ad: Radclub22-1

Yaesu has it wrong! FT-891 RX/TX Current Test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Mar 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This kind of post is what needs to get users banned. It's complete fabrication.

Why do we put up with this, here?

N4FZ, K5WW and K1YYI like this.
  2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first saw the post you referenced, I thought at first it was an attempt toward being somehow humorously sarcastic. ;)

3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it's no longer in practice to draw and quarter someone.

4. K1YYI

K1YYI Ham Member QRZ Page

It really is a lost art

KK5R likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K1YYI likes this.
  6. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bought one of these used. Tried it for a few weeks -fixed, mobile and portable. Not a bad little portable radio for casual cw / ssb use. The menu setup does suck. As does the fact that many functions are not stored and are thus lost on band changes. I bought this to try against the receiver in the IC-7300. Well, this receiver is certainly OK with some good noise reduction DSP circuitry, but overall it's not as good as IC-7300; The ergonomics and basic regularly used functions are a lot more difficult to get to with the menu system . I'll keep the IC-7300, although this rig makes for a really small and portable setup for those times when size/space constraints are at hand. For $500 approx street price, it's not a bad radio. Certainly equal or better than the other $500-class radios (Alinco, FT-450, IC-718, TS-50 etc)

7. KJ6ZD

KJ6ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry about this, it wasn't really what I meant.
    Average as in averaging the consumption based on the readings, to get an idea how long it would run.
    Some oldtimer prefer a coil meter and say the heck with this DMM stuff, hi, hi.
    One could dissect the issue down to the individual electron (which is actually going the wrong way) or even to the atom, which would come close to hair splitting.
    Your tests are probably as close as it gets, anything else is probably not making a huge difference, anyway.

Thanks for the brain food,
    Cheers

8. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

What I meant also was it's not a matter of instantaneous readings, it's a matter of average readings which is the norm with root mean square when interpreting power readings.

As for the DMM versus a meter movement using an indicator needle, a meter movement does some averaging on its own by "smoothing" out any fluctuations and showing (usually) a relatively steady/stable meter needle indication. This is why the old techs usually tuned up the IFs using an old meter movement type multimeter since you can see immediately the effect of peaking/nulling. With the DMM, however, you have to "interpret" the quickly changing readings on the display and do an evaluation based mostly on experience while tuning.

Using an o'scope is similar to the DMM but it at least you see a constantly changing indication as you tune which is perfectly usable.

For many uses, the DMM's common trait of flickering digits when on the threshold of a higher or lower number is highly distracting — in my case, anyway.

9. K5WW

K5WW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever happened to "hung, drawn and quartered"? Seems to me that you're going way to soft on them. :D

KE0EYJ likes this.
  10. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And then decapitation and burial. You left off the good part, lol.

11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

actually, the good part was cut off

12. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

One ampere draw on receive is excessive enough if you're taking it portable. I take it that to most of you guys, "portable" means driving to a park and walking 25 feet to a picnic table with 25# of gear...(?)

I would say 100mA in receive would be my limit.

KK5R likes this.
  13. WJ6A

WJ6A Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no VHF or UHF in the IC-7300, so what does all this mean.vi used the FT-891 for over 6 hours running 15 watts, 15AH Lifepo4 battery and it still had charge left. The FT-891 is great for portable use.

WB4M and KK5R like this.
  14. KD5KC

KD5KC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a question..... but I wonder if anyone has tested the radio at reduced voltages? Like on a deep-cycle battery nearly empty. I have a few radios that will work down at 10v. But I have two IC-706 models, and let either fall below 12v and they sound terrible.

Thanks much.

15. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree fully....but watch your battery voltage. Somewhere between 12 an 11.5 V my SSB signal got rough....I'm not sure how bad it was but folks started mentioning it. I wish the 891 could be set for indicating Voltage continuously like the FT-817. Kind of a handy feature when operating on a battery!

Yep....if operating 100W. Anything more than 25 ft requires my FT-817.
    Anything more than a 1/4 mile requires my MTR3B.

They are all portable...some just require more effort! And lugging batteries is not fun at any age.