ad: wmr-1

2 Days Off Grid with PowerFilm, Ham Radio and a Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jun 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators
    Topic of the day is off grid solar and battery power for ham radio and our Raspberry Pi.
    During March 2018 I took a short trip to 66 degrees North, to field test the solar powered ham radio field station. I had the 120 watt PowerFilm solar panel, the Yaesu FT-891, and a Raspberry Pi running WSJT-X and FLDigi. The entire station ran off grid for the 2 day excursion, completely powering itself, despite operating QRO, which I don't normally do out in the field. I suppose the goal was to finally throw caution to the wind, just get out there to see what happens.

In this video we discuss off grid, man portable and pack-able power. We also discuss the PowerFilm FM16-7200 120 watt folding solar panel, measuring its performance and ability to power the QRO field station. Finally, we discuss integration of the Raspberry Pi 3B+ into the field station, and address some mods to reduce its shortcomings.
    Julian oh8stn

VA3JFW, VK5FUSE, KW4WL and 3 others like this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

As an avid HFpack operator, I've gotta say, that Julian's station in this video looks like a lot of fun to put together and operate!

That's an impressive strategy for a backpackable HF 100W field unit, with the large fold up solar panel and modern Lithium battery system.

It is proof that we need not be limited to low power in the field anymore; especially important during poor propagation conditions.

Using the "local remoted" tiny Raspberry-Pi computer for digital modes and rig control, with that small on-board battery backup is a brilliant solution.

The video: Fabulous scenery in the forest clearing where Julian set up his station.
    Julian's signature voice-over narration work is informative, descriptive, and documentary-quality.

I subscribed to the OH8STN youtube channel... which is high praise, since I rarely subscribe to anything on youtube.

and I just added the OH8STN blog to my favorites. Julian's blog is an excellent reference for cutting edge lightweight HF station tech, and it dives deeper into some of the stuff on those videos.

OH8STN has really become a prime source of inspiration for modern HF field comm techniques.

Screen capture of the OH8STN youtube channel:

OH8STN_youtube_screen_cap.jpg

Screen capture of the OH8STN.ORG blog:

OH8STN_blog_screen_cap.jpg

-Bonnie KQ6XA

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    K5VZD and OH8STN like this.
  3. OH8STN

You're too kind Bonnie.
    There is so much more to learn and share.
    Julian oh8stn

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video, thanks.

That solar panel is $1,200, so let me ask a few questions:

• What was your average current consumption during QRO operations?
    • What was your average transmit power?
    • Did you operate at night, and did you carry a tent and camp gear?
    • What was the weight of your kit, all-in including backpack, food, water, tent, etc.?
    • Do you think you could have used a smaller panel for 48 hours of operations? If so, how much smaller...maybe 60 watts instead of 120 watts?
    • What antenna did you use?

I've installed my IC7300 into a PortableZero backpack, and everything for QRO operation including a 20AH Bioenno LiFePo fits with room to spare-with no solar panels yet-but considering two of these. If I'm going to add tent, food, and water I'll strap that pack to an Eberlestock external frame pack.

Thanks for the details...they matter.

Hugh WA2LXB

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    W4BIX, OH8STN and KQ6XA like this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

annual_solar_insolation.png solar_insolation_date.png
    Hi Hugh,

Considering Julian's arctic circle location, he needs roughly twice the solar panel rated capacity than we do in continental USA.
    It also depends a lot on cloud cover and sun exposure time (length of day).
    When I was operating on expeditions close to the equator (Borneo and Peru) I was amazed at the "improved output" of my solar panel, compared to California.
    Using the same solar panel, in the arctic circle it would have about 40% of the solar power we would get compared to the equator.
    The greater thickness of the atmosphere at higher latitudes, due to lower angle of sun, attenuates the sun's rays.

-Bonnie KQ6XA

The peak energy received at different latitudes changes throughout the year. This graph shows how the solar energy received at local noon each day of the year changes with latitude. At the equator (gray line), the peak energy changes very little throughout the year. At high northern (blue lines) and southern (green) latitudes, the seasonal change is extreme. (NASA illustration by Robert Simmon.)
    solar_insolation_date.png

annual_solar_insolation.png

The total energy received each day at the top of the atmosphere depends on latitude. The highest daily amounts of incoming energy (pale pink) occur at high latitudes in summer, when days are long, rather than at the equator. In winter, some polar latitudes receive no light at all (black). The Southern Hemisphere receives more energy during December (southern summer) than the Northern Hemisphere does in June (northern summer) because Earth’s orbit is not a perfect circle and Earth is slightly closer to the Sun during that part of its orbit. Total energy received ranges from 0 (during polar winter) to about 50 (during polar summer) megajoules per square meter per day.

