ad: MLSons-1

ARRL Affiliated Contest Clubs criticize BOD actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No.

2. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they have made the magazine crappy. Next thing Gallagher will do is start printing it on single ply TP. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us.

W3JY/SK2022 and W4JHU like this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this link. It would have been in the OP if I had known then.

The FRC letter is especially significant, not just because of their awesome history, size, character, and well structured organization, but because it starts at the beginning of what IMO includes some root-causes of the apparent downward spiral in ARRL BOD relations with this membership.

I am referring to the late changes in the submitted ARPA wording, followed on the calendar by inadequately explained decisions in two BOD Divisional elections.

"ISSUES OF TRANSPARENCY

The feeling that we are not being told the whole story in League reporting has long been a concern among our resident ARRL followers. Alternative versions of events offered by independent sources have confirmed the validity of this skepticism time and again. The ARRL “spin” on the late-hour changes to HR555 was proven false and deceptive. Antenna Zoning experts K1VR and N3JT credibly argue the bill leaves those of us in HOA limiting situations worse off with passage of this legislation. We thank Director Woolweaver for blowing the whistle on the deception and the secrecy surrounding this action

A more troubling trend has been the complete absence of information from ARRL HQ explaining governance decisions. We look at the K4AC and K3RF election petition disqualifications and wonder what was the Ethics and Elections Committee thinking? We are still waiting for an accounting of their reasoning in both cases." ...

Much much more then that in the letter as well, including clearly listed recommendations. It is well worth reading in its entirety, here is the link again,

https://www.myarrlvoice.org/wp-content/uploads/FRC-ARRL-Letter-Jan-2018-Final-Draft-Rev-1.pdf

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    W3JY/SK2022 and AF6SA like this.
  4. N8GB

N8GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another issue that comes to mind concerning all of this is their counsel. I have been in situations where the BoD were being led astray by a rogue counsel that was being led by the CEO. Being that the ARRL CEO is given direction by the BoD, but ultimately works on his own, this situation is similar. Perhaps the CEO/BoD attorney are the folks in cahoots and they're leading the BoD around by their noses, or in fact, manipulating the roster of the BoD in some manner (or planning on doing just that) to further their own agendas.

Just food for thought.

W3JY/SK2022 and AF6SA like this.
  5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is exactly why the league needs term limits to all elected and appointed positions along with inside and outside counsel.

What's really disgusting is the waste of money that this is creating - mean while...we now have QST "lite" magazine, enforcement lobbying and spectrum lobbying efforts go unfunded.

The league leaders - board, CEO, President - all seem to have totally have lost the plot on why they exist.

At some stage, a call to disband the century-old leage and start anew, could echo in the hallways of Newington.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    W3JY/SK2022 likes this.
  6. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

K7JOE / Joe:

Amen!!!

I've been involved with TOO MANY 501(c)3's that didn't have term limits. It got to the point where, if you wanted to offer input or discuss a decision, the person(s) responsible would take it personally.

And, of course, they'd say "If you could do better, do it!" But they'd NEVER LET SOMEBODY ELSE DO IT.

A lot of 501(c)3's have a policy: a period to observe / learn; a period to do; and a period to guide / teach. And YOU'RE OUT!

For the League, I think a 1-2-1 year or, at most, a 2-2-2 year program would be appropriate.

After all, sooner or later, the directors are ready to go on to badder --- er, better --- things.

K9UR likes this.
  7. WA3DOG

WA3DOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

80 grit sheets would work fine and clean their minds a little!

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

This just appeared in my email today. CQ, The Radio Amateurs Journal, weighs in again. Some mighty powerful assertions,
    -----------------------
    "A CQ White Paper Follow-Up…
    ARRL: "We Have Met the Enemy … and He Is Us"

In our previous white paper on secrecy and censure at the ARRL, we asked "What is the ARRL So Afraid Of?" The answer is becoming disturbingly clear. The League's top leadership appears to be afraid of at least some members of its own board of directors, or to quote cartoonist Walt Kelly's Pogo Possum, "We have met the enemy … and he is us."

Proposed changes to the ARRL's Articles of Association and By-Laws, scheduled to be considered by the board later this month, appear to focus largely on tightening control over who may serve on the board of directors and impose Draconian sanctions on board members and officers who stray from the "party line." We find these proposals worrisome and feel they are inappropriate for a membership organization. Even more disturbing is a statement by the League's CEO that it's improper for the members to have seen these proposed changes before the board has had an opportunity to discuss and vote on them. ... "

Read the entire statement at this link,

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2018/01/cq-white-paper-follow-up-arrl-we-have.html

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

They should pen a white paper on their fraudulent business practices. They keep more secrets than the ARRL. At least the League will give you an arrogant answer.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps it takes one (CQ) to know one (ARRL) ? ;)

However, League leadership owes a lot more in return then just a magazine. Not just for the dues, but for all the volunteer labor, the stewarding of donations, and the intangible pride in membership they pitch.

73, John, WØPV

11. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

and why I dropped membership 6 years ago! It had started then!

12. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's my opinion, you can make it your own.
    Years ago, when the ARRL decided that amateurs who wanted to be involved in EMCOMM need to start paying the League for classes that weren't approved by local EMAs and were plagiarized from other free EMCOMM courses, proved to me the league is not interested in the lowly amateur radio operator, but only in the money they can extract from their wallets. Also, QST is an absolute joke of a magazine. Nothing but ads, and if there is a project, only an electronics engineer could build it, if he had the money. I canceled my membership long ago.

The only way you will get the ARRL to listen is through their pocketbook... quit renewing your membership. Maybe when it folds, there will be a true national amateur radio organization formed that cares about amateur radio as a hobby and a service.

WA8JXM, K9UR and KK8MM like this.
  13. KF7LF

KF7LF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked at the section level for years and was a Diamond Club ARRL member...my experience has been less than acceptable since Mr. Gallagher took over operations at HQ. Letters were written expressing problems and asking for assistance...all communication was ignored. My dollars and I are voting this year...renewal not!

14. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

15. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because not all members pay $40. Many are life members who paid long ago or family members who pay substantially less.