ad: k1jek

HR2.0 Episode 148: Unboxing the TYT TH-350 Triband HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Aug 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N1SCA, W6QY, N5PTV and 2 others like this.
  2. KB1NIJ

KB1NIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking forward to your part II post-use review, think it's a great idea.

Thanks and Semper Fi,
    KB1NIJ

3. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

For the R-CDC setup Menu, I AND N are not input and output they are Inverted and Normal receive Digital.

The I inverts the phase of the digital signal with respect to the N phase, this phase inversion may be required depending on the phase of the transmitted station.

4. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

great video again, but sadly I get bored about half ways thru

5. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this do simultaneous receive of more than 1 band?

6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One would LIKE TO THINK that would be a part of this INFOMERCIAL but....noooooooo!

You wanna take this question, Jason?

smh

7. KC2FQ

I'm not going to openly slam his reviews and videos but all of the comments here are accurate. Some of his longer reviews are 30 minutes and don't cover basic info.

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The sad part is that some newer hams learn everything they know about ham radio from videos like this that are full of bad information.

OP needs to learn about FCC equipment authorization. The Chinese put meaningless FCC logos and other markings on a lot of products that aren't FCC certified.

W8LGZ likes this.
  9. YO8HMH

YO8HMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Send one TYT TH- 350 for testing purposes to my QTH and I will post a well documented review. Search YO8HMH for QTH Adress

10. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the other critics. Disappointing video. Colossal waste of time. I can read written product specifications 15 times faster than anyone can talk about them, and learn more in the process. Sheesh! What a bore - watching somebody open a birthday present. And I care nothing about how it is packaged - there is nothing new or interesting in that. "Un-boxing" videos are for high school kids pretending they are audiophiles showing off a new pair of $40 headphones, and proclaiming them the best ever before plugging them into a their phones.

This MIGHT have been interesting and helpful had it been a carefully researched review of its features, capabilities, foibles and peccadilloes, based on extended experience. Perhaps he will have to return it to the vendor before he has any significant or substantial experience with it.

Worse yet are the painfully slow moving and poorly prepared "Ham College" videos. Shoot, in one episode they screwed around and chitty-chatted over coffee for more than 9 minutes, before admitting they could remember the topic! Nice guys ... poor product.

Yep - we have way too many self-appointed celebrities pretending they are experts, and the rest of us are helpless without them.

That's just MY take, anyway. I think I will wait for the book to come out. JR

KF7PCL, W8LGZ and AK5B like this.
  11. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not every video is going to be a hit. He's done some good ones in the past, however. His episode on UHF hotspots was a big help for me when I was new to the subject.

I think the problem with this one is too much intro and too much of the "unboxing" business. I wouldn't have spent more than 30-seconds on that--at most, and that just to describe the accessories that came with the radio.

AK5B likes this.
  12. KC2FQ

I actually used to do product reviews (high powered flashlights). It's not that difficult. How does the radio feel in the hand? Is it heavy, light, slippery, cheap feeling, solid feeling? It's okay to say all of those things. How hard is it to program a frequency after you do your "unboxing?" For instance, I was happy that I was able to put a repeater into the Anytone 868 dual band HT in 45 seconds without looking at the manual, complete with PL tone and all. Yes it was an analog freq on a DMR radio but try THAT with an MD-2017. How long does the battery last (PLEASE don't do THAT test with the camera running real time!)? How long does the battery take to charge (yeah, do that test OFF CAMERA too!)? What's the power output at each level? If it's a multi-band radio CAN IT RECEIVE MORE THAN ONE BAND AT THE SAME TIME? That has to be the BIGGEST question EVER when it comes to dual banders. If so can it receive V+V and/or U+U?

I've watched many of his videos where not even ONE of the above questions was answered. The 3 minute video reviews on www.universal-radio.com are far better.

W8LGZ, AK5B, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  13. K2DMG

K2DMG Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with this review is it was absolutely useless. Every radio can be programmed! Congrats for pointing that out. Now how about answering some of the questions that were already asked. My god, do you actually have advertisers paying you or giving you radios before everyone else can buy them for your review? If so, then review it!

Here is what we learned about the radio.

1. It's an HT
    2. It's black
    3. It has a battery
    4. It has an antenna
    5. It turns on and programs
    6. It has a charger
    7. It has 3 bands

GREAT REVIEW!

AK5B and KC2FQ like this.
  14. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, good comments! Yep, he just wants to be the first to get a so-called review posted, even if it is as useless as teats on a boar hog. He seems to be eat up DMR radios. Too bad he and his loyal fans don’t have a clue about HF. Its a whole lot more fun, more challenging, and more fulfilling to talk around the world by bouncing waves off the F layer than basically using a radio to make internet contacts. Meh... Here in DFW where he lives, we have dozens of repeaters which stay mostly silent except for the occasional rednecks who like to kerchunk them. What a waste...

KC9OFJ, W8LGZ and AK5B like this.
  15. N5PTV

N5PTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for taking the time to make the review video.
    73, Matt

KC5HWB likes this.