ad: Schulman-1

2018 State of Ham Radio Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Support appreciated from all sources.

KK5R likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No,

Not talkin about Elmer's. Talking about extending, not imparting.

They don't want a history book. They want to make history. We do a poor job of that --overall--IMO. Was a time that crackin nu was phat and fresh.

As they say....

Your opinion may differ,

3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KN4AVP

KN4AVP Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4AVP
    I grew up in Grants Pass. My thinking is still influenced by that wonderful experience.

K2NCC likes this.
  5. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It goes far beyond foul language unfortunately. Broadcasting, jamming, harassment etc. Sad. It's only going to get worse if those blatant violations are not enforced.

KK5R likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Harassment is not an FCC violation. Foul language is not an FCC violation. People acting like idiots on the air and discussing subject matter you don't like to hear is also not an FCC violation. ...Get over it. (I don't like it either... but that's just how it is)

Making complaints about these two matters are an entirely pointless endeavor because they are not Part 97 violations regardless how you might personally feel or object to them doing so.

Any broadcasting and jamming are indeed FCC violations. Do you have any documented proof of this?

Enforcement starts with you! ...Proof means time stamped recordings clearly demonstrating the violation occurring and the call signs of the violators are included in the recordings.

Submission of violation recordings require a special procedure using the proper channels. Are you prepared to follow though correctly? Are you contacting the right people?

Most people like to bitch and complain about what they don't like hearing on the air (mostly on ham radio websites like this one) regardless if it's an actual very specific part 97 violation or not, however very few people are actually prepared to take the time required to collect the needed documentation according to specific protocols and procedures as required by the FCC.

Bottom line is whining and complaining does absolutely nothing whatsoever.... Action and proper documentation is required if you want to fix anything. That's the reality of the situation and just how it works. Anything else is just white background noise and it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. KA2K

Thank you. I agree 100% Aside from the recommendations for obtaining proof you have listed, I have not seen a clear procedure published to pursue submissions of violations. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. You Tube is filled with examples of violations but that's where it ends. Many times the violators do not use call signs or they are unintelligible. ARRL's take is to just "turn the vfo". If there isn't one already, there should be a published method for pursuing gross violations, laying out the "special procedures using the proper channels". It shouldn't be so complex as to discourage the process.
    On another note: The amateur radio community is encouraging our youth and children to get involved in the hobby, which I think is great. But who wants their kids listening to the crap happening on HF?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. KA2K

Seems the FCC reporting page is geared towards consumer complaints against Amateur radio and not FCC part 97 violations within the amateur radio community itself. Currently the Official Observer program is undergoing revamping and from what I have gathered this should be the starting point for reporting violations. FCC would be the last stage after the process winds its way through the ARRL. Will be interesting to see what changes are made to the OO program. Hopefully will improve the process of getting results. Regardless - virtually impossible for anyone without direction finding equipment to locate unidentified stations jamming the bands. It is what it is.

KK5R likes this.
  9. AC2BX

AC2BX Ham Member QRZ Page

good survey. Interesting results

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple cure. The ARRL should move the W1AW BROADCASTS to 7.200.

KK5R, KA2K, KF5RRF and 1 other person like this.
  11. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting survery. Being a very newly licensed Ham, most of the questions were not relevant at this moment in time. Just the same, I took the time to do the survey and will be curious as to the results.

12. KA6KBY

KA6KBY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good survey. But I found it contradictory. Couple questions asked about electronic participation to which I replied I didn't use them. Then POW 5 or 6 mandatory questions about electronic implementation. I had passed 'em because they didn't apply. Surprise ! unable to submit with out clicking 'em so I hit the neutral buttons. Probably will skew results on those questions , I'm sure I'm not only one this applies to.
    73's A4  II.jpg
    Bill KA6KBY

