ad: chuckmartin

Custom Coax Cables for Your Station

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K8KSU, Sep 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes indeed.

2. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kinda like "We don't need to talk about anything but business at the Club meeting! I just want it to be over and go to Denny's after the meeting to hang out with my contesting group." Says the President of the club who has served as president for 25 years with the same 10 members present. Or!!! "Let's do something different at the club meetings!" "Like go outside the building and turn on some radios and get the new hams on the air and show them how to do things?" "No, 'like' split into groups so we can talk about contesting and CW."

KM6POA likes this.
  3. N5RYH

N5RYH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not complain about the New Generation of hams. I am not a fan of internet linking on repeaters I do not feel it Amateur radio. But I tolerate it. It not for me.

KM6POA likes this.
  4. N2OPQ

N2OPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw the picture and the headline and thought they were going to show an easier or better way of making our own custom cables. I see where some people need the video to help them along the webpage's "tool", but this shouldn't be showing up as news here. Although, I'm now contributing to the other problem, which is the reason I'm throwing in yet another comment... with 7 pages of comments to this, it will probably be promoted as one of the more popular "news stories".

5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like frying bacon naked, you only do it once :D

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You haven't been around my place at 2AM, Half asleep & hungry....:eek:

7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the 29 years that I've been a ham I've made many dozens of my own coax cable assemblies from anywhere of 2-150 feet long mostly RG-8X but also some of RG-213U. But as I've aged I've lost most fine motor skill and touch sensation in my fingers so can no longer make coax assemblies up.

So I now buy ready made ones from DX Engineering when needed for new antenna projects. They are not cheap but are of high quality.

I give all of my hamateur radio business nowadays to DX Engineering because they have excellent customer service.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    KM6POA, KD8DEY, K8KSU and 1 other person like this.
  8. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where's George Carlin when you need him?

Oh wait, he's dead ...

9. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guarantee that if I ordered a ready made coax, it would be too long or too short. Just like my "measure once, cut three times and then grab a new board" carpentry skills, I am better off to order more coax than I could possibly need for the job and put my own ends on.

But I do buy the coax from DXE. I have converted all my outdoor runs to DXE213.

K8KSU likes this.
  10. N4CAX

N4CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Where's the Fake News button when you need it?

WN1MB and K2NCC like this.
  11. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was ready to erect my tower, I realized I would need the better part of a 500' spool of coax (five lengths, close to 100' each). I had already used Davis RF's BuryFlex but, wasn't looking forward to the shipping cost from NH to WA. Comparison showed DX Engineering's DXE400MAX (link) appeared to be identical, with a lower per foot cost. Orders over $99 include ground shipping. RG-213's selling point is that it carries a Mil spec. DXE400MAX is actually better (more UV-resistant jacket, 100% shield, center conductor has more strands).

Today, at under $2/ea, The RF Connection (link) has the best deal on silver-plated UHF male connectors.

12. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

It is Called Click Bait and I fell for it, dout.............

13. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No. The OP is an advertisement masquerading as "news". A strong hint: the poster works for the company referenced in the post.

KE5ES likes this.
  14. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

In today's world filled with "fake news" from all sides, one would think the 'Zed would take the high-road on the issue.

Sadly, that's not the case. "News" has become a meaningless word and threads like this don't help the cause at all.

It's really no fault of DX Engineering, as the system here caters to those who have money VS those who have newsworthy content.

At least qrz.com moved it to Videos and Podcasts, VS the original spot in the mis-labled "Amateur Radio News" forum. :/

How can anyone take "news" seriously if it doesn't even meet the most basic definitions of such?

WN1MB likes this.
  15. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is still in the "Newsroom" forum. It may say video blah blah blah but it is still listed as news.