ad: elecraft

ICQ Podcast Episode 262 - Upgrading To Your Next Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode, Martin is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Dan Romanchik KB6NU, and Ed Durrant DD5LP to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief, and this episode’s feature is - Upgrading to your next radio by Chris Howard M0TCH

ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast Donors

We would like to thank our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

PR Mention

Bill Barnes N3JIX sponsored a Pennsylvania QSO Award in the name of ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast - http://www.nittany-arc.net/paqsosponsor.html

News stories include:-
    • Nigeria Next to Get 60GHz
    • 2018 State of Ham Radio Survey
    • 2m Radio Support for Long Distance Walker
    • Irish Ham Radio Examination Report
    • Trevor Baylis, Wind-up Radio Inventor Passes
    • Reduced Power for Swedish Amateur Radio Operators
    • Radio Drone Makes KH6JF/MM Accessible Using FT8
    • Auction of Former Amateur Radio Spectrum
    • First Tunisian Individual Ham Radio Licenses Issued
    • D-STAR Repeater GB7IC Nears 2000 Registrations
    The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2018-3-18_19-33-4.png

AC7DD likes this.
  2. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm choosing not to make any large purchases (>$2,000) until the solar cycle is well on the way back up. Hopefully, by then the technologies available will be better. I'm an avid user of the TS-590 and I'm looking forward to the changes Kenwood will make in the next few years. I want to buy another used 590SG to pair with my 590S in the meantime.

NA4RA, W2RMT, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  3. KF5GTX

KF5GTX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am also choosing not to make any radio purchases until Yaesu comes out with a radio that does everything my FT-847 does (VHF/UHF/6m/HF/satellites/full duplex for sats, etc.). Until then, there is no reason for me to upgrade. My 847 works very well, despite its age. My elmer replaced all of the diodes and added the G4HUP IF Tap Kit to give me HDSDR capability and it works VERY well. Nice low noise floor too!

PY3ND, WD0FIA and K9PLG like this.
  4. KE8G

KE8G Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to be making a few purchases this year, but not a new rig. Right now I run a couple of Elecraft K3 radios... I am waiting for the next evolution of their product, the mystical K4!

K7RHT and WM6P like this.
  5. W2TH

W2TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll most likely be looking to buy a lightly used or new TS590SG to replace my aging TS440S.

6. W2STF

W2STF Ham Member QRZ Page

W2STF. I am presently using a OMNI VII. Excellent radio. I have worked 230 countries with it. I am 74 years young and will mostly likely purchase a ICOM 7610. I want to try some technology.

W2TH and WT4BT like this.
  7. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Meh...spend your money on more antennas.

KB0FKT, PY3ND, KE0EYJ and 8 others like this.
  8. YO3AOE

YO3AOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sensibilitatea receptoarelor statiilor s-a apropiat de limita maxima de 0,1uV,si oricum este limitata de zgomotul inerent al eterului si al antenei folosite.Selectivitatea este in prezent obtinuta prin filtre discrete distincte sau-si mai bine!-continuu reglabila intre zero Hz si o limita dorita la alegere. D.S.P.-uri-le audio permit aproape orice "jonglerii" in spectrul sonor,dupa dorinta si/sau necesitati. De asemenea,la emitatoarele statiilor se poate alege si regla atit modul de lucru,cit respectiv si puterea de iesire de r.f..Ce ne-a mai ramas?,doar sa asteptam si sa speram o propagare cit mai buna si sa experimentam diverse tipuri de antene,dar si asta este inca foarte mult!.73! de la Nelu-YO3AOE

VA7LDT and K7RHT like this.
  9. WM6P

WM6P Ham Member QRZ Page

Having just upgraded from an Elecraft K3 to a K3s, I am all set. Don't wait for the next cycle, enjoy some great hamming right now.
    WM6P

W5PFG, K7YB, KD2GHL and 3 others like this.
  10. WA2LXB

Yeah, I hear you. I find the challenges that sporadically optimal propagation presents makes you a better operator, a better student of monitoring propagation (empirical and theoretical) to take advantage of those moments of good propagation, and a better student of antenna design. It makes capturing DX all the more rewarding, and motivates you to improve your antenna systems. I'm making plenty of contacts, including using ground wave to keep in touch with local hams on HF.

RE current receivers being at or near the cosmic noise floor, I agree. Many near the top of Rob Sherwood's receiver test database are as good as a receiver can get for sensitivity.

Good thing Google translates Romanian :) 73-Hugh-WA2LXB

AC7DD and K7RHT like this.
  11. WA2LXB

Roger-roger.

12. KS3O

KS3O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this will be the "year of the hex beam" at my house. Better antennas is the way to go for me. I want a nicer rig, but until I have better antennas in the air, I could have the best receiver made, but it will make little difference without better antennas.

