ad: ProAudio-1

Where Never Is Heard... ARRL Board "Code of Conduct" on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

If ARRL can use the recent Force of Fifty deployment as an entree, it can tap into FEMA monies for disaster response. The League will offer highly-skilled volunteer talent and get paid for it. Then it won't need memberships.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Now a days, Even a wire can not conduct itself properly.

When will the madness end ?

VE3EZB and WY7BG like this.
  3. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When they, er, induct some new board members? ;-)

4. W4JF

W4JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred,
    I can't really see where the test lab guy/guys would be influenced or told to skew standard performance testing to meet or exceed advertised expectations of the piece of equipment under review. That said, and to your point, placing a add on or near the test results is a poor decision and propagates the thoughts and perceptions you have expressed. Certainly a neophytic move on the part of the editor to allow this to occur.
    Joe W4JF

5. K3QNT

K3QNT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel this video was a fair and well-researched piece on the so-called Code of Condut. The ARRL board has clearly made
    a serious policy decision for whatever reason. I am still uncertain why such a doucument is even necessary. Do they not trust
    each other to act responsibly. Of what are they so afraid?
    73, Lloyd - K3QNT Bedford , PA

NL7W, NK2U, N6HCM and 1 other person like this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Squelching dissent, or even the appearance of dissent, keeps power in the hands of old and or senior ARRL board members and leaders.
    Don't expect openness from the ARRL... you'll never find it.

NK2U likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite frankly this is typical of large organizations representing "citizen" groups. They spend a lot of effort creating the illusion that they represent members. And to a small extent they do. But they have other agendas that take priority. And if elected officers don't support specific agendas they can get in hot water. I am a member of two such organizations...the ARRL being one of them. Although I dislike the negative aspects of both organizations they do provide a limited level of representation. And limited representation is better than NO representation.

NL7W, NK2U, N0IRS and 2 others like this.
  8. WY7BG

This is an endemic problem with "nonprofit" organizations in the US. The law doesn't require them to actually put their members' interests, or their chartered purposes, first. And so, it may not take long before the organization begins putting itself (and its officers and staff) first... and its members a distant second. Even writing strong restrictions or "poison pills" into an organization's bylaws may not help. The only thing that does seem to make a difference is economic pressure. That's why I will not join this organization, or pay dues to it, until it makes members' interests a priority again.

NK2U and N0IRS like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not convinced that the board members are in any way 'putting themselves first'. However, they obviously support an agenda for which dissent is not being accepted, IMO. What is a serious issue is their failure to explain the basis for their decisions, specifically with respect to various leadership issues.

HR555 is a major disaster as presently worded, but the board continues to support it as written, despite the fact that the failures of wording were brought to their attention. It is my understanding that Bob, K3RF was one of those who made the problems clear to the board. And now Bob's position as assistant director expires at the end of the month; he has been declined to be allowed to run for director, and has not been provided the reason(s) for that decision; and HR555 continues to loom as the killer of ham radio as we know it in the United States....

I feel it is very unfortunate that the board continues to support HR555 despite voluminous legal opinion showing that the wording is factually fatal for ham radio antennas in most of the land within the United States. That legal professionals who deal specifically with antennas--such as K3RF and K1VR-- have been discounted in that assessment indicates a very serious problem indeed, IMO, at the board level.

Bob, K3RF has the highest ethical standards and is it important that the alleged 'board' decision to forbid his director run NOT be interpreted as a 'Bob' problem, IMO.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    NL7W, NK2U and N0IRS like this.
  10. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Having served as the Product Review Editor for the then and still Editor from 2002-2003, I am reasonably certain that this specific and similar ad placements were not the Editor's call.

W1YW likes this.
  11. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing personal but I have to politely disagree with you.

Limited representation, which in my personal opinion really means "LOUSY" representation, is worse than no representation at all.

Look at the ARRL debacle concerning the flawed bills in both houses of the U.S. Congress over the CC&R and HOA thing. The bills are very flawed and will hurt many hamateurs if the U.S. Senate also passes it's version of the of bill. Yet the ARRL doubled down on the flawed language 2 years in a row. To me that's arrogance and incompetence.

I have disagreed with virtually all of their attempted changes to our great hobby for at least the past 10 years. Another crazy idea of theirs is regulation by bandwidth instead of by mode, which would destroy all of the digital modes sub bands.

I gave them many chances during the past 10 years. But I finally dumped my ARRL membership permanently earlier this year after many years as a member when my renewal showed up in the mail box.

I'm not trying to be political but I just have to say that dumping the ARRL felt almost as good as re-registering from being a 44 year Republican to an Independent, after their B.S in the 115th U.S. Congress.:)

Just saying.

73 & GUD DX,
    Thomas F. Giella, W4HM
    Lakeland, FL, USA

http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/spaceweather
    https://www.facebook.com/thomasfranklingiellaw4hm

NK2U likes this.
  12. WY7BG

I agree. The bill should be rewritten to instruct the FCC to extend its OTARD rules to amateur radio equipment.

13. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary, it has been my experience in Ham Radio clubs in general, that you're supposed to just shut up and vote for the single person that is offered on the ticket for the election.

NK2U and K2CIB like this.
  14. K8NY

K8NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well said comrade! Do svidaniya!

NK2U and AA5AZ like this.
  15. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never registered with a political party....51 years as an independent.
    I am a lifetime member of two organizations that were very different when I made the commitment years ago. If I had to commit today I'm not sure if would join either of them.

NL7W and NK2U like this.