ad: elecraft

Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017 Quietly Killed Off

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Sep 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0RC

N0RC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With the passing of H.R.5515 - John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019, the Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017 (H.R.555 and S. 1534) appears it might be dead for this year.

What does the Amateur Radio Parity Act have to do with defence spending? H.R.555 was combined into the H.R.5515 defense spending bill where it passed the House. Once in the Senate, the Amateur Radio Parity Act language was quietly stripped out of the Defence bill, as noted in Politico's article on H.R.5515 (toward the bottom of the article).

The Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017 may not be expressly dead. At a 4% prognosis, it's not looking very good for this session.

AC2AE, KG5JAW, AC7DD and 4 others like this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

YAWN

KF7PCL, W4KVW, WZ7U and 6 others like this.
  3. K1AC

K1AC Ham Member QRZ Page

When Rick Scott wins, winner who will be left to block the book from leaving committee?

4. K3STG

K3STG Ham Member QRZ Page

it was an act without teeth anyway .... no great loss here

W4KVW, WJ8Y, K3FHP and 14 others like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The fall out from this HORRIBLY AND FATALLY WORDED version of the ARPA is a shakeup of the board of the ARRL.

How much money has been spent on ARPA altogether... One MILLION? Two MILLION? The incompetence of handful of people, IMO, raised huge legal bills--- and lodging bills in DC.

And no I am not talking about Motel 6, either.

ARRL---

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

[​IMG]

AC2AE, W4KVW, N0NZG and 27 others like this.
  6. WA9JOQ

WA9JOQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARPA seemed to me to be too good to be attainable from an amateur radio standpoint. Not surprised to see it get rejected. However thanks to all who worked hard to put forth the huge effort to get it passed.

KC6ZKT, N5PZJ, W7FED and 1 other person like this.
  7. KL4H

KL4H Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in a Restricted Deed HOA and would of welcomed some help.
    With so many new developments on the rise which are Deed Restricted it is not going to be long before it is impossible to to buy a house where you can put up an antenna.

It is a shame one person can ruin it for so many. I'm not even sure why Senator Nelson was the only person blocking every attempt to pass the legislation. Whats the reason? It just doesn't make sense.

N4KRX, N5PZJ and KF4ZKU like this.
  8. KL4H

KL4H Ham Member QRZ Page

How would you get Senator Nelson to stop blocking the legislation?

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't care less. Nor should you.

What you SHOULD care about is getting an ARPA BILL--FIRST-- that has language that MAPS THE NEEDS of the amateur radio service, without jeopardizing it.

THEN you can worry about Senator Nelson.

I have no problem communicating with Senator Nelson. He is a reasonable person.

W4HM, KD5BVX, WA1ZMS and 4 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Senator Nelson had support for removing the bill, from the amateur radio service. Do you think the guy makes decisions in a vacuum?

He obviously has problems with the government overreaching on extant private contracts.

WF2N and WA1ZMS like this.
  11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, your deed is restricted.
    That doesn't seem to stop you from having an antenna above your poolcage.:rolleyes:

12. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the big picture. Legislation gets blocked all of the time in Washington. That's politics. It's a lobbyist's job to change minds and sway the vote. It's the lobbyist's job to make sure that nobody is making a decision in a vacuum. The ARRL purports to be ham radio's lobbyist. They spent lots of member dollars "lobbying". To what end? They limp back to Newington and report to the membership that they were "blocked again" by those mean ol' folks in Washington. They cannot take NO for an answer if they want to get their agenda through in DC, and whether you agree with the league's agenda or not, you have to agree that their methods have had poor results.

13. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's Mr independent I don't take any money from the real estate industry. Never mind that $550,000. It has no effect on how I vote. Yea, right!

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/summary?cid=N00009926

If you're going to pass along BS at least make it realistic. EVERYBODY knows he's in the pocket of real estate. Uhh, that is everybody but those who live with their head in the sand.

KF7PCL, KC6ZKT, WD8ED and 1 other person like this.
  14. N4MTB

N4MTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Supporting this legislation was one of the reasons I renewed my ARRL membership. Just another disappointment.

15. KI4ZUI

KI4ZUI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet another reason I refused to renew membership. Screw you all.

WD8ED and NK2U like this.