ad: M2Ant-1

Remembering a Silent Key. Name someone you miss.

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KE0EYJ, Mar 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll never go there again....

Were you an anchor clanker?

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have known a fair amount of Silent Keys over the years. Many I haven't known all that well. Outside of my dad, who wasn't active on the air but was the one who got me into the hobby the only other ham whose death really hit me hard was Gary W5ZL. I only knew Gary for a very short time, I met him when I was was regularly attending the Central Texas DX & Contest Club, at the time he was the President of the club. He welcomed me in the group and IMHO embodied what it really means to be an amateur. He is pictured below giving me the door prize I had won at the 2011 Summerfest, I had a chance to sit down with him that way and we talked for what seemed like quite a while as I learned about his history both in radio and outside of radio. He was a remarkable guy and one of those hams that I won't forget.

6023029170_ca5814c205_z.jpg

KE0EYJ likes this.
  3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss Frank Masure, KA7CGG.

He used to really light up a local repeater. Kinda and willing to tolerate the most obtuse offenders of logic. That repeater (W7LT) has since become nearly dead as he is.

Yet he became the instigator of a murder-suicide. Pissed me off to no end. I've never cried as much over another ham as I did him.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/police_identify_man_woman_foun.html
    http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/francis-frank-masure-ka7cgg-sk.263525
    https://www.qrz.com/db/KA7CGG

I helped clean up his shack, with the blessings of his brother, to sell the gear to go toward a local club he was a member of.
    Never have I seen such vultures trying to snag his crap. All I got out of the experience was a batch of roaches.

In spite of his horrible offense, I miss that old-fart...

frankka7cgg.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    KE0EYJ likes this.
  4. N2IPH/SK2022

N2IPH/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

My Elmer, Stan, WD2G (SK, 2012)

KE0EYJ likes this.
  5. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For me it's my dad first. Never licensed for amateur radio but held "KYB7436" CB license. We used to sit and listen for "skip" to see who we could hear. I'm licensed now because of my dad. He passed in the summer of 2012. Best man I've ever known - ever.

Two other SK's I miss. Wayne Burlew (K0UJG) died of cancer a few years before I got my ticket. Worked with him back in the 80's. He was the first person to help me actually talk in the ham bands via 3rd party on his HT. His wife now has K0UJG.

The other SK I miss is Padre - W0WPD. He used to be active on our local Tuesday night net and was one of the VE's who administered my XYL's license exam. He had a great radio voice.

Until we meet again... 73

AK5B, K2HAT and KE0EYJ like this.
  6. NE7TS

NE7TS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

w7tyq Gary Williams 73 my friend

K0VWA likes this.
  7. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

W2ONV.. The 1st stateside amateur i rx'ed as a shortwave listener, it was listening to bill on my Kenwood R-1000 that made my mind up abt taking the test myself..

8. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

"The Grim Reaper" has taken his toll on quite a few of my amateur radio friends.
    Some have lived to a ripe old age, and some have been taken away far too early.

One SK that has got a special place in my heart is Olle/SM6ECR
    that passed away from a heart condition in May 2002, only 51 years old.

We became friends at Uni during the mid-70's,
    and then worked together in a large number of projects, as he ran a consulting business
    which was doing design work for mainly industrial and communications electronics.

I came to use his expertise in both analogue and digital designs in many of the projects that I managed
    in the Coast Radio and Air/Ground systems.

Besides being a very talented engineer, he also was a very nice person with many other talents, such as music and arts.
    He also loved the sea and sailing which made it very appropriate that his legacy came to live on in the maritime VHF safety networks.

He is missed by family and by many friends and associates.
    "Do not weep that I have gone,but rejoice that I have been"

RIP Olle.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

K0VWA and K2HAT like this.
  9. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

His Son William D. has W2ONV as a Vanity call. Nice way to Honor his Dad.

