ad: CQMM-1

13 Colonies Totals

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N4USS, Jul 8, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4USS

N4USS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m a novice programmer. I created a web page where folks can enter there totals for the 13 Colonies event along with their callsign, state, and country. It has been an awesome event. If you worked it consider entering your info. Goal is to see how people did from different locations. 73 DE N4USS.

Link: http://www.bandhoppers.com/13col.php

NA1S, W4KSL, NZ4X and 4 others like this.
  2. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Data Added

N4FZ and N4USS like this.
  3. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Added my info. I'm missing K2H(MA). I know for a fact that I have about a 5% chance of reaching him. It is in my skip zone and I really struggle to reach anyone in that area. It took 4 months of nearly nightly trying to contact my friend on all bands, using digital.
    Never even saw GB13COL a single time on FT8 or SSB

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work Jeff. :)

Steve / W5BIB

5. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Data added, This is first year I remember working BOTH the WM3PEN and GB13COL along with the 13 Colonies! :) Gene

N4USS likes this.
  6. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked the 14 US stations on CW but could not make it through to GB13COL in that mode. Finally got him on 20m phone.

7. N4USS

This year I was on the air when the event started. I picked up 9 station in the first 2 hours. The hardest for me was GB13COL. Also had a tough time with K2D. Worked mostly SSB but did 2 on CW and 1 on FT8.

N4FZ likes this.
  8. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked all 13 with no bonus stations. SSB on 10, 20 and 40 meters.

K2H was tough. He was too weak to work the first few times I heard him but I finally caught him on 20m yesterday.

N4FZ likes this.
  9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally got him on 80m right near the end. My 66' OFCDipole can be tuned on 80/160 with a NVIS pattern. Unfortunately tuner arcing limits me to 25 watts so it is obviously a last resort.

N4FZ likes this.
  10. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

nice event!! never heard GB13COL on any band, any mode, lots of stations trying. got all the others
    I wonder what the working condx were over there, I heard quite a few "G" and "M" stations during but not GB13COL.
    Could always tell others were trying.
    I broke a wire off my paddle while trying to work one of the colonies - switched to hand key only to find that I need to use that from time to time.
    my brain can do the side2side but lost the up and down molecue. I should have put the key on its side, ha

11. N4USS

So far .... sorted by country and state. 38 entries so far with 495 contacts so we are missing a bunch. Still fun.
    upload_2018-7-8_21-3-40.png

NZ4X, VE3CGA and W5BIB like this.
  12. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

The contest is always great fun. This was my second year. One thing abot gb13col is they are going to get me to learn about dstar for next year.

13. G4FUT

G4FUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, reference FT8, I understand that the program could not accept our long callsign. ! Sorry about not copying our SSB. We were running our legal 400 watts ito a StepIR vertical for 7Mhz and a 3 element yagi at 50 feet for 14Mhz.

KG5THG likes this.
  14. G4FUT

G4FUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

-----------
    Have a look at my CW report on Facebook for GB13COL. I was the CW operator and worked very few VE stations, and for most of the time the US stations were afflicted with "auroral flutter". CNDX were pretty poor to say the least. Often both of the CW bands I was working would suddenly drop out completely. We still kept pounding (or should I say "swiping") the key; However when cndx were good we had HUGE pile-ups and after about 90 minutes of one of them the screws on my sideswiper key started to loosen, so causing some hilarious morse to be sent. BTW, one callsign had me scratching my head, .... it had continuous 11 dots in it, ! :p

KA0HCP likes this.
  15. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well condx were not the best. I never thought of looking at the solar/aurora sites to see if something was going on. Earlier today before the supper call, I was watching a G4 station on 20m going from -24 to -4 while working others on FT8.
    As for the disintegrating key/paddle maybe there should be a "broken paddle" award. In my anguish at trying to send 30wpm with a 5wpm straight key fist I never thought of switching over to fldigi, just couldnt make my hand convert over to the straight key.
    Anyway I'll be looking for the event next year.