ad: Halibut-1

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5EMS

N5EMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of his passing loved listening to him on his late night program.

KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  2. KC3AA

KC3AA Ham Member QRZ Page

He will be missed. I spoke to Art once on 6 meters while I lived in Pahrump. He seemed polite and a nice guy. His programs kept me entertained while working the graveyard shift for years! I drove by his home, I dubbed compound, a couple of times. He had quite an antenna array.... his wire loop antennas really stood out to be. Enjoy the cosmos Art!

Mike KC3AA (former KQ6MU)

3. NO7GX

NO7GX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Late night Coast to Coast with Art allowed me to focus and get to sleep. He also brought back that desire to become a HAM, study hard, and now I am. Thank you Art.

4. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a good trip home Mr. Bell, Always appreciated hearing you on the air

5. N4TCM

N4TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the pleasure to QSO with Art about a 1/2 dozen times and he always remembered me and could recall the last conversation we had, either that or he kept far better notes than I did. He will be missed and during a period of bad health on my part Art kept me company most nights till dawn. George Nori is alright, but he no Art Bell and some of great conversations Art had with Father Malici Martin and Richard Hoagland. I think it would be very fitting for them to play "Midnight at the Oasis" at his funeral.

7. N4TCM

N4TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Listened to Art back in the 90's while in college. I was a tech class ham back then and also an swl. Liked it when some of his subjects were shortwave & ham radio. Always liked the Philadelphia Experiment conspiracies....

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I met Art twice when he was here in L.A. (he grew up here, as far as I know).

Really nice guy, superb mobile setup!

He almost kick-started the "high fidelity" HF SSB revolution a long time ago, on 3840 kHz and then it spread to 14175 kHz.

I'm sad to hear of his passing. I think he married a much younger Filipina XYL only about ten years ago and hope she's doing okay. I did put her in touch with my own Filipina XYL years ago and they chit-chatted in Tagalog as "third party" comms on 75m.

He will be missed.

9. KD0YTE

KD0YTE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened to art a quite a few times. What always impressed me was that no matter how out there his callers were. He was always civil and willing to listen. i am sure sometimes he had to be laughing on the inside.

10. N9VMO

N9VMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I, like many others that have posted here, listened to Art during the overnight shift or while driving the roads of America during the wee hours.

The most memorable show (at least to me) was when he had Wayne Green, W2NSD, on the show and there was a heated conversation between the two and Art basically kicked Wayne off the show.

KC0IVF, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  11. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an original Art Bell Area 51 tin foil hat here somewhere.

W8KIC likes this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this is the same show to which you refer but its entertaining in parts nonetheless (wear a pair of deep wading boots! ;) )

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    KV4BL, W8KIC, W6ACC and 1 other person like this.
  13. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I chatted with Art on radio (Ham) years ago; he was constantly asking everyone "how do I sound"; that seemed to be a an over the top concern for Art. He had a decent radio voice and seemed to need to hear about that constantly.

W8KIC likes this.
  14. N6LEE

N6LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I will miss him dearly. I enjoyed listening to him back in the 80's. Love you my friend

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  15. N7NIT

N7NIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been familiar with Art Bell and Coast To Coast AM since the mid 1990's. Sometime during the 90's, I remember calling into his show from WA state and asking a question when Richard Hoagland was a guest. Both he and Mr Hoagland were courteous. I've listened to the show off and on over the years since he left it. George Knapp and George Nori are decent, but they are no Art Bell. I think that by far the best host they've had since Art was John B Wells, who served as guest host from time to time and who had a similar sounding voice to Art.

Anyway, sorry to hear of Art's passing and best wishes go to his family.