ad: CQMM-1

Ham Radio Now 394: Radio Relay International

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0DHG, Mar 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0DHG

W0DHG Ham Member QRZ Page

David W0DHG talks to Jim Wades WB8SWI and Joe Ames W3JY of Radio Relay International about the organization, it's beginnings, how it works, and why.
    Radio Relay International can be found at http://radio-relay.org/

WB6RCK and N0BML like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes,

'Why' is an interesting question.

I'm sure its not motivated by mesh networks....

Its the NTS with a 'new' name. "Similar conceptually".

Great idea to go off on your own (truly), but the "similar"ity to American Radio Relay League NAME is an unnecessary dig, IMO.

Joe did a nice job here ; but the name is problematic, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, my beef is not with the leadership here--they seem to have a clear focus and execution--but the NAME. Your opinion may differ.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

After watching and hearing the intelligence, knowledge and dedication of these guys makes me even more sad and outraged that the ARRL management chose the path of a final divorce rather then attempt further reconciliation of any conflict with them. Apparently current ARRL management created an ambiguity in the mission and/or is no longer seriously interested in conducting that style of operations.

Considering all else that has happened recently, the other unfortunate directions the majority of the League BoD has taken, it wouldn't be surprising to me to find a movement wanting to change THEIR name and acronym by dropping the historical ARRL title prefix and using just the more general and modern sounding Nat'l Assoc For Amateur Radio (NAAR) which was adopted officially as a "new identity" by EC board action in 1999.

A legal name change like that would make the descriptive name RRI no longer in conflict and actually more relevant for the new spin-off org's important specialized purpose.

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/arrl-soon-to-be-the-naar-hmmm.440955/

IMO, the ARRL-NAAR needs to stop the drain of organizational talent and intangible losses, as concrete ones will surely follow, by defining their mission more precisely, and then do better at pursuing unification within the various factionalized groups.

John, WØPV

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    W1YW likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

"The new identity (NAAR) --which is not a legal name change--will
    appear on League correspondence and publications.
    The
    traditional--and legal--name (ARRL) will be retained but de-emphasized.

Further discussion of any possible new name for the League has been
    deferred until the Board's January 2000 meeting
    ."

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive/ARLB047/1999

Thanks to Brennan N4QX, former ARRL CTO, for citing that link. He is a prime example of some of the other talent now missing within the ARRL.

6. KG5BIM

KG5BIM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like they are trying do duplicate the same things that Satern and the Hurricane Watch Net also Ares and Races. I know that the AARL pretended to be heavy lifters during last year`s hurricane season but it was Satern and some others that passed the traffic. No need to form another group to pass traffic when it is already being passed well.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Joe is showing strong leadership in this organization. Its credibility , based on its previous incarnation, is not subject to dispute.

Its very unfortunate that the ARRL could not resolve differences with these folks, but that's done and obviously people are moving forward.

The ARRL did not change its name in 2000. It added ON to it.

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Although the words are still the prefix of its official name the current dominant leadership of the National Association for Amateur Radio seems to be at best ambivalent and at worst repulsed about the "Radio Relay" aspect in it.

By their statements and actions there seems to be a continued desire to DE-emphasize this historic identity,

[​IMG]
    In exchange for only this future optic, as conveyed in many ARRL EMCOMM media promo's,

[​IMG]

Is the second image really an appropriate Public Service MISSION for the future of AR?

Is it what the majority of current MEMBERS want from THEIR League ??

I just don't see why they couldn't manage to keep both.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Anybody who sticks his tongue out, on CW ,and sends with just their index finger, probably deserves to have a head that looks like a light bulb

:)

W0PV and N8RWE like this.