AK2M and OH8STN like this.
  6. OH8STN

• What was your average current consumption during QRO operations? Great question but impossible to answer accurately. I didn't have the meter inline all the time. Next time out, I'll measure both incoming and outgoing current and give that answer.
    • What was your average transmit power? 75 watts.
    • Did you operate at night, and did you carry a tent and camp gear? I carried my Nortent Tipi 6, a yoga mat, JetBoil, 2 liters of water, dehydrated jambalaya, ... I would have used my Halti expedition pack but the weight didn't justify it. I was perfectly comfortable in this pack, so I didn't measure pack weight. I only cared if I could move effectively with the weight in the pack. I didnt operate at night.
    • What was the weight of your kit, all-in including backpack, food, water, tent, etc.? Redundant question.
    • Do you think you could have used a smaller panel for 48 hours of operations? If so, how much smaller...maybe 60 watts instead of 120 watts? Actually it's funny you mention 60 watts. I definitely think a 60 watt panel would have done the job and probably have been a better gear choice. I chose the 120 because I live so far north it's ridiculous. Choosing the 120 was a "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" choice. In hindsight, two 60 watt panels would have been a wiser choice. For the record I'm not promoting that panel, the video is simply showing what I used.
    • What antenna did you use? I used two different antennas during the weekend. In fact, antenna testing was the secondary reason for being in the field. I had a PackTenna Mini 9:1 random wire , and Chameleon EMCOMM 3 Portable, also a random wire. I didn't finish those tests, but I will next time out during July with videos to follow.
    It's important to point out this is a series. This first one was just a test to see is it possible, what are the logistics, how it's going to work out, ... it's nothing I haven't done before, but the challenge is documenting it all. The only thing I'm missing now, is my hiking trailer. My previous one isn't up to it. That may very well be the MonoWalker, but let's see. I have planned for 4 excursions during July. Then repeat during winter. The series is called "X Days Off Grid with (insert gear & goals)".

Julian oh8stn

W1CH and AK2M like this.
  7. WA2LXB

Thanks Bonnie and Julian. I hadn't even thought about the reduced sunlight at Julian's general location, as my brain saw "sunny spot" and "northern woods" and didn't think at all about latitude because the area in the video looks similar to my QTH.

After the ARRL Field Day this year I'll continue to develop my pack-portable gear. I appreciate the tent and antenna references. Please let us know how you like the two antennas, especially the EMCOMM 3 in its various configurations. Hopefully empirical testing will show that it's as advertised...a flexible antenna system if you keep a cheat sheet handy for how it needs to be deployed for various capabilities...from NVIS to DX.

I want to develop an ultra light weight 160-6 OCF or Carolina Windom for 150watts PEP max. I'm working with a friend to model it, but we are just getting started with EZNEC.

73, Hugh WA2LXB

OH8STN and KQ6XA like this.
  8. KB9RDS

KB9RDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe i missed something but here goes. This setup may be good for off grid fun in the field but if you use wsjt it seams worthless for Emcomm and you can not pass critical traffic using wsjt. So why do you state use in Emcomm, i do not understand this concept. Only thinking of Emcomm. My home station is 100% solar and i can and have passed traffic. What are the limits on your station using SSB or Winlink etc. Just mine and a general thought.

Steve Wendt USN (Ret)
    KB9RDS
    Indianapolis, IN

N3MLB likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you can get the 160m antenna high enough above the ground, it will just function like it's laying on the ground even when it's installed at a height of 30'.

An inverted L and large tophat verticals are much better choices for this band.

160m is a bit of a challenge for most portable setup operations. I have a portable wire dipole reel antenna that gets me down to 80m, but quite frankly I rarely operate on that band while portable.

IMAG0865[1].jpg

Most of the time I only need an antenna to operate on the "daytime bands" while portable anyways. Usually 10m - 20m is quite sufficient. 40m being a band used later in the evening while sitting by the campfire sort of thing.

In terms of solar power, I have around 85 watts I can take along...

IMAG0814.jpg

I am using much cheaper "CIGS solar panel technology" which is mil spec. and made for the U.S. military by the Global Solar Corporation. They work perfectly fine as an alternative to the much more expensive PowerFilm panels.

folding panel.jpg

You can get them here:

https://www.recycledgoods.com/globa...cigs-military-grade-panel-w-etfe-desert-camo/

I'm also using the same Genasun controller Julian is using and quite frankly, it's highly recommended.

These controllers are FCC certified and they generate no RF noise in your radio receiver unlike many other cheap solar panel controllers on the market do.

These are also true MPPT charge controllers which put more energy into your battery when measured on a power curve chart over a day of charging. So what this means is they work to maximize your solar panel charging capabilities even during cloudy overcast and low light conditions. Well worth the cost considering the idea they actually help to increase your solar panel output capabilities!

IMAG0738.jpg

Always enjoy watching Julian's videos and what he's doing with portable off grid radio operation. Seems like Julian is doing all the hard work testing everything so we don't have to. :) Always looking forward to watching his videos for some great helpful tips!

Thanks for another great video Julian!

US7IGN, N3MLB, AK2M and 3 others like this.
  10. OH8STN

Steve, this was a field test! The only limitation with the setup is ones imagination. WSJTX w<s shown in the video, since I used it for Anttenna testing (secondary reasons I was out there). The Raspberry Pi can run FLDigi, PAT Winlink, FSQ, FT8CALL, APRS, as well as all the other modes FLDigi offers. If you're searching for something, It does not play well with WIndows (thanks goodness)-
    Your station is 100% solar and can and has passed traffic. This station is man pack-able, completely self sustained, and can do most things your home station can. One thing your home station can't do it be carried 30 clicks into the foothills.
    Julian oh8stn

11. OH8STN

I can't find the comment now but someone said "I am doing all the hard work so the others don't have to". Honestly, I just got tired of hearing what wasn't possible, why it is done a certain way, and the don't bother it won't work. One example was the DIY LiFePO4 batteries. They made a 100 watt rucksack field station possible. Sometimes I "feel" like we have an ever expanding list of methods and tools to use, technology is moving forward, but we almost never do.
    The triggers for me were the Nepal earthquake, and Hurricane in Puerto Rico. Stories of volunteers not being able to get their comms gear where it was needed, or needing a truck to do that. Imagine the grid is down but we deploy gear which is grid dependent. Flexibility was missing from many f the methods.
    Perhaps my own methods are unorthodox, but I get a chance to learn what works and what doesn't for the field operator. I hope I never have to deploy again, but if I do, i'll be able to hike there, ski there, paddle there, and repel there with a lightweight and capable kit.
    So much to learn.

By the way, I appreciate the questions. It is very difficult to show everything in a video, but I usually augment the videos with answers to questions in the form of blog posts.

thanks everyone
    Julian oh8stn

AK2M and KC8VWM like this.
  12. KB9RDS

KB9RDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You Julian, you answered the question and thoughts i had.

Steve Wendt USN (Ret)
    KB9RDS
    Indianapolis, IN.

OH8STN likes this.
  13. OH8STN

It's pretty tough to get such a small station to be efficient in the field. If I might be completely forthcoming Steve, the lack of good software on portable devices is the biggest limiting factor.
    By the way, huge respect for the USN retired. If it wasn't for the Navy, this old Jarhead would still be in a few different pieces.

Julian oh8stn

14. WA2LXB

Lt. USN-IRR 1985-1994

KC8VWM likes this.
  15. WA2LXB

Great info Charles, thank you. It's always beneficial to see others' kits and what has worked and what hasn't. My first SOTA was with a sump pump backup battery and a 40lb go box. I'm gradually working that down. RE 160M at 30 feet, even if I get out just a couple of states away from NY that's good enough for me. I really like the OCF because it is so forgiving and flexible. With a wide range tuner (10:1) I am able to reach up to Ontario and out to Ohio with an 80 to 6 OCF on 160M. I've also made it to one of the islands off Washington state on 6M with it barefoot. That's why I'm interested in building something very much like you have on a couple of reels, ready to be hoisted up on 3 painter's poles or similar. Right now I have 3 Spiderbeam 40 foot telescopics, but at 14lbs each they are just too much to backpack around. Trees are often an option, using a fishing pole and sinker to get the antenna up in the air. I'm liking what I hear about Bioenno Power. They have a wide range of batteries, solar panels and a quality charge controller (MPPT-RFI free). I've copied a fair number of QRP'ers on CW, and they often suffer from QSB killing copy. I think that 20 watts is about the lowest I'd like to have for a SOTA/POTA/field transmitter, I already own the 7300 and at a fuzz over 9 lbs with 3:1 autotuner, it checks a lot of boxes for a packable radio. A bandscope, autotuner and 100 watts while portable should be against the law!

KC8VWM likes this.