KK5R, G0KVL, N6RGR and 3 others like this.
  13. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just chose to upgrade my Station this year. I have been using a 1983 Ten Tec Omni D for the last 8 years. It still works great, but I wanted something that could connect to my computer(s), and I looked long and hard for radios. I wanted a Portable Rugged Radio that I could take portable and have at least 10 watts of power, and then go back home, turn the power down to milliwats to feed an Amp. All of the radios I looked at just do not fit the bill for rugged. The 817ND is nice but it's 5 watts. The Elad FM-Duo, great radio, but it's not rugged enough. The Xiegu, well I'm not paying $700 for Chinese MFJ. The LNR Precision Radios are really nice, but again, the form factor is not rugged enough. They would be rugged enough if the builder of RadioSetGo.com built them into a Box for transport and use. That would be a great radio then. I was hopeful the Yaesu Ft818 would come out and be 10-15 watts. 6 Watts !!? 6 Watts works great on a salt water beach in a DX entity, but not in North America. I also wanted to be able to have the radio set up as an SDR radio and take advantage of digital modes with one USB cable. Honestly, The KX2/3 radios are nice, but their form factor is not that rugged, but their operation and thought behind them is fantastic. Their resale value is also high. I also looked at the TenTec Argonaut. The best bet these days for a portable and home radio is the Yaesu FT-891. You can have one for under $700 and it beats the pants off the Icom 718. I also looked at the Alinco HF radios and wondered why they are still in business.

I opted to just buy a home radio, the Icom 7300. $1149. It is absolutely amazing that you can buy a full featured radio like the 7300 for less than $1200. I went to HRO in Milwaukee and sat down and operated the all the radios. I looked at the Yaesu FTdx1200, FTdx3000 ($1600), the Icom 7300, and the Kenwood TS590SG $1300. HRO also had a TenTec Omni VI used at another store, but I didn't operate it. I think they wanted $1000 for it. I wish HRO would sell Ten Tec Gear.

The Yaesu Radios are great radios. the FTdx3000 is never leaving your shack. It's as big as my old Yaesu FT1000MP. It makes everything visual for working phone on split and such. The Icom 7300 is a fun radio to look at. The Front Panadapter visual is nice for scanning the bands looking for DX. The Menu system is deep. This is the first radio I had to read the entire manual to figure out what everything is and does. It is Complex as hell, but once you get everything set up, you can just pop around and do what you need. The weird thing about the Power settings though, everything but AM, is 2-100 watts selectable. As a QRP nerd, I wanted complete control, down to a watt, but oh well. 2 watts will have to be the bottom. Digitally with software in the digital modes you can reduce your power down to milliwatts through a digital power reducer slider that can reduce your 2 watts down to milliwatts by not driving the soundcard as hard for your digital output. I had fun last night on the 7300 trying out FT8 and using only 0.100 watts on 80 and 160m. It was amazing. Anyway. The Kenwood was also awesome. It had everything the Icom 7300 had but not in a new streaming signal output on screen. Buy the Kenwood if you want the old style radio and not a crapload of menu's. I also liked the Digital display on the Kenwood. Of all the radios I looked at, the Kenwood was the easiest on the eyes visually. At almost 53, I have to wear glasses (no, not the ones in my gag photo..) to see the Icom. The Kenwood Display is easy to read. IF you are a CW op, the Icom 7300 transmit relay for full break-in sounds like 2 people playing Ping Pong. It's utterly ridiculous. The 1983 TenTec Omni D, has better full break in. Omg, it's terrible. If you are a cw op the 7300 is not for you, unless you don't mind hearing between sending.

There are so many options out there these days. The used market is also a treasure trove of radio. Good Luck, I just wanted to share my long winded insights into choosing a new radio. 73 Greg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    KK5R, KA2K and M0TCH like this.
  14. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For a long time any transceiver is more than enough for any ham, except snobs and so-called sportsmans. It makes no sense to change a properly working transceiver. Even if yours one is twenty-therty years old you can alinement it and use further. It is better to improve the antennas.
    I do not know of any reason why I should change my perfectly made ICOM 756pro3 and 706mk2g to new ones.

W4QBQ, W3JJW and G0KVL like this.
  15. WA2LXB

7300 is a Swiss Army knife IMO. I unplug it from the shack and take it to field day in a 19" rack enclosure with other goodies. I'm considering fastening the 7300 mobile mount through a backpack canvas and into the external frame of a Kelty pack to make it portable.

The KX3 is a great 1.3 lb radio with dual watch, it's light weight, can be fitted with an internal tuner and is very tolerant of low battery voltages, but it's only 10 watts. You can add a 100W amplifier with a tuner built in, but now the weight is 8.3 lbs total.

The QRP folks I associate with like to have 20 watts in the field. The 857D with an LDG tuner is a good combination, and is about 6lbs with tuner compared to the 7300's 9.6 lbs. But you don't get a band scope, it doesn't show up on Sherwood Engineering's reviews, and the screen is even worse for old eyes than the 7300.

One other way to make 10 watts go farther is to build and carry higher gain, light weight wire antennas when portable to enhance ERP. Wire beams, V beams, rhombics, etc. can all be light weight and portable.

KK5R and KB2QQM like this.