Sareno (Bill) Salerno
    May 09, 1924 - August 12, 2007

[​IMG]

Obituary for Sareno (Bill) Salerno
    Sareno (Bill) Salerno
    age 83
    of Saddle Brook
    died August 12, 2007

Born in Garfield he lived in Saddle Brook for 48 years

He was a Communications Expert owning U.P.I Communications, Saddle Brook for over 25 years

He was a WWII Navy veteran

He was a parishioner of St. Philip the Apostle RC Church, Saddle Brook

He was an Amateur Radio Operator for 75 years

Survivors include
    his wife of 56 years Ann (nee Krause)

1 son Dr. William D. Salerno and wife Audrey of Wyckoff

1 brother Anthony Salerno of Westwood

2 sisters
    Rose Hammond of Parsippany
    Marie Matros of FL

Grandfather of Erica and Alexis

Predeceased by his brother Frank and his sisters Phyllis Kimball, Angela Gambrill, Teresa Alaimo, and Frances Lupusnak

Visiting will be from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 pm on Wednesday
    at the Aloia Funeral Home, 180 Harrison Ave., Garfield (973-340-7077).

A final visitation will be held at 10:00 am on Thursday, August 16, 2007
    in the funeral home, followed by a 11:00 am mass at
    Our Lady of Mount Virgin RC Church, Garfield

Entombment St. Mary Cemetery, Saddle Brook

In lieu of flowers contributions to The Bill Salerno (W2ONV) Memorial Fund of the A.R.R.L. Foundation, 225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/ne...-funeral-home-inc/sareno-bill-salerno/177059/

M3ONL likes this.
  10. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

Would love to hear his son using his dad's call on HF, to log the call for me would be a bucket list item ticked off..

K2HAT likes this.
  11. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss Charlie Kluttz ,W4TMR Foy Flowers, W4FOY Bud Bost, K4AGO
    Just talking to Charlie was an education. He forgot more in his lifetime than I ever knew. Foy and I had many great conversations during my commutes home from work. My Uncle Bud was my Elmer before there was any such thing as an Elmer. It is because of Bud that I and my wife are both Ham Radio Operators. I love all of you guys. Rest in peace y'all. See ya soon. Oh, Charlie, get those antenna wires strung up from tree to tree in heaven. I'll want to make a few phone contacts when I get there. 73 de John K4AGO (I got my Uncle Bud's call sign when he became SK)

K0VWA and K2HAT like this.
  12. WB4YZ

WB4YZ Ham Member QRZ Page

W4JKH KEN
    KG4LCW RALPH
    N4JPT ED

13. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W6OMF, Larry, Vacaville, CA My weak-signal VHF/UHF Elmer who passed on way too early in life
    KB6NAN, Diana, Pescadero, CA Six-meters gal Numero Uno; she always asked what my XYL was fixing for dinner every KH6>CA QSO
    W6ORS, Corky, Hilo, HI Fun guy to chat about antennas with and he stopped by the restaurant where I worked up on the volcano often.
    W6AAQ, Don Johnson, screwdriver antenna inventor and kind soul I was glad to have met
    W6CCP, Seymour (who in the world doesn't miss Seymour?)
    W5YU, Otto, Farmington, NM A true world-class 80M DX operator; SWL'd him for years before I was licensed.

Thinking of and remembering all of you in my daily life despite the passing of time.

A lasting 73,

Jeff

K0VWA likes this.
  14. W6RBC

W6RBC Ham Member QRZ Page

W2JIL Frank, W2OCM Frank, W2SKE Bill, K2MIB Igor et al. At 82, I am about the only one left from the great ham friends when I was K2IEG in NY 1955-1998.

15. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

W0NSW Milo "Mac" McNall probably the best Elmer I ever knew. Super nice and super smart. N0LLY Harold Eugene "Gene" Drybread, great guy always laughing. Ray N0KXL always had a great story to tell, worked lots of 10M FM with him around town..