ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 122 - System Fusion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jul 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This Thursday (7/5) on Ham Talk Live!, Cory Sickles, WA3UVV will take your questions about System Fusion! We'll talk about how it works, and how it compares to other digital voice modes.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time (0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the call-in segment of the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

And don't forget, next week's WRTC show is at 8 am Eastern instead of 9 pm!
    wa3uvv.jpg Fusion3.jpg

2. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

System fusion = Hard pass.

3. KE8CCD

KE8CCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I will have to watch it on hamtalklive.com poscat, I have to work that night. I'm very interested in Fusion

4. MARRS

MARRS QRZ Member

I will watch it. I am interested in it.

KE8CCD likes this.
  5. WC4R

WC4R Ham Member QRZ Page

After playing with DMR and D-STAR for some time now, System Fusion is so much better. It spoiled me and I dumped those other two modes.

G3SEA and KE8CCD like this.
  6. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you feel that Fusion is so much better?

7. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

To my ear the Fusion audio sounds less robotic and more natural.
    I still think a fully modulated NBFM signal sounds better but then that's my ear ;)

G3SEA/KH6

WY7RF likes this.
  8. WC4R

WC4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Photos transfer with lower error rate. Voice quality is richer. Less digital artifacts noticed especially in weak signal areas.

WY7RF likes this.
  9. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

That may indeed be true for 10 meter HF /VHF /UHF but on HF the DSTAR format is necessary due to bandwidth limitations.

N0KEW likes this.
  10. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fusion has much better audible audio quality.

11. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

Fusion does not have much better audio. It has like maybe 10% better audio and you can’t do nearly as much with it. Dstar can transmit a photo and people can still talk. On fusion it ties up the repeater until the image is done.

The entire audio quality argument means nothing to me because on fusion everyone has their mic gain set different. One guy you can’t hear without cranking the volume all the way up, the next is totally overdriven. Real pleasureable to listen to.

Digital is so much more than audio quality. Hams do not care.

12. WC4R

WC4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Never considered D-Star on HF. Actually, who would even bother? You'd end up talking to yourself. o_O These modes are 'intended' for VHF+ anyway.

W2MIX likes this.
  13. MARRS

MARRS QRZ Member

Voice quality is richer. Less digital artifacts noticed especially in weak signal areas.