ad: AbAuRe-1

Yaesu to release 200W and 100W HF SDR Transceivers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Aug 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3MI

KB3MI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see a data or rtty mode setting like the 3000

2. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Performance wise, RS232 serial is still superior and no buggy drivers required. RS232 ports demand and get an instant response from the PCs CPU. That's by design and goes back decades. USB just waits in line hence the latency issues.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  3. W4POO

W4POO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

C O O L !!.....YAESU FT-DX 101 S D R .RADIO WOW;);)

4. W1PL

W1PL Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing... I mean nothing beats ANAN 7000/8000DLE so far.

Attached Files:

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The OP said 200 watts, Yaesu says 100 watts. Dual receive and DSP with waterfall display and independent control of the receivers. From what I can ascertain, it is not a direct sampling front end, if it is Yaesu has not said so. As near as I can tell this is an updated FTdx-3000 with a fancier internal computer control system for two receivers.

They also don't say that the receivers are independent, only that the control is independent. What does that mean? I don't know, have to wait and see. This could be a very competitive rig, or an also ran. The last really great contest radio they made was FT-1000D and that was a long time ago. My IC-7600 is SDR if you get right down to the nitty gritty so throwing the SDR word around does not meant much right now. When I see some published specs then I will be either impressed or not. Until then, the FTdx-101D is still vaporware.

6. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The new Kenwoood is now on the shelves and from what I'm reading that isn't SDR so evidentially every new radio doesn't HAVE to be SDR.

7. KA4DPO

Both the yet to be released Yaesu and the Kenwood actually are SDR. All of the control and display features, including signal processing algorithms, can be changed by software updates. Somewhere along the way amateurs have been fed an incorrect notion that an SDR must be direct sampling, that is simply not correct. A more appropriate response would be, a new radio doesn't have to be direct sampling.

There is nothing wrong with the front end designs in either the Kenwood or the Yaesu radios, they are just not direct sampling which, at least in the Kenwoods case, gives it superior dynamic range.

8. KC2FQ

The NOW RELEASED Kenwood is not SDR. I just watched the video with the chief engineer who designed it saying it is not SDR. That's not the deal breaker for me anyway. If I thought SDR was important I would be driving a Flex right now.

9. KA4DPO

It is not Direct Digital Sampling. It is software defined and meets the criteria for that axiom in every other part of it's operation.

Software Defined
    is the case where components and circuits have been replaced by a mathematical processor and software that contains the transforms, simulations, and even statistical processes that replace those things with virtual components in a mathematical construct. It doesn't have to be the entire radio since in almost all modern radios the operational parameters of multiple systems can be significantly changed via software changes (updates), which change the operation of the entire radio.

Filter shape, bandwidth, passband tuning, AGC, IF gain distribution/attenuation, noise reduction, heterodyne rejection, and audio shaping are all DSP fuctions. All of those functions used to be accomplished using discreet components and circuits. Now they are simulated in either a microprocessor or a gate array such as an FPGA running the software for that particular function.

Also, all of the controls, display characteristics (all of them), and several other features like calibration of oscillators, are all defined in software and can be easily modified via a software update. Adding a direct conversion front end adds another layer in the FPGA arithmetic processor but that is not the definition of SDR, only part of it.

AFWIW, in the Kenwood TS-890S, the switching pulse amplitude and duration, along with LO injection amplitude to the H-mixer circuit can be changed in software, along with a host of other operating conditions.

10. KC2FQ

Whatever, don't argue and bold type me, go do that with Kenwood and their chief engineer, guy who designed it.

AG5CK and KA0HCP like this.
  11. W7TRD

W7TRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, Amateur radio needs all the help it can get. Lets face it, Radio technology is ancient, anything new and (presumably) exciting will be a shot in the arm for our hobby. Not saying new radio's must be digital in nature, but new or retro designs would be welcome. Turntables and albums pretty much died in the 80's, and now it's back with a vengeance! Very much alive and well. Hopefully the same will happen to Amateur Radio....
    JMO...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  12. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No.

13. KA4DPO

Yes.

14. AG7JQ

AG7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Concerning Kenwood 890S il looks like they cut off simply second receiver (but kept the main from 990S) and reduced the power to 100W. The pictures of the board are focusing on the same elements like for 990S.
    It arrives very quickly after the presentation at Dayton and got FCC approval so apart keeping it secret for long time it's probably not a true new concept but downsized 990S with some improvements to make it more affordable and fill the gap with 590S. Looks still interesting.

15. AG7JQ

AG7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but the specs the makers are publishing are mostly the same: selectivity, sensitivity and so on… because usually to be meant not less than that or not worse than that… I can't really make a decision based only on that. OK, we have some independent testing like ARRL or Sherwood, and the hams reviews. Most of which says good to great rig… Each brands has their own unconditional supporters claiming their are the best.
    We will have to wait and see once released what will the general feedback from the users before running to the nearest shop.

K8NY likes this.