KK5R likes this.
  13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Prezactly! Aside from opining, and this includes advice as to how to document and submit "proof" of what everyone hears, who wants to show off his/her ham radio experience to a visitor or neighbor and heard some real gutter language as can be hear sometimes on 7200? Just spin the dial? Would anyone consider a mechanic "good" if he took a car to the mechanic with a complaint that it was making a weird noise and the mechanic said, "Just turn up the radio and keep the windows closed!"??? Sure, ignore a rattlesnake and it will not be a problem. Right!l

Broadcasting and not identifying to be ignored? And how many Good Hams have had their licenses suspended for this when they are in a long discussion on the sedentary bands with their friends? Some without warning, too. Sure, it's their fault for forgetting the Rules and Regulations and assuming that their conversation needs no clock or timer. But their license is suspended, anyway, while the dirty dogs on 7200 keep returning to their vomit.

The FCC is too busy with too few people working in the Amateur Division. Or, is there such a thing, anymore? Are they going to treat hams as they did CB by finding that the problem was too big to go after unless it was to big to ignore the actions on the part of a very few "bandits"?

A lot of "good" CBers became "good" hams and I believe that if this problem is not taken care of by the FCC in some way, there will come the day, I predict, that these same hams from the hinterland will resort to the "fixes" they learned as CBers regarding the renegades.

This whole thing bodes things that everyone should want to avoid. Much better to nip it in the bud, even though this "bud" is more like a bush on fire. Come up with some good ideas as to how to fix the problem unless the problem becomes so great that it fixes us good hams that do obey the Rules and Regulations as well as we possibly can. Spinning the dial or turning off the rig and wondering how it fits into one's future is not a solution for those us who like like the hobby and wish it had not turned into a community complete with more than its deserved share of trash-talkers. And it's now illegal while there is some testing of the limits of societal norms? And then questions of who assumes to know what are "social norms"???

Here is the key for knowing what is "normal":

A visiting preacher was to speak to a church one Sunday morning and was asked to spend the previous night with the pastor of that church. The visiting preacher was downstairs that Sunday morning going over the notes he would be using in the sermon at the church when he heard the master of the house, the pastor of the church, call down to his wife in the kitchen preparing breakfast, "Honey, is this shirt on the end of the bed clean?" The wife called back, "If it's doubtful, dirty!" (True story; that visiting preacher was my father.)

Does it matter that the chatter is legal or not? If it is not acceptable to the majority of the amateur community, then it matters since the ham bands are here for the good purposes of traditionally good hams and was so since the time it began. If the majority do not like it, then it goes beyond what is legal. Laws are supposed to establish what is NOT right and not to tell people what they are to do. It is supposed to set the limits. However, what is the recourse when even the limits are ignored?

For one, I do not need anyone to tell me that 7200 is peopled by those who need to be educated in what is socially acceptable and tell THEM to spin the dial.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    ND6M and KA2K like this.
  14. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

There are enough hams on the bands that it is highly probable that there are hams living near some of the "bad boys of 7200" who would know that it is from a local ham just by seeing the signal level on their S-meter. Floating in the neighborhood would reveal some big antenna and cause some investigation to happen. However, this will not happen because most do not see Ham Radio being their problem. It would then be a case of narrowing down on someone instead of letting the FCC do its job. Otherwise, it would be taking the law into their hands, the hands of a private individual. They'd rather be a dial-spinner.

In the days of when CB was King, some of those rascals found their coax pinned or a few feet of the coax missing after a long, dark night. Are we going to resort to such activity? For one, I'd rather sell out than take such action although it is what perhaps should be done. It would not physically harm the perp but it would stop the perp — at least for a time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    KA2K likes this.
  15. K2EZ

K2EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Due to distances it take a coordinated effort, but I agree they can be found. In fact in a coordinate effort the individuals often volunteer to help find so they can be on the inside so nobody is above suspicion.

Actually tracking down and outing the perps, just knowing it is real (and not the empty threats people always make on the air) will cut way down on participants. The ones that are hams, and many are, do they want the reputation?

Once identified and evidence collected and supplied the FCC is far more likely to take action...

And if the perps suffer some mischief...well I am not going to cry over it

KK5R likes this.