ad: elecraft

Shutoff of WWV-WWVH: two days left to the end of the subscription

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IZ2EWV, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. IZ2EWV

IZ2EWV Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember that the signatures, for asking the US Government to keep running the time & frequency standard stations WWV and WWVH, which the NIST wants to close for budget restrictions, end the day after tomorrow, 15 Sep 2018.

At now, few more than 19,000 signatures arrived, but 100,000 are needed.

Here the link where to sign in: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-funding-nist-stations-wwv-wwvh. All the people is welcome: OMs, friends, familiars, also non-US citizens (I'm Italian and, as far as I can know by the counter, my signature was accepted).

For those who don't understand the importance of these stations, which operate in the HF bands, it is not matter of the exact time - which is alternatively broadcasted from the GPS or in the Internet by the NTP - but they are very useful for propagation (and for the alignment of vintage radios, if we don't have a RF generator...).

Signing is very simple: name, surename, e-mail address and confirm the e-mail that you will receive immediately.

I cannot guess that, worldwide, there aren't 80,000 among we OMs and friends of us, who can take two minutes for signing!

Tnx ex 73 de
    Alberto, IZ2EWV

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Alberto means the deadline for signing the petition is fast approaching. WWV doesnt close down on Sept 15.

W7XLR, KC8VWM and KK5JY like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Click-bait-y headlines aren't helping WWV's cause a bit.

N0EE, KD5RJZ and K5KNV like this.
  4. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there's always CHU. It's close enough for government work!

5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Petition deadline to save WWV (etc) is two days away. That title is horribly misleading.

W7XLR, KX4O, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Given the OP lives in Italy, it's very possible English is not his first language.

How is your Italian? ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

W7XLR, N7ECV, N5MKH and 15 others like this.
  7. KK5JY

upload_2018-9-13_17-59-58.png

Indeed.

K5KNV likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Well, I sure didn't see the image before.

I stand corrected.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KK5JY

That is roughly half the size of the entire ARRL membership. When the ARRL last asked all amateurs in the US to participate in a poll, they got fewer than 8,000 responses.

Unfortunately, a petition requiring 100k signatures is probably not the right tool to save WWV. :(

W3MT, K3XR and KD5RJZ like this.
  10. K5LRS

K5LRS Ham Member QRZ Page

The younger hams (at least many of them) just don't use WWV or care what happens to it. Kind of like VOA the BBC broadcasts before they disappeared. Most don't work on their own equipment so they don't need a frequency standard. It's a shame, but that's the way many things go in this day.

N1SCA likes this.
  11. W7UUU

Sad but true.

Dave
    W7UUU

12. VE3KG

VE3KG Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, folks. Nature abhors a vacuum. The day after WWV shuts down, BWV will start up on those same frequencies. It may take some getting used to, but the numerals in Mandarin are easy to learn, and you'll always know what time it is in Beijing.

KC6ZKT, F4HPX, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  13. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I signed, for what it's worth.

14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

We hams are supposed to be able to keep our rigs inside the band limits, and should have some frequency reference that we can trust. The closer to the band edge, the better the needed reference. Those who work UHF-up need a more accurate & stable reference.
    For time and frequency, there are alternatives to WWV(H), such as GPS (http://www.gps.gov/). Propagation (or lack of it) is not an issue. There are a plethora of GPS Disciplined Oscillators available.

For example, I purchased an interface PCBA kit for my Kenwood TS-850S that drops in place of the SO-2 TCXO (link):
    [​IMG]
    ...and use it with an external 10 MHz source (GPS, Rubidium, etc).
    If the external source stops, the OE crystal oscillator is 'automagically' enabled.
    Now, when someone tells me I'm off frequency, I can say with confidence, "Nope." :)

N9ETB and N8VIL like this.
  15. W4CDO

W4CDO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've signed the petition.
    Jerry W4CDO