ad: CQMM-1

Building a Portable 20m Vertical Moxon Antenna by K5ACL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Apr 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's several on the web, 'The Stingy Ham' has one.. and a few others... thanks for sharing your setup :)

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am the writer of the stingy ham. Haha

What I mean is how someone simply took a thin rope to make an X for hanging the coax balanced down the center. I was impressed. Very simple. I hadn't thought of that.

Not related to the design for mounting. He did this with a wire moxon that was pulled out using just one point at each end, like a hammock. The X In the middle is strictly for holding the coax and balancing it from the middle of the antenna. This way, it takes fewer supports to put up a wire moxon.

I know how to do it, after seeing the photo. Just want to credit the place where I saw it, when I make the video.

W5KV likes this.
  3. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha! Sry I didn't connect the dots there - thanks for your post - was super helpful. Hope to try horizontal eventually!

KE0EYJ likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

Yeah, the different callsigns confuse. I'd change my USA one to my Korean call, but we're hoping to move in a year or two, and I'd just have to change it back.

W5KV likes this.
  5. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

You're profile pic has to be photo shopped:) You have a great place to play but wonder if any of that stuff is causing noise in your receive.

6. G4PWO

G4PWO Ham Member QRZ Page

quite - my thoughts around this are - what about using an endfed half wave matching unit to feed the element at the bottom?

might be worth a try!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

End fed is always preferable.
    The issue is insertion loss in the matching.

G4PWO likes this.
  8. KE0EYJ

Finished up my moxon video: