ad: M2Ant-1

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

So sad, I would lesson to him traveling back and fourth to Topeka and back home. And when home when I worked late shifts. I was always hoping I could catch him on the bands. I hope he was a christian man.

2. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cold, Not Funny. death is serious, no matter who you are.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know death is serious? Are you dead?

Take the comment in the spirit it was given. Mine and W5TTW's.

KG4YRY, W8KIC, KI6IPO and 1 other person like this.
  4. KG4KTL

KG4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember listening to his program when I too worked the graveyard shift.
    A few years later I got my ham ticket and used to converse with him on 3.840 MHZ often in the wee hours of the morning.
    He was always cordial and will be missed.

KG4YRY and W8KIC like this.
  5. WB5Q

WB5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

In addition to my passion for all thing amateur radio, I have been in broadcast radio too. I see Art Bell as a shining example of a true purveyor of great and addictive radio. What radio was and still should be...Great voice and such killer program content.
    Hope someone close will preserve his radio "ranch and his equipment.. The Antennas along are well worth preserving or at least relocating so they can still be put in use by a club near to his qth.
    He was definitely one reason I finally went out and got my ticket.
    RIP and God Bless you and yours.

John Carson wb5q

KG4YRY, KG4KTL, KV4BL and 1 other person like this.
  6. W6QD

W6QD Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest In Peace Art

Billy, w6qd

W8KIC likes this.
  7. AE0W

AE0W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too listened to Art while working the late shift and I think I heard him on 75 meters once or twice but couldn't work him since I didn't have the antenna for that band.

KV4BL likes this.
  8. KC7HDE

KC7HDE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened to his program for many years and have had the pleasure of talking with him on 75 meters as well.
    Wonderful man, he will be missed.

KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  9. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest in Peace Art. I used to listen most nights when I was on the overnight shift.

KG4YRY, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  10. AD7SJ

AD7SJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone else remember when Art "fixed" his laptop on the air by putting handgun rounds through it, or when he glued his lips shut. Boy I'll miss Art, truly stunned. 73 my friend

KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  11. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I loved Art's show, listened for many years. He was the best at his craft... no one could hold a candle to him when it came to the paranormal mixed with radio. His shows on UFO's, EVP's and remote-viewing kept me awake at night for many moons.

I would monitor 28.460 when 1o meters was open as he tended to operate on or near there on many occasions. I tried so hard to get in contact with him via Ham Radio, but never succeeded. I will always regret not having done that as yacking with Art on Ham radio was a favorite target of mine as far as the hobby goes. I frequently heard Art talk to K6MIX when 10 was open. Made a nice contact with him/Scotty, but never Art... sigh.

Used to dream of calling him on the show and saying; 'long time listener, first time caller'... I will definitely miss him.

So long, Art. A legend in radio has passed on.

PS - Coast to Coast is a great show... George Noory does a great job too... highly recommended.

W8KIC likes this.
  12. K4FLH

K4FLH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art is not dead. The mothership came and took him home. Enjoy the journey Art. We'll miss you.
    Bill K4FLH

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    N2NH and W8KIC like this.
  13. W6LDX

W6LDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Art Bell was a one of a kind person and broadcaster. I remember him lying on his back in his studio to help relieve his back pain. But he started a revolution that has gained momentum and shows no signs of slowing. George Noory does a good job as well as his guests, but Art Bell will never be equaled. Thanks to everyone who has made such positive comments about Art. My condolences to Asia Rayne Bell, Vincent Pontius Bell, Arthur William Bell, Lisa Minei Bell, and his wife, Airyn Ruiz Bell.

"Art Bell served in the U.S. Air Force as a medic during the Vietnam War and in his free time operated a pirate radio station at Amarillo Air Force Base. He would make a point of playing anti-war music (like "Eve of Destruction" and "Fortunate Son") that was not aired on the American Forces Network.[10]

After leaving military service he stayed in Asia, living on the Japanese island of Okinawa where he worked as a disc jockey for KSBK, the only non-military English-language station in Japan. While there, he set a Guinness World Record by staying on the air for 116 hours and 15 minutes. The money raised there allowed Bell to charter a Douglas DC-8, fly to Vietnam, and rescue 130 Vietnamese orphans stranded in Saigon at the war's end. They were eventually brought to the United States and adopted by American families."
    (from wikipedia)

Good-Bye Art

N2NH, W8KIC and N8QQE like this.
  14. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

I stayed up so many nights listening to Art. He was the pioneer of paranormal talk radio.

He would often get panic attacks before a show but after he got a cigarette lit and got the show going he was fine.

I lost so much sleep listening to his show. I finally bought one of the versacorders that he used to advertise for the C Crane company. It had a clock and timer in it that you could set to begin recording at a specific time. It ran at a very slow rpm so you could record a full show on 1 tape.

Art had a way of really controlling the show. Guests knew that he wouldn' take any crap.

I'm still a coast to coast am listener but George Noory is really just a puppet for Premiere Networks. Art was captain of his ship.

Will miss him. He was a ledgend!

N2NH and W8KIC like this.
  15. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

When did he pass?