ad: Radclub22-1

Yaesu to release 200W and 100W HF SDR Transceivers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Aug 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm...200 watts huh? That's funny...the only signals I hear are the FT-8 which for the most part these radios can't do key-down at full cranked up power anyway. You want real power punch? Go back to CW. The power/spectrum ratio is really way up there. FT-8 comes close but you can't rag chew on that mode.
    I thought it was really hilarious they even put PSK-31 on the IC-7600. It's hardly used anymore.
    SDR is here to stay - they gotta get the waterfalls to do a faster dance and wider slice. Just not robust yet...even with an external display which mostly copies the onboard display. No advantage.
    My 2c

W1RDT likes this.
  2. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too early to tell how to react to this announcement. We need details on features and performance!

3. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it will be the same as the rest. Any radio is quite good the last 30 years. Not the radio is important, but the antennas.

VK6APZ/SK2022, AG7JQ, KA2K and 3 others like this.
  4. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

No matter how many they sell...plenty of hams will still spell it as YEASU

W4KVW and AK5B like this.
  5. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks good I can't wait to see how it sounds.

6. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice looking rig. Radio's these days are superb. I wish I could afford one, lol.

7. K4JRC

K4JRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No knobs upload_2018-8-28_10-46-11.png

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh well.. I'll be keeping my 11-year old FT-2000D ... 200 watts, 2 receivers.. filtering good enough for me and several rig control programs for it if you like those...

9. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

The hams with a 3cx3000a7 will appreciate the 200 watts of drive. Now if an amplifier manufacturer would come out with a new version of the Henry 8k ultra. :eek:

N4MIT and WN2C like this.
  10. KI0EO

KI0EO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is it that Yaesu can not get past that serial port? Icom has.
    That would be the deal breaker for me.

11. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this an actual SDR or is it superhet that's down-converted to 9 MHz or something to that effect?

12. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you miss the USB connector? (Or 'port')

13. KF6RRR

KF6RRR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using an ICOM 775DSP -- two radios and 200 w. Right next to it is a Yaesu 897D and a 706 MKII. The extra half of an S unit that the 775 provides makes a real difference, no doubt about it. Lots of folks can't use an Amp but can use 200 W into a wire. Good for Yaesu. If they price it better than Icom's 7610, and if it works as well or better, it will take the lead. The 100 watt version will have to be a lot better than the ICOM 7300 and sell for around the commonly available price of $1,000 to make a difference. The standard to beat is the Apache Labs ANAN-8000DLE or Elecraft's K3S

K4ECD and KC2FQ like this.
  14. IK2ODD

IK2ODD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don’t break pileups with 100w ..... the same result with 200w. Better add one element to your antenna system.

15. AC7CW

AC7CW Ham Member QRZ Page

200 watts just feels better...