Earth, propagation in the lower-D-layer (layers within layers - and here the lower layer) continues right through the night?
    No Solar-Radiation. Light travels in straight lines through our low-density atmosphere.

Galactic cosmic rays are the reason D-Layer propagation continues through the night for MF and into the lower HF bands, with 160m a particularly good example, Short hop as well as trans-atlantic hops.

"The ionisation in the lowest part of the D-layer is not, as in the rest of the ionosphere, produced by solar-radiation but by cosmic-radiation, consisting of very rapidly moving, charged particles coming from distant regions of space and impinging on The Earth equally by day and night. Their great speeds allow them to penetrate to ground level without their losing much energy, so that the rate at which they produce (free ionised) electrons is proportional to the concentration of the air-molecules available to be ionised, and is greater at greater depths."
    J.A Ratcliffe. Fellow of the Royal Society. (deceased)
    Former lecturer at Sydney Sussex College, Cambridge University.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/JZ067i013p05091
    This abstract from the Journal of Geophysical Research, a document from 1962, also gives consensus on this understanding of the 'physics of the lower atmosphere', which remains valid.
    It is not contested.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    KR3DX likes this.
  11. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

And air conditioner are a bigger threat than ISIS... You are welcome for the political injection my friend.

W0AEW, VE7DXW and KR3DX like this.
  12. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

And lets not forget the fake design presentation Al Gore did showing and telling everyone that storms across the atlantic above the equator turns in a clock-wise circlur motion..............yeah right Al Gore we thought you was a politition not a weather scientist....oh wait dont they both lie ...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    K0WJ and KR3DX like this.
  13. KT4RK

KT4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Next thing ya know, folks are going to be saying the science behind radio and propagation are all a bunch of B.S. put out by the liberal left to control the airwaves. Pretty sad when people allow their own political bias to get in the way of science... :rolleyes:

NA4RA likes this.
  14. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the heads-up Alex.

VE7DXW likes this.
  15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I was waiting for this message. It's sneaked into most every science article and documentary these days. I have a granddaughter who is 8 and is doing Global Warming propaganda at home from school. But I did ask her of she minded if GP ignored that stuff since he'd be dead in a few years and she gave me her blessing to ignore GW. I also bought several cases of the old Freon and whenever someone sneaks a GW message in someplace, I dump a can into the atmosphere. So, DXW, this R-22 is for you. My science is settled.

KR3DX likes this.