ad: MLSons-1

ICQ Podcast Episode 262 - Upgrading To Your Next Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K7RHT

K7RHT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Antenna's are like scopes on a gun, the better it is the better you can hit your target. So, invest in antenna's or do what hams are supposed to do, build your own, test and see what works and build more. Fun can still be had by all, but you may have to change your mindset and think about the digital modes as a new challenge. Sure, CW still works, but there are so many ways to enjoy the hobby today that were not available a few years ago that it is almost overwhelming. So, get out and experiment, and HAVE FUN!

K2NCC, KK5R and KB2QQM like this.
  2. NY7Z

NY7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of good choices out there. For me, my plan is to keep using my old Kenwood TS-850, which I simply love, until Kenwood comes out with their new TS-890, hopefully in the next year or so. I had a TS-590SG which was a great radio, but it was just too small and not enough front panel real estate to include independent knobs for all the adjustments I regularly fiddle with, like mic gain, compression, and RF power out. I also had a TS-940, great radio, but just a huge and heavy behemoth. The mid-size radios, like my 850, are juuuust right.

US7IGN likes this.
  3. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mzz-midi

I want one of these... Small footprint, only has to be 6 feet off the ground. Mounted vertically with a rotor it has nulling effects and they work great. Your friends and you could have it up it no time. Plus your neighbors will think it's yard art. win-win. 73..

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/technicalarticles/mzz-midi.pdf

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  4. KB2QQM

Building a Transmitting loop right now. Not perfect but its cheaper than a tower.

KK5R likes this.
  5. KB2QQM

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mzz-midi

just put this up. I want one.

6. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

What about a FT950?

7. KB6HRT

KB6HRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Started with the TS430 in 1983 it was a good radio for me, then a TS940s that was to much radio for me, whent back to the TS430s then a TS570s
    till right before 911 then a 756 PRO till the 756 Pro 3 then a ICOM 7600 and a TS590s, sold the ICOM and used the TS590S till I got a TS590SG
    then A TS990s an also a use a FT5000 still have both of these radios, if you love HAM radio as I do it don't get much better for this HAM radio operator, don't think, hear guy complaining about conditions some lately, with these two radios an 3 dipoles I hear plenty of station out there to talk to, I know we are at the bottom of a Sun Spot Cycle, no spots lately but there always signals out there to copy if you are willing to turn the VFO a little........73s.......kb6hrt

KK5R likes this.
  8. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have waited for this bottom of the sunspot cycle to end. Tuning across 20 meters and not hearing a peep, put everything on hold for me. But, I really believe that's behind us now and knowing that I made that special phone call to HRO and said, "I'd like to order the IC-7300, please!! Then 2 days later I had it here in my radio room. Talk about "HAPPY' I am very happy with it, and I'm working my share of daily DX as well. The receive audio with the internal speaker is noticeably clearer, and you will notice that after the first or second QSO. The time to wait is over. Think about it. It's time to live a little.

US7IGN and KK5R like this.
  9. KF5PAL

KF5PAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TS-480SAT for base use and just ordered an FT-891 for portable/Field Day. A storm killed my Spiderbeam last year with was my main 20m-10m antenna. I have a Tennadyne T6 LPA to replace it and it as been sitting on the shack floor in its box for over a year now. I haven't been motivated to install it with the current conditions. I made a DIY 2el 40m beam that I just installed yesterday after being on the ground for months. It's nice to be able to work Europe with a bit more ease. Hoping to snag some VK's and JA's on 40 as well.

KK5R and US7IGN like this.
  10. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya, whatever he just said.
    ;)

11. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm blessed with building height that puts my antennas between 50 and 75 feet, so I can put up wire moxons and yagis, and work out to 5 or 6,000 miles, most days from Seoul. Waiting for DL5RBW to finish up with a NZ station, so I can say hi, at the moment. Having a beam -- even a homebrew wire one, means I'll make 3 to 7 contacts on a day that I would be lucky to get 1 with a single wire.

Sadly, I'll be selling off pretty much my entire shack, if we move stateside next year. I won't have building height after that... probably will invest in something portable and simple. I will be a poor boy for a few years, as I attempt to re-enter the US workforce and support a family.

Maybe I'll pick up a Yaesu FT450D, or similar.

KK5R likes this.
  12. K6BBC

K6BBC Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe it's time for Amateurs to start buying American made products. Economic patriotism is not a bad thing and there are some excellent choices made right here in the USA.

US7IGN and WA2LXB like this.
  13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Japanese car in 1969 and pulled into a gas station for a fill-up. The gas jockey was a sourpuss. He was putting in the gas and I was taken aback when he looked at me and said, "I don't know why people buy these foreign cars. We make cars here in America. Buying a foreign car is not the American thing to do."

I was surprised by his remark and it took me a few seconds to respond. I said, "American car-makers can make anything. However, car-makers make the cars that THEY want to make and not always the cars that Americans want to buy. While it may not be the American thing to do when you buy a foreign car, it's a shame you have to go outside your own country to get what you want."

Sure, we buy radios made in Japan and China. The same radios made in America would cost more and not be any better, in my opinion. Note that radios made by Elecraft are the exception to this rule... However, price has to come into the equation, here. It's not a simple, one-issue factor when determining what one wants and needs.

Until American manufactures produce a competitive radio both cost-wise and in specifications, there will be foreign radios AND domestic radios on the market. If there were no competition and no open market, then we'd see some gross and unacceptable restrictions on what we can buy.

This is the bottom line: People's preferences and pocketbooks will be what drives the production/consumer market. This is nothing new. Think VW, for example.

For those who want an American radio, one that wins wars and is a powerhouse, effectiveness-wise, there are options but even these have their limitations as far as price, size, weight and availability are concerned. I'm thinking about the old R-390 and other radios of that ilk. However, by today's standards, not everyone would want to park that kind of radio on the operating bench.

When you can buy a foreign radio that does it all, even though it might not deflect a steel-jacketed round, there is still no argument in that everyone will buy what he/she wants and the name on the box does not matter when the brochure is read and decisions are made.

As long as there we have Walmart stores, there will be options.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    NA4RA likes this.
  14. IK2ODD

IK2ODD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using FTDX 3000 for a few years and It works fine. Good quality/price and don't ask nothing better. I touched IC7610 screen in ham fair and it's seems a nice toy with good receiver but too pricey for my opinion. Running full legal power into monobander I hope to have fun in worst conditions of propagation. If I could raise the antenna much more, at 100Ft. at least will be great.

KK5R likes this.
  15. LU3HBS

LU3HBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Flex Radio - la mejor opcion por U$2000. por que esperar

KK5R likes this.