ad: Flexradio-1

ARRL CEO Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, to Retire

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

01/18/2018
    ARRL’s chief executive officer for the past 2 years, Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, announced his retirement as CEO, as the ARRL Board of Directors prepares to meet January 19-20. He will step down on March 2. Gallagher, who had earlier advised ARRL President Rick Roderick, K5UR, of his intention to resign, expressed his gratitude to Roderick and the ARRL Board for giving him the opportunity to help guide the organization.
    “It has been my great privilege to serve in this capacity for 2 years, and I am deeply grateful to the Board and President Rick Roderick, K5UR, for their support and encouragement,” Gallagher said.
    President Roderick expressed appreciation for Gallagher’s contributions to ARRL. “The ARRL is in a transition to a new generation for Amateur Radio. Change doesn’t come easy,” Roderick said. “Tom helped us in taking that step forward, and for that we are very grateful for his service to the League and to Amateur Radio,” he said.
    Gallagher, 69, cited recent changes included in the new federal tax law that made it unattractive for him to continue working in Connecticut, where ARRL is headquartered. The Board will evaluate and determine the next steps to take in a search for his replacement when it meets this week.
    Among Gallagher’s chief accomplishments during his tenure as CEO were creating an enhanced level of professionalism and efficiency in the organization that represents more than 150,000 US Amateur Radio operators. Gallagher also oversaw a significant turnaround in the organization’s financial performance.
    Licensed in Pennsylvania in 1966 as WA3GRF (later N4GRF in North Carolina), Gallagher is a member of the West Palm Beach Amateur Radio Group. He has described himself as “an incurable HF DXer and inveterate tinkerer” and credits his first visit to the Franklin Institute’s Amateur Radio station W3TKQ in 1963 for inspiring his interest in ham radio.
    Amateur Radio led to an early career in broadcasting. He was a cameraman and technician with WGBH-TV in Boston, the CBS Television Network, and Metromedia’s WIP Radio in Philadelphia.
    Gallagher joined ARRL following 3 decades as an international investment banker and financial services executive. His career has included senior leadership positions with JP Morgan Chase & Co and CIBC Oppenheimer & Co in New York, and with Wachovia Capital Markets in Charlotte, North Carolina. He has also served as an adjunct professor at the Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University and as CEO of the Secondary School Admission Test Board in Princeton, New Jersey. He has served on boards, both public and non-profit, including two NYSE companies; the NPR affiliate in Charlotte, North Carolina; the Executive Board of The PENN Fund at the University of Pennsylvania, and The International Center of Photography.

Source: ARRL.org

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    K4CPM and W0BTU like this.
  2. K9YAW

K9YAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy to see him leave.

WB8NUT, W0FS, K4CPM and 4 others like this.
  3. WA8ZZL

WA8ZZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious about 3 things: at the age of 69, why would the tax reform bill have have any bearing on one's retirement plans, 2, just how would the tax reform bill impact CT, and 3, why even mention it?

WB8NUT, N3JSK, N3HOE and 7 others like this.
  4. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

So the questions are;

1. Did he in fact inherit a mess from the previous CEO, and was only trying to fix things in the manner he was accustomed to? or

2. Did he create the problems by fixing things in a manner he was accustomed to?

I think the truth is some of each. The timing of this is obvious, he felt the cold breeze at his back. This time they may think about promoting someone from within, who doesn't feel the need to reinvent the wheel.

Karma tells me to wish him well, and I do. This is an opportunity I hope the Board doesn't squander.

W4GCH, NL7W, K3RW and 4 others like this.
  5. WD4HXG

WD4HXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Why the delay in leaving? What about the support staff who can still carry through the proposed agenda?

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The background is that the new tax law limits to the Federal deductions for State and local income and property taxes. In a high tax state like CT that could be a significant amount of money if you have a large income and/or a large property. It's certainly plausible that it was a factor in his decision to step down.

As to why mention it? Usually some reason is given for top management leaving. Some typical ones are "pursue other opportunities", "more time with family", "retirement". This is the first I've heard anyone invoke unfavorable tax laws.

KK5R, MW1CFN, NY4I and 8 others like this.
  7. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About time maybe the ARRL can get back on track and get off the no test license.

W0FS, KF5RRF, K4CPM and 5 others like this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Typical "smoke & Mirrors" type reason.

Not to get political, but,.... Why should residents of other states have to effectively subsidize the taxes of people in Ct?

The PROBLEM is the Ct (and other states) taxpayers seem to want the benefits of the high taxes, but don't want to actually pay for them.

WD5ABC, KK5R, KB0HAW and 12 others like this.
  9. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Could it be that the CEO is stepping down because he was the prime mover behind the board's Code of Conduct and the censure of a director who dared to comment on it despite the "gag rule" it included, and is now feeling the blowback from these actions? Just wondering.

WB8NUT, AC0UV, KK5R and 19 others like this.
  10. N0TZU

Yes, let's NOT get into that. I was only trying to explain a tax fact in response to a question. What the tax policies ought to be is beyond the scope of this thread and belongs in the political forum.

KT4RK and KC8VWM like this.
  11. KA1VT

KA1VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you aren't allowed to run the ship, jump ship!

12. N0TZU

I would like to know "the rest of the story" sometime.

W0FS likes this.
  13. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a Connecticut thing. There is a lot of internal CT tax issues right now. Further, the guy is a financial person so I assume his savings and investments are considerable. Florida is probably a bit nicer to him on that.

K8XG, KK5R and N3HOE like this.
  14. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Not defending him, but, the salary he was getting was probably a pittance compared to what he could get elsewhere. He probably is well enough off that he took this job out of devotion to the hobby. Then he woke up one morning recently and realized there was a swarm of bees attacking, and said to himself 'the hell with this, these people don't appreciate talent when they see it, I'm outta here'. And so it is. He may have more wisdom than anyone gave him credit for.

K8XG, W8BFX, KK5R and 6 others like this.
  15. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

However Tom Gallagher does not live in CT, he lives in, and has lived in West Palm Beach, FL.

Given the current turmoil at the ARRL, www.myARRLvoice.org I believe this is not the last "retirement" or resignation we will see. Only the "reasons" will change.

John W5JON

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    KK5R, W0FS, AK9S and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.