ad: chuckmartin

New DX Club attracts over 250 members during first week

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MM0TWX, Jun 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Like RTTY and PSK31. :)

KD2NOM likes this.
  2. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like CW and SSB too

3. VK2WP

VK2WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck to this group, I did not sign up as already a member of the FISTS club which satisfies my on air needs. The more people whom promote real hands on conversations instead of auto computer contacts the better.

See you sometime on air at the key, my preferred mode.

AE7BT likes this.
  4. AE7BT

AE7BT Ham Member QRZ Page

Straight key has become my fave too.
    I just remember what 200 Meters and Down said about what happened when the “more efficient” Continuous Wave came in: the spark gap guys were up in arms at how CW was “ruining” ham radio.
    Real men use homebrew spark gap rigs! CW was for those lacking real skill and commitment. And so it goes... :)

5. KZ3I

KZ3I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

pleased to sign up...stated objectives align with mine...no signed pledge to turn in my computer was required. I wish this new club all the best in achieving it's goal of promoting CW and phone DX operating.
    Bill, KZ3I
    TBDXC member #77

6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT8 deluge has overwhelmed and forced urgent changes to the popular DX Cluster and Reverse Beacon Networks,

"“The most striking characteristic of FT8 spots is their sheer quantity,” the RBN announcement said, citing weekday statistics from May 23 and 24 when FT8 spots represented 86% and 87% of all spots, respectively, while CW spots were 13% and 14%, respectively, and RTTY spots were below 1%. Throughput on both days totaled some 30,000 spots."

Details,

http://www.arrl.org/news/reverse-beacon-network-beta-testing-separate-spot-stream-for-ft8

http://www.reversebeacon.net/pages/FT8+Announcement+40

7. K7UU

K7UU Ham Member QRZ Page

A long time ago amplitude modulation was king. Then it was eradicated by SSB. Modes will always evolve. The current anti-FT8 crowd reminds me of the old-time AM'ers who lost their battle to keep AM on top back in the early 60s. I know. I was there. The dog fights were epic. But why the disdain for FT8? FT8 operations don't interfere whatsoever with the SSB or CW portions of our bands. There is room for everybody.

P.S. I read some ham radi0-related blogs and see constant whining about FT8 coming from guys who apparently aren't even moderately computer literate. They simply can't figure out how to get on FT8...so they are against it. Some guys think FT8 is via the Internet -- not real ham radio. Sorry they're so uninformed. Without my real world transceiver and my real world antenna, FT8 would not be possible. But they won't listen. I came to digital late...last November. My SSB and CW operations have fallen off substantially -- really only for rare DXPeditions these days. FT8 is the first digital mode that has really appealed to me. I love it -- particularly as this confounded solar cycle continues to decline.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

In closing: THANK YOU!

P.S. There is hope. THANK YOU!

:D

Live and let live!