ad: Schulman-1

Ham radio technology used in Thailand cave rescue

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio technology used in Thailand cave rescue

UK radio amateur John Hey G3TDZ (SK) designed the special low frequency radio equipment, the Heyphone, used in the recent cave rescue in Thailand

On Facebook Phil Karn KA9Q posted:

Naturally I got interested in the technical aspects of the cave rescue in Thailand, particularly communications.
    They used the "Heyphone", a voice radio designed by a UK radio ham, John Hey, G3TDZ, as open-source hardware specifically for cave rescues.
    It uses upper (single) sideband voice on 87 kilohertz in the VLF (very low frequency) band. (That's what it says -- 87 kHz is actually LF).

The "antenna" consists of two stakes driven into the ground about 20m apart. Enough of the current between them fringes outward to couple to another antenna up to a few hundred meters away (or down).

John Hey passed away in 2016 so he didn't get to see his work used here. But ham radio should get some of the credit.

Phil Karn KA9Q
    https://facebook.com/phil.karn.98/posts/10155276627256486
    https://twitter.com/ka9q

John Hey G3TDZ Heyphone Cave Rescue Communication System http://bcra.org.uk/creg/heyphone/

Al Williams WD5GNR has written an article on Hackaday about the cave equipment
    https://hackaday.com/2018/07/11/ham-designed-gear-used-in-thailand-cave-rescue/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/july/ham-radio-technology-used-in-thailand-cave-rescue.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KM6SIK, K2NCC, AG5IX and 13 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. VA3ECO

VA3ECO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fascinating. Thanks for posting!

4. NA4RA

NA4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for posting this very interesting information! 73.
    BTW sorry about the WC loss to Croatia.. I had money on France vs England..oh well.

WA2CXA likes this.
  5. VE3VCG

VE3VCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very impressive technology to be sure. When I was studying for my Amateur Radio License recently I came across a number of examples of how HAM radio operators have created or imporved radio related technology over many years. New and exciting innovations and developments continue to keep this a very interesting hobby with some very practical applications.

G7GNS likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

G7GNS likes this.
  7. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In the US, its in the mission statement of Part 97:)

9. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

87 Khz? Now we're talking!

I predict a movie, hopefully without the damnation that hollywood is all to famous for.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    K9BPS likes this.
  10. VE3VCG

VE3VCG Ham Member QRZ Page

While I am still an Amateur novice, and still learning radio, I have a particular interest in the development of the emerging technologies associated with HAM radio. This is an interesting hobby to be sure, but in fact, as we all know, it serves a serious purpose. It's common to hear HAM's say that we "play radio," and that's all fine. However, I take some exception to saying things which might diminish the real value of a well tested and tried technology which can and does impact directly on the lives of others. Without being overly dramatic the cave rescue in Thailand illustrates the point rather well.

As another example, recently, major fires in western Canada dislocated thousands and totally destroyed communications infrastructure. Volunteer amateur operators successfully stepped in to help coordinate evacuations over a wide area. Using their unique skills and equipment those amateurs made a difference. There are countless examples like this as we are all aware. However, we may well be facing even larger emergency situations in the future. It is fairly well recognized that the aging power grid is vulnerable to all manner of issues. It is not hardened against the kinds of EMP's which the sun is able to produce. Indeed emergency planners everywhere have cited such an event as being critially important yet commonly overlooked as a budgetary priority.

As is the case with many infrastructre issues, all to commonly politics not practicality tend to dictate both policies and priorities. So it is that we are faced with crumbing roadways, unsound bridges and a power grid subject to failure when stressed. With those points in view, it's nice to join a community of people who well understand the real value of radio and are pushing ahead technology which will work when everything else fails.

KD9FEK, K7YB, WA2SVM and 1 other person like this.
  11. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

12. WD9IDV

WD9IDV Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a report that Elon Musk, in an effort to rescue everyone from the cave, was going to personally build a 500 foot tower in Thailand with a HF antenna system as huge a football field.

The transmitter was rumored to be 50 KW.

But first he he was going to get officially licensed and study for his exam while relaxing in southern France.

WB1E likes this.
  13. WD9IDV

WD9IDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgot to mention that after that, he intends to build the "wall" and use Official Observers on the guard posts.

14. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Tank you John for your help in saving those lives and Rest In Peace. Best 73's and SK.

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Huh